4.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from my old Windtunnel with one drawback
I have actually been flirting with getting a new vacuum for some months. I had looked at the Dyson line, but balked, frankly, at the price point. Ye gods and little fishes...I couldn't get past it.

Published 22 months ago by Teahouse Fox

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed after 6 months....
I ordered this vacuum in May, 2013. When I received it, I absolutely loved it. It was so easy to use and so lightweight. The suction was very powerful which I needed with two pomeranians. It was so powerful that I had to clean the brush roll after vacuuming half of the house. I didn't mind. I truly felt that I found the perfect vacuum!!!
In November, 6 months...
Published 13 months ago by Ann

4.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from my old Windtunnel with one drawback, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Hoover WindTunnel Air Steerable Upright Vacuum, UH72400 (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

But thanks to imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, there are a great many vacuum manufacturers who are incorporating Dyson engineering or design elements into less pricey alternatives. My previous Hoover (model U5456-900) dates back to 1999, and with the exception of an indicator light that had died within a month of owning it, I have had no problems. Never affected the way the unit worked as far as I can tell. I was more than willing to give a Hoover cyclonic a try.

The UH72400 is a Windtunnel 3 with a bagless cyclonic canister. It has a smaller foot print than my old Hoover, and is quieter. This led me to wonder if it was cleaning as well, but no... it works just great. You do empty out the canister far more often than you change out a bag, but this is a little thing.

:Accessories: The UH72400 has exactly two accessories, a combination upholstery and crevice tool and the hose/handle. The hose handle combination looks like it was taken directly out of the Dyson playbook, except that the machine end of the hose must be manually switched into a suction port. The working end can be released and pulled out of the body (as just a short handle, or longer tube) to suck up small debris, but the full handle is not a telescoping variety. It turns out to be six inches shorter than the full accessory handle on my old Hoover, and I could not reach cobwebs in ceiling corners or curtain rods as easily.

The old accessories fit, though, so I could extend my reach, but still - no where to conveniently store them on the machine, even if you had any you could add on.

:Canister: The canister has a HEPA filter and a washable filter. I've been hand washing my old vacuums filters for years - just be sure they are bone dry before you reinsert them! The HEPA filter you don't wash, just knock the excess debris from it.

One button empties the canister, but unless the contents are heavy, it will need a little jiggle to flip open. =Fair warning= Do NOT shake the canister empty with a twisting motion to get debris out! When I did this, the canister/filter assembly neatly detached itself from the twist on top and handle and fell into the garbage can in a cloud of vacuum dust. Shake it up and down, perhaps a little side to side (carefully), but no twisting. That was a mess. They could probably stand to put a small friction point where the canister connects to the top to make it even slightly less easy to pop off unexpectedly during emptying.

:Cleaning head: It's surprising that the Windtunnel hasn't changed much in 14 years. The rotary brush is more or less the same, but there are some differences. The new unit is a lower profile, and rides low, easier to reach under furniture, or under cabinet doors. Unlike my old one, it does not have an adjustable height, but is supposed to auto adjust. Happily, this means it also flings less cat litter around when vacuuming stray litter from around the cat area, but I have no idea how well this will work on a lose pile carpet (like shag... SO 70's but still can be found in the wild). Instead of a foot switch, you just pres down the entire cleaning head. The rotary brush engages, and off you go.

:Operation: The unit has an electronic on/off pushbutton, which means it doesn't stay depressed once pushed on, and the only way to tell if it's on or off is if the motor turns on when you plug it in. On the flip side, because the rotary brushes in the Windtunnel head do not engage while the vacuum is in the fully upright position, you aren't likely to accidentally suck up the cat or anything. The maneuverability is a vast improvement over the old Hoover, and twisting the handle during operation easily changes course.

The unit is less cumbersome, and a bit lighter than the old one, so I could actually lift it and use it on stair treads, dog beds, and seat cushions.

:Bottom line: I ran my old Hoover over my rugs, vinyl and hardwood flooring Saturday. Four days later I ran the new Hoover Windtunnel Air over the same surfaces and got an impressive (or depressing, depending how you look at it!) amount of fine dirt and debris in the canister. Either I generate that much dust and dirt in four days, or my old vac wasn't cleaning as well as I thought.

My old Hoover had a two year warranty and needed two belt replacements and had a broken LED in 14 years. No major issues. The Windtunnel Air comes with a 5 year warranty, which I naturally haven't needed to test out as yet, but my past experiences with Hoover have been positive.

At this price, if you can live with the hose length issues, this is a very decent substitute for one of the more expensive cyclonics which are 2-3 times the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hardwood floors with area rugs, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the best vacuum I have ever owned. I LOVE it! Our main floor is all hardwood floors (even the kitchen) and with two toddlers in the house there seems to be no end to the crumbs everywhere. I have been using a Shark hardwood floor cleaner daily, and then also bring out the vacuum for the area rugs. I can now replace BOTH with this vacuum. The one touch on/off for the carpet beater is brilliant! I love going right from the hard floor to the rug and back again so easily.

It also has great suction. We haven't had a dog in the house for a year and a half, and the first time I vacuumed the rugs with this the canister ended up full of dog hair. Clearly our old vacuum (which was less than 6 months old) wasn't doing the job!
The vacuum was very easy to assemble and the is easy to empty. I also love the swivel steering.
Overall, this is a great vacuum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Hoover, May 22, 2013
I mostly hate vacuum cleaners. Better than a broom and dust pan, of course, but I've never found a machine that I liked enough to compel regular use. Vacuuming is drudgery and I put off engaging in drudgery for as long as possible.

We've purchased a variety of machines over the years to clean our carpet-free floors -- bagless, cordless, canister and upright. They all bring their own level of drudgery. The canisters have to be dragged around. Or carried! The bagless require intimate contact with the accumulated muck. The cordless don't have any power. I hate them all.

This machine doesn't completely remove the drudgery, but it does the best job we've come across at a reasonable cost.

Our biggest floor problem comes from dog ownership. One short-haired mutt, much shedding. Our window sills could use more regular help. The cobwebs in the corners might not become so interesting if we took an interest. This Hoover helps with all of those issues quite simply and in a way that lightweight machines can't and other full-size machines don't. Snip, snap, you're ready to go from floor cleaning to upholstery cleaning. You know why that didn't happen in our former machines? Because the myriad attachments were never where we needed them to be as they'd become broken or lost. This machine has one useful attachment, snuggled securely in its place and ready to work.

Excellent suction. Superb maneuverability. The dirt bin is the most easily emptied of any bagless machine we've used (although tissues or wrappers might need encouragement to dump). The cord is long enough to manage half our modest, one-story ranch-home before being relocated.

Four stars instead of five because it is loud (what vacuum isn't?), the cord is not retractable (at this price, I'm good with that), and the motor runs hot enough that I can feel the heat emanating while I'm working. It's heavy-like, but this is a full-size machine, so one should expect full-size weight. Since it doesn't need to be carried around the way some other vacuum cleaners do, and wheels about easily, the weight is a moot point. We're in a one-story house, though.

Good machine. Less drudgery. Clean house. Win. (At this price, if we had a two-story house we'd buy two of these machines to keep from carting it up and down the stairs, and it would still cost less than a Dyson.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Vacuum for Seniors, May 19, 2013
Time to give payback for all the helpful Amazon reviews I've taken advantage of...

For those of you hosting arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other unwelcome company, you know the best vacuum is the one you will use. I purchased two similar bagless uprights before finding this Hoover Steerable, and this is the winner by far for comfort and ease of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Parent's Best Friend: Easy to steer, lightweight vacuum, April 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love this vacuum. I have a three-year-old and a two-year-old and it's no exaggeration when I say that I vacuum my house every. single. day. Crushed goldfish, discarded Cheerios, pulverized graham crackers have all been ground into my carpets at some point.

Putting the vacuum together was a breeze. Everything was clearly labelled and literally just snaps together. I had it out of the box and vacuuming in less than five minutes. It is very sleek and streamlined in appearance. It pivots beautifully with even the slightest turn of a hand. When the brush rollers are engaged it moves forward easily, but has some natural resistance when you pull it back.

The design of the attachments is one of my favorite things about this vacuum cleaner. It's incredibly easy to switch between vacuum mode and attachment mode. You simply "plug" in the attachment hose to the labeled receptacle and you're good to go. You can choose between a long handled attachment or a shorter handled attachment. I feel like so much of the vacuum cleaner design is intuitive. I didn't feel like I needed to look things up in the manual.

It is also SUPER easy to switch from carpet to hard floors - simply turn off the brush rollers with the push of a button and you're ready for hard surfaces.

Emptying the canister was easy. I also appreciate that the instructions for cleaning and maintaining the filters is printed on the actual vacuum cleaner itself - it saves me from having to dig out the manual when it's time to do routine maintenance.

This really has been my favorite vacuum cleaner so far. It cleans my carpets well (as evidenced by the huge assortment of dirt and crumbs in the canister after a few swipes across my living room. This has been a mom's best friend. I love it.

I'm a big Pro/Con person, so here's my quick run-down on what I liked and disliked about the Hoover Wind Tunnel Air Steerable Upright Vacuum:

Pros:
*This vacuum can literally be steered with the turn of a wrist - it is very easy to navigate around furniture or corners.
*Low profile makes it easy to vacuum under chairs, couches, and other furniture pieces.
*See through hose makes it easy to see if there are obstructions.
*VERY easy to switch from carpet to hard surfaces with only the push of a button. No need to stoop down or turn any dials - simply turn off the brush roller.
*Easy to empty. You are able to stay relatively dirt free when emptying the canister.
*Lightweight and compact. This vacuum cleaner weighs 14 pounds and is much sleeker and slimmer than the Bissel I am replacing.
*I really like the way the hose attachment functions. It is incredibly easy to switch from vacuum mode to attachment mode simply by inserting the tubing into the attachment slot (they are very clearly labeled.)

Cons:
*The canister is rather small, meaning it will need to be emptied more frequently. I generally empty it after each day's use.
*There is no adjustment for carpet height. This is not a big deal for me since I have average height carpet, but it may be a concern for others.
*It didn't pick up popcorn kernels, it just kind of pushed them to the edge of the room where I was able to pick them up using the attachment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed after 6 months...., December 7, 2013
Ann (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
In November, 6 months later, the brush roll stopped working. I pulled out the manual and I tried to reset it with the "reset" button. It still would not work. I took the bottom panel off to check the belt and it was in good shape. I was at a loss. So disappointed, but I wanted to give Hoover a chance to make this right. So, I called their customer service. Couldn't get anyone on the phone as it was busy. So, I sent an email. I provided the serial number, manufacture code, and model number. I got an email back today. It said that my model was a redesign and the reset button was removed. They instructed how to reset the brush roll which I tried but it still did not work.
I am so disappointed. I feel like I got a refurbished model without knowing it. And it wasn't even operating properly!!
I have never posted a review before but I felt like this experience warranted it. I probably got a bad refurbished model. I always count on reviews on Amazon and it sounds like alot of people have had a good experience. I did not.
This experience will make me more cautious.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars NOT impressed. Low suction. Not For Pets. But lightweight!, April 15, 2013
Ok,
I am comparing this to my vacuum I have had for the past 2 years. It was having age problems and what I thought was a loss of suction and was too heavy. I thought I disliked it but after using this new one I am not so sure. I have always wanted a vacuum like a Dyson that was light, strong no loss suction and easy to maneuver and This one looked perfect.
I am NOT all that happy with it. Perhaps it is my fault for not reading it's details more slowly or closely to notice certain things.

NOTE: I can find no specifics on the size of the motor on the Amazon selling page description or in the Owners Manual of this Vacuum.

Pros:
-It is very lightweight in comparison to my Bissel Healthy Home bagless Vac (which is something I really wanted and needed).
-It is very easy to maneuver with it's swivel base and get into areas I could not with the other vac (like a dyson which is what I wanted).
-It is easy to clean the canister with a push of the button (which is what I wanted)
-Both filters are washable so no need to buy more Hepa filters (which is a plus to me)
-It looks nice
-It is one of the easiest vacuums I have ever put together out of the box
- It easily switches from carpet to bare floors with no adjustments needed (but you do have to push a button to stop the beater bars)
- The cord is pretty long like my old vacuum which I liked - 30ft
- The beater bars plastic covering is clear so you can see it just by looking down to know if it needs cleaning.
- It claims to have NO loss suction with Multi-cyclonic suction and says right on the front "Powerful" -Sounds Great!

Neutral:
The Handle pulls up and out for the Hose wand that is attached
No light on front
cord hangs on the side
Seems to be made of decent materials
comes with a 5 yr "limited" warranty

CONS:
- It is WEAK. I vacuum expecting it to pick up what my other 2 yr old vacuum did not, since my old vacuum has lost some suction power recently, but it picked up very little. It does not pick up anything unless you are directly over it. Another words it does not get things that are near or up against the vacuum head.
-It has a smaller cleaning path so I had to go over areas more, at least twice (luckily it's light so no shoulder strain)
-IT did NOT do a good job picking up dog hair. I have a indoor Sheltie and I found little hair in the canister compared to my old vac (which is not a Pet vacuum either. And for a brand new vacuum I expected much more.
-The canister is small and has to be emptied often.
-There is dust and dirt that gets trapped at the inside top of the canister along a rubber ring/ seal with grooves and I had to take the canister apart on the first use to get this debris out. So a simple push button to empty it was NOT what happened.
- The one and only attachment actually doubles as 2 -a crevice tool and upholstery brush (this should be a plus to some). BUT There is a push button you push in to slide the brush part down the shaft to use the crevice tool but this entire part is cheaply made and the push button is flimsy and I cannot see it last for the life of the vacuum. It is so poorly made that I cut the palm of my hand on the end of it where a sharp piece of plastic was left at a seam that should have been shaved off in quality control. I don't think this was made at the same factory as the rest of the vacuum parts.
- There is NO floor settings for different carpet heights so you have accept that it knows best and can self adjust.
- There are more steps in using the hose and wand then my other vacuums in the past. You have to pull the bottom of the hose out of it's stand, open a valve and stick it in then push the button to unlock and pull the wand / entire vacuum handle up and out to use. I care little for the whole vacuum handle to hold the wand design. It just makes it more bulky and heavier to me. My other previous vacuums... 2 steps pull the hose off the stand and use.
- On/Off Button is on the top of the canister base near instead of the handle for one handed cleaning or the bottom where you can use your foot. So when in use you have to use both hands and for me it's a negative because then I have to throw the extra long cord I am already holding in my hand over my shoulder while reaching down to turn it off.
- I am 5 ft and this vacuum feels to short for me! Seriously. The cord winds around on the side of the vacuum but is set pretty low where you have to bend down to near the bottom of the vacuum to wind or unwind it. They could have made it higher for more convenience
-------
Overall I am just not very happy with this New vacuum. I could learn to accept the new designs and what I see as a few flaws if it only had more suction power! It brags about never losing suction but it has very little IMO. It's good for light vacuuming with NO pets and for moving up and down stairs. For some this can be a great vacuum but I NEED more power. I am sure there is a decent price version of a lightweight easily maneuverable vacuum with more Power out there somewhere.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 18, 2013 11:15:34 AM PDT
Hi C. Fletcher. The Air Steerable should be one of the most powerful vacuums you've used. We'd like to trade you vacuums, if you're game. Our engineers would like to take a look at your unit to determine if something went awry with it. We'll send you a brand new one. Thanks so much for your thorough and thoughtful review. You can reach me at andy.netzel@ttifloorcare.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars AHHHHMAZING, July 1, 2013
we all know how stressful it is to shop for a new vacuum. Some people complain about certain functions of a vacuum while it might not bother others. People complained about the small head coverage thus making you have to do more vacuuming, the lack of parts, etc. The vacuum comes with your standard brush, an extension for the hose, and the diagonal part that connects to the hose (whatever it's called, I'm not a vacuum expert). MOST VACUUMS COME WITH THESE SAME PARTS. I had a Eureka 4D Pet Boss with HEPA, yadda yadda yadda. It had a big head and lengthy hose. But it was so heavy. My mom even complained when she'd use during her visits with me. This vacuum, however, it LIGHT. Those who complain about it being heavy need to go to the gym. 14lbs, really people? Grow a bisep. The swivel motion and smaller head on this vacuum was the answer to my prayers. It fits between the legs of my dinning chairs, under the edge of the couch, dressers, etc you name it! I love that. Who wants to take the hose to do all that? My husband is notorious for being a slob and he even was amazed and in love with this vacuum. The suction is GAAAA-REAT!!! It's easy to assemble and empty the canister. This vacuum is so light and easy to maneuver that I can actually vacuum my stairs with the upright position and I don't even have to use the hose! The vacuum actually picks up dirt off hard floors too! Did i mention this vacuum is AHHHHMAZING and the answer to all my vacuum fantasies? It doesn't fling the dirt on the hard floors at your ankles like your typical other house vacuums. Just turn the brush option off with the click of a button and it glides over hard floors and you can see it making you happy in just one push. I keep a pretty clean house, my husband says I'm OCD, but than again he's a slob, but you would not believe how much it sucks out of your carpet even if the carpet isn't that old. The hose has two lengths you can use too, which I found to be a great feature when I cleaned my car today. Having smaller accessories than I'm used to, it was actually better that way with cleaning the car. We have a husky, fluffy husky and her shedding is DRIVING ME NUTS. My trunk is even covered in her hair, so I have to vacuum my house every other day (if not everyday) and my car at least once a month. I was impressed at how easily it sucked up the hair with the slanted diagonal accessory. Anyway, I could go on and on about this vacuum like it was the guy of and in my dreams, but I won't. I think you all get my point. Try this vacuum. For the price it's more than worth it. Thank you HOOVER. This is my first product from you and I gotta say...THANK YOU!

4.0 out of 5 stars Oooh, it's LIGHT!, April 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had assorted carpet sweepers, canister vacuums and uprights, and the worst thing about any of them is that, as a rule, if they are light they don't have much suction; if they have great suction, they're tanks. I'm delighted to say that the Hoover WindTunnel Air Steerable Upright is noticeably lighter than any of my others (including Eureka and Kenmore), but the suction is just fine. It picked up kibble and cat hair, clay and paper, and I almost shed tears over how easy it was to vacuum dust from my venetian blinds with the attachment. A couple of notes, none of them deal breakers. The cup does not hold as much as a regular vacuum cleaner bag, so you do have to change it frequently. While everything is easy to assemble and disassemble by pressing a button here and twisting off something there, that can backfire...as when removing the cup and having the filter fall out and a cloud of dust emerge. Also, the instructions booklet needed a few more detailed pictures, because it wasn't totally clear that the cup has a hole that must align with a hole in the machine in order for suction to work. At first, I clicked in and twisted the cup-and-filter, it clicked into place, and I assumed it was fine. It wasn't. It's possible for the filter to click into the machine without the cup being properly aligned. A little trial and error worked that out, no big deal. Some really good news is that the filter supposedly lasts a lifetime, as well as the lubrication, so you don't need to buy new filters and oil anything. Although the cup needs to be emptied more than a bag, I figure I'll be saving at least $55 a year because I don't have to buy bags any more. My sister was present when I gave this vacuum its test run, and she particularly loved how it swiveled. I was less interested in that, but I did see that it slid farther under my bed than my previous machines, which I really appreciated. It's about as noisy as any other vacuum. It has a space-age look about it, with most of it transparent. The buttons are bright green and easy to spot. I would definitely recommend this, especially since it is so very light. At 14 pounds, it handles very easily, not like trundling a filled wheelbarrow. For anyone who can't manage heavy machinery, or has arthritis, this is the kind of vacuum to have. One more note: I would not encourage anyone to let kids use it. I'm not talking about toddlers, but some people have their older kids do chores around the house. The hose seems a bit flimsy and I can see it tearing if used by anyone careless - like some young teen trying to race through weekend chores. Older model vacuums can stand up to a lot of punishment; the Hoover looks as if it needs to be treated with respect, as most of it appears to be made of plastic. Since that material makes it so light, I'm perfectly willing to deal with it as is in exchange for the comfort of using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in so many ways, but not for thick, plush carpet, June 21, 2013
I do like so many things about this vacuum. I bought it to supplement a couple year old Hoover Windtunnel that is a great cleaner, but heavy to carry up and down stairs. I was going to use the old one upstairs in the bedrooms and use this on the lower two floors.

This is so light and maneuverable. The tool suction is above average, and even though you have to move the hose from one port to the other, that takes 2 seconds and is not a burden. This is great on floors and low pile carpet. It is SO light and easy to carry around and I love the narrow width of the floor nozzle as it fits and manuevers into and in between almost anything. I have always avoided bagless cleaners, but emptying this is not a chore and the bin is very easy to click in and out of the unit and is easy to take apart for more thorough cleaning.

It is feast or famine with this vacuum. As others have pointed out, on low pile carpet, this has tremendous suction. I have low pile berber in my bedrooms and this is excellent. It's almost hard to control it because it wants to race ahead of you. That makes it very easy to push and good on that carpet. It fits all the way under beds and furniture.

My main problem with it is that on my plusher carpet downstairs, it seems to do an OK job, but it does not seem to deep clean that carpet and does more surface cleaning and grooming. It even takes a few passes to lift up deep set foot prints in the carpet.

If you have a lot of floors and very low pile carpet or area or throw rugs, you can't go wrong with this. If you have very plush carpet, I think you need something more sturdy and with a height adjustment so that it hugs the carpet more closely.

i like this enough to keep it, but I will be using it upstairs in my bedrooms and bathroom and using the heavier Windtunnel for the downstairs areas with heavy, thick carpet.

Hoover WindTunnel Air Steerable Upright Vacuum, UH72400