3,859 Reviews

3,164 of 3,205 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Be Happier With My Hoover Vacuum Cleaner
Published on January 26, 2010 by Charlotte Mom

1,226 of 1,282 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great vac - but not for wood floors.
Published on September 8, 2010 by T.N.

3,164 of 3,205 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Be Happier With My Hoover Vacuum Cleaner, January 26, 2010
Charlotte Mom "CharlotteMom" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Upright, UH70120 (Kitchen)
I previously had a Hoover Windtunnel, it lasted two houses and over 9 years and it finally had enough of keeping up with our two children and 4 pets. So I went out to every website I could find with reviews on vacuum cleaners, including Amazon, and looked at everything from the Dyson, Kenmore, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and so many more. I promised myself that after I used my vacuum cleaner for 3 months I would help all those out there like me looking for a good review and let them know about my experience because the reviews were so helpful to me.
So after reading a bunch of reviews I was leaning towards a Dyson or a Kenmore Progressive. Well my friend had a Dirt Devil M140005 Vision Cyclonic 12 Amp Upright Vacuum Cleaner, a Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum, and a canister vacuum cleaner (forgot the brand) that she let me test out. Let's just say I hated all three, the Dirt Devil was a joke, the Kenmore was so heavy and a pain to use, the canister was a pain to use and none of them worked well with pet hair.
So then I went to a local store and looked at the Dyson DC 23 Motorhead and really considered paying over $400 for it. But then I looked down the aisle and there not too far down from it stood the Hoover UH70120 WindTunnel and it was only $100 so I decided to give the Hoover a try thinking if I wasn't satisfied I could take it back. I am so happy that I saved $300 and love how well my Hoover works. It sucks up pet hair off the furniture very well, I have hardwoods throughout my house and it picks up fur and dirt off the floor without blowing it around (the suction is great) and I only have 3 complaints but ya know for the price I can live with them. Complaint #1 I wish the powered hand tool stuck on a little bit better to the vacuum cleaner, if I am not careful to put it on correctly it falls off, so I need to be a little more careful, Complaint #2, empting out the canister can be a little bit dirty so I always do it outside and then it's fine, Complaint #3, I love the retractable cord, I just wish it were up a little higher instead of so low, it would just help keep it from going under the vacuum cleaner but, there is a little clip and if you clip the cord to the vacuum cleaner you don't have to worry about it going under the vacuum cleaner so problem solved.
So I say save your money instead of wasting it on a Dyson or a Kenmore for the price this vacuum cleaner is so worth it.

1,214 of 1,240 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum for a great price, January 14, 2010
I love this vacuum! It is one of the best purchases I've ever made.
PROS:
* Picks up so much hidden dirt in our thick carpet, it scared us the first time we looked in the canister!
* For how much power it has, it is actually very quiet - quieter than our old 10 amp vacuum.
* Turns on a dime and gets into nooks and crannies really well - we don't have to use the hand tools on every single wall edge.
* The attachment with moving brushes cleans stares amazingly well.
* No filters or bags to buy - this is a huge plus as we could never find a replacement filter for our old vacuum.
* The cord is very long and it retracts into the vacuum. Wow. I find wrapping up long cords so annoying. Having this cord self retract is actually kind of fun (ok, so I'm easily amused!)
* The color is trendy.
* It is fairly lightweight.
* I like that you can adjust the height for different carpet lengths. I know that this isn't a groundbreaking feature, but not all vacuums have it and it makes a big difference.
CONS:
* While it is comparatively lightweight, people that have a hard time lifting may find it a little heavy.
* Other reviews complain that pet hair can get stuck in the canister, and that at times you may have to reach in slightly with two fingers to pull the hairs out. To me, this is only a minor annoyance. With any bagless vacuum, there will usually be some occasional contact with the materials that you you are cleaning off of your carpets.
OVERALL: This is a great vacuum for the price. If this is within your price range, you should go for it.

UPDATE: 2 years later, and this vacuum is still amazing. Juan's list of pros is spot on.

However good this vacuum is for the price, it still isn't perfect. Here are some new Cons to add to my list.
CONS:
*The belt slips now and then. That being said, the belt has not yet snapped. The belt on my mother-in-laws Oreck . . . now that's another story. The belt reattaches fairly easily for me (with no tools needed, as Juan mentioned) but I can imagine a person in a weakened state (elderly, perhaps) would maybe have a little trouble stretching it back on.
*The canister has to be changed quite frequently. This is a Pro and a Con, in a way. It's a Pro, because the vacuum picks up dirt and hair so efficiently, that you can feel pretty confident about the cleanliness of the floor. It's a Con, because changing the canister every few minutes can be a little irritating at times. I'm guessing that there was some design reason for the canister being a little on the small side - my guess is that a bigger one would probably decrease suction power, thereby requiring a more powerful engine, which would, in turn, increase the price. Overall, this is a small Con.
* About a year ago, I noticed that the suction decreased dramatically. After some probing around, I realized the culprit; a clog in the internal chamber. Luckily, this was not very hard to fix. I unscrewed the screws on the backplate, removed the pieces that hold the internal hoses in place, and was eventually able to find the clog. Once unclogged, the vacuum was back to it's old self. Less ambitious people would probably just buy a new vacuum, but I really like it (and I'm really cheap) so to me this is not that big of a deal.
Which leads me to a new Pro.
PRO:
* This vacuum is actually quite easy to self-service. All of the screws that I found were the same size. Taking it apart and putting it back together was quite intuitive and simple. I'm not a super-mechanical guy, yet I was able to figure it out with relative ease. Even the filter is easy - wash it, dry it, reinsert.

Two years later, I still really love this vacuum. I'm sure there are nicer ones, but I doubt there are many at this price range. I still stand by my earlier assertion - this has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

NOTE: I've had some people comment about a misspelling. That wasn't a spelling mistake. The brush tool will clean the "stare" right off of anyone's face. Try it sometime. ;)

1,226 of 1,282 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great vac - but not for wood floors., September 8, 2010
I bought this vac and owned it just a few days and returned it. It is an excellent design and has superior suction but is not good for wood floors as the brush roll has no shutoff. That means when you're using the attachments or vacuuming wood floors, the brush roll is on and spinning. If the vac is on, the brushroll is on. Silly, really. Why spin the brushes on hardwood? Sure I could adjust the height adjustment but it's still silly to risk damage to your wood floors. Even Hoover's manual says "For optimal cleaning performance on bare floors, brushroll should be turned off." (Suction only mode only available on select models).

I rather pay more for a vacuum that has the ability to turn that off - and I did - I bought it's "brother" the hoover Windtunnel "PET" UH70210 which has 3 additional features. Besides the pet functions (which I don't need), the Hoover UH70210 WindTunnel® T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Upright has A) a headlight, B)brush roll SHUTOFF with a simple foot lever, and C) the handle can flip down to save space/height. But the main point is the shutoff for me!

This model - UH70120 is lightweight, has great suction, and the cord reel is fantastic! But I decided to get the slightly more expensive model with those 3 added features. If you only have carpet, get this model, it's cheaper. It left our small amount of carpet amazingly clean and new looking. But if you have wood or laminate, get the other one I mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Carpets Look and Feel Years Younger...Smell better too..., April 19, 2012
I dearly love my dog - a chocolate lab - but as of late the house was starting to smell...not fresh... Perhaps I needed a different vacuum cleaner to replace the canister vac that had finally run it's course. Being of a certain age (that means well into my 50s) I've had many, many years of housecleaning experience. I grew up with a Kenmore canister vac, and I used a Kenmore cansiter vac all my adult life . (No not the same one, I've a had a couple...) I hated the discharge smell from my old vacuum cleaner eventhough I change the bag every single time and I questioned how well it was picking up the pet hair. I did a little internet research, checked with various women folk and concluded I needed a Dyson bagless. Until I priced one. So back to the internet and Consumers Report. And - this model came up as pretty good and not too much money. So eventhough I figure that putting some decent money down for a good appliance is not usually a bad strategy, I decided to go cheap - Dyson $600, Hoover WindTunnel $100. In my mind I could not convince myself that the Dyson was 6 times better. And so I went cheap.

The RESULTS: This Hoover Windtunnel cleaned my rugs like they haven't been cleaned in ages. The sheer amount of gunk that the machine picked up was embarassing. And overnight my house smelled better. And my rugs were brighter. And they were cushier. Really - it lifted the pile. I am pleased, to say the least, and I am willing to put up with its bad points as long as it keeps on cleaning my rugs.

The bad points of this machine? Oh...there are a few...
1. It's made kinda cheap, no getting around it, but it's only $100 so it's actually pretty good for the money. I only paid $80 for it because of the $20 rebate and no shipping charge because I have Amazon Prime. For $80 I figured if I get a couple of years out of it, I'm still ahead, I don't mind if I have to replace it.

2. The hose - for heavens sake...you pull it out, put the attachment on, turn on the machine and the suction actually pulls on the hose so you kind of have to fight it to use it. Not so good - but I knew that was going to be an issue from reading the reviews. I was prepared to be underwhelmed...

3. Got a fair amount of wood floors? Get the model that has a switch for turning off the rotating head. It's not helpful to have the vac whirring around when you are doing bare floors - but again I knew that. I have a broom. And a dust mop. And not alot of bare floors.

4. The cord is short...at least shorter than what I've had before and shorter than what it should be. So - I get out my orange, three prong, heavy duty, manly extension cord that I took from my husband's shop and use that - and the vac reaches everywhere I need it to without unplugging it 5 times. Yes, I know you are not supposed to use an extension cord with vacuum cleaners, but it's okay if you use the heavy duty kind. No wimpy extension cords that you use for your lamps or Christmas candles on the window sill...

5. Emptying out the cansiter - no way around it - it's messy. I take it outside and dump it in a bag so the dust is not being reintroduced into the house. And I have to do that a couple of times - because it's still picking up a ton of gunk from my rugs. And that part is rather satisfying - "Look at all the dirt this thing pulled out of the rugs...dear, come and look... really - you gotta see it!!" The novelty will probably wear off in awhile.

6. The dog doesn't like this vacuum cleaner any better than the last one. Oh well. Too bad for her. Run doggie run.

ONE YEAR LATER FOLLOW-UP:
Soooo - just about one year later and the machine is still doing just about as well as when I first used it. Still sucking gunk and doggie hair out of the carpets. And still NO SMELL! And yes, I still marvel at the gunk in the canister as I dump it (messily, true) into the garbage. Would I buy another when the time comes? Yes. Do I recommend it? Yes. My daughter-in-law bought one (she has a dog) and loves it; I bought one for my daughter in college (she has a cat) and she loves it. Do the bad points I mentioned above still apply? Well yes, BUT - it hasn't broken yet so we're still good to go. And the dog still hates it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum Cleaner!, January 9, 2010
My daughter and her b/f gave me this vacuum cleaner for Christmas.
The first time I used it I could have sworn it was self-propelled.
I have a bad back and it was always difficult for me to drag the vacuum cleaner out and push it across the floor, never mind having to coil the cord back up after-wards. This vacuum is very light in comparison to my Dirt Devil.

I have a cat that sheds terribly and I was amazed at how much fur was collected, never mind the fine dust, etc. Emptying the cup was ok. Some of the fur got stuck at the bottom, I had to put two fingers in and pull it out.. no biggie!

All in all, I'm very happy with this product. No bags, no filters to buy, not even the Hepa filter needs to be replaced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give it 5 Stars instead of 4!, August 11, 2010
This vacuum is everything I'd hoped it would be, and I'd recommend it to anyone in the market for an upright in the range of $100. However, I would have to give anyone interested the following information before buying.

Pro's:
-The suction is great.
-Vacuum itself is lightweight.
-Cord winds up with the touch of a button.
-Canister is easily removed to dump the collected dirt and trash.
-Adjustable settings allow you to vacuum thick carpet or bare floor.

Con's:
-Hose connections are not quite long enough for certain tasks
-Recall was issued on this vacuum (dependent on date manufactured and date code printed on product) due to rewind feature and possible fire/shock hazard.
-Spinning Brush head continues to spin even when hose has been disconnected, or when vacuum is locked in upright position, creating continuous movement over carpet and potential carpet damage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoover knows how to create vacs, December 29, 2010
Robert Cattla (Phoenix, Arizona, United States Of America) - See all my reviews
I've been collecting vacuums for 8 years, so I know what it takes for a good vacuum. I bought this in April. I never used it much; I bought it to add a cyclonic vacuum to my collection. I had using a 1986 Hoover for almost half a year before I started to use this. Let me tell you something, the older the Hoover the better. A 1930s Hoover can out clean a 2010 Bissell.

So I ended up selling my '86 Hoover, and needed to choose a new vacuum to use. This was the one. This thing cleans better than the '86 Elite. This vacuum picks up so much from my carpet it's amazing. Even with 5 people an 3 pets its surprising.

To put it another way, Sanitaire(a VERY reliable brand) makes a bagless upright that has half the air-flow of this for $300. It seriously deep cleans carpets. This Hoover has about 3 times as much air-flow for under $100. Airflow is what cleans, not suction.

If you are looking for a new vacuum this is a good buy. It's not the best, but sure is close for a 2010 vacuum.

P.S If you comparing this is a Dyson, also known as a DIEsoon by us collectors, don't give it another thought. Dysons clean terribly and are over priced for what they offer. If you have $600 to spend, go for a Kirby, Riccar or Panasonic. They will clean carpet like you won't believe. Dysons' brush rolls are so stiff they are known to literally tear carpets.

I hope I've been of help!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum, especially for this price, January 18, 2011
UPDATE, 2/18/2011 -
Now that I have had this vacuum a month, I have noticed some issues that I feel are worth mentioning, and I am tempted to downgrade my review because of them. The biggest problem I have found is with the vacuum uptake tube in the head (not sure if that is what it is called, the part of the vacuum where the beater bar is). I noticed that the extension tube had great vacuum, but the power head kept causing the clog meter to go red and wasn't picking anything up, but instead blowing dust everywhere. I took it apart and found that the uptake tube in the head was clogged. It was so jam-packed with stuff that I had to use a plumbing snake to unclog it and even then I still had to blow down that hole to get all of the clogged junk dislodged and blown out. That tube is made of corrugated plastic, and it makes a sharp 90° turn. It is no wonder that things get clogged there, and I imagine I am going to have to frequently take the machine apart to unclog that area. I would still buy this vacuum again, but I think it is only fair to warn people about this problem. If you are not inclined to occasionally take it apart and clean it, this is probably not the vacuum for you. Another thing I noticed is that the beater bar runs off the same motor that creates the vacuum, so it is not going to be possible for me to wire in a switch to turn off the beater bar. The only way to stop the beater bar would be to remove the belt, and I might just do that if I am going to be using the hand tools for an extended period of time. Carrying around the vacuum is awkward, and setting it on its back takes away mobility. I doubt I will ever be able to use the hand tools on our carpeted stairs, so I will probably just get a separate hand-held vacuum for that job. Finally, I noticed that I don't really miss having a headlight and probably won't bother wiring one in.

ORIGINAL REVIEW, 1/18/2011 -
I just bought this vacuum today, and I came home this evening and really put it through its paces. If something goes tragically wrong with it later on, I will come back and downgrade my review. Otherwise, this thing is a solid 4-star piece of equipment (I would give 4.5 if that were possible).

I am moving soon and had to get a new vacuum right away, so I had to pay a little more than the Amazon price for it at a big box store, but even at $30 more it was still worth every penny. It is REALLY powerful. So much so that you had better make sure there are no table cloth ends or stray socks near the beater bar. This thing sucked up a whole man's L size sock and the motor was still spinning. Great power. My wife just vacuumed a couple of days ago with our cheap little Eureka Boss Superlite, but I went through the whole house again with this one, and still picked up two full dust cups of gunk.

I read through some of the reviews before buying this vacuum and I want to address some of the complaints that other people had.

1. "Cleaning the dust cup is too messy." I can see how that may be the case. Thankfully, I was well-prepared by other people's comments, and I stuck the dust cup down into the trash can before releasing the bottom - no mess around the trash can. I did have to stick a couple of fingers inside the dust cup to get some lint out, no big deal. To the lady that said she needs to wash her hands, change clothes, shower, and re-vacuum after she empties the dust cup, I might suggest you have a problem that is bigger than anything this vacuum created. Perhaps you should seek professional help.

2. "The little red plastic bezel around the cord hole is brittle and breaks easily." I can attest that the bezel was loose on my machine when I took it out of the box. It snapped right back into place. Even if it did break, so what? It is only a cosmetic piece. If mine breaks, I will probably just put some duct tape around the edges of the hole.

3. "Cord retract function doesn't work." So far, so good on mine. I have retracted it three times. If that becomes a problem I will come back and update my review. It is definitely a selling point, so that would be worth taking a star or two away.

4. "It is difficult to get the lid unscrewed to empty the dust cup." Lady, you are doing it wrong! There is a drop-out bottom on the dust cup that releases with the push of a lever, very easy. The top is a bit tight, but that only has to be taken off to clean the filter, not every time you empty the dust cup.

5. "It is too loud." You can't have everything, especially at this price. It seems like the people who complained about this vacuum want a powerful, light, quiet machine. I would suggest to them that they need to get one of those built-in vacuum systems in their houses. I don't have much of a frame of reference here, but I can say that this vacuum is more quiet than the Eureka Boss Superlite it is replacing, and no louder than any other vacuum I can ever remember.

6. "The beater bar in the paw extension stalls or doesn't turn." I tested out that extension on my stairs and it seems to work just fine. The manual does include instructions for cleaning that extension, and I imagine the folks that have this problem should try cleaning it. I will say that I wish it was a bit wider.

7. "The belt falls off." I haven't had this problem yet, but I already have a few solutions in mind if it does happen. There could be burned rubber residue on the beater bar that is making it slick so the belt slides off of it. I would suggest first trying to clean it with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. If it is still a problem, use some sand paper to rough up the area of the beater bar where the belt rides. That should make it seat better. If those things don't work, try putting a tie-wrap, hose clamp, or some duct tape to the outside of the belt so that it can't slide off the end of the beater bar. This vacuum has a very powerful motor, and if the beater bar gets stuck (like on a sock or tablecloth) the motor still keeps spinning. I imagine it is "polishing" the beater bar when it does that. This might be a legitimate design flaw, but I am confident I can find a way around it if it becomes a problem.

8. "Height adjuster doesn't work." It works on my new one, but I checked it on the floor model in the store and it didn't seem to change the height at all. That is not a huge issue for me. Every time I have had a vacuum with a height adjustment I ended up leaving it in the low setting all the time. I don't mind fighting a little harder when I know that means the bristles are doing more work.

Now, I do think there are some areas that the vacuum could be improved, and that is why I gave it four stars instead of five.

A. No headlight. There is already room on the chassis, so I don't know why they didn't spend a few cents more and wire in a headlight. I might just have to wire one in myself.

B. Cord too short. I can see how they might have been limited in that respect because the cord retracts into a small chamber, but it would be nice if it was longer.

C. Extension hose too short. Let me clarify something here. The extension hose is a heavy, soft rubber. Other vacuums I saw in the store had light plastic extension hoses, and I can just imagine them cracking or creasing easily. That won't be a problem on this Hoover vacuum, but because it is soft rubber and because the suction is so strong the hose constricts when the vacuum is on. That leaves little room to work with the extension, and it would be nice if that hose were longer.

D. Beater bar continues to spin when using extensions, there is no switch to turn off the brush. The next model up from this has that feature, but not this one. This is another thing that I don't understand. A simple SPST (on/off) switch is less than a dollar at a retail electronics store and probably much less in bulk. I don't know why they would skimp on something that probably only costs a few cents. As it stands, you have to put the vacuum on its back to use the extensions, otherwise risk burning the floor in one spot.

Overall, I am very pleased with this vacuum so far. I think that, once I have had it a few months and I am convinced it is not a lemon, I will wire in a headlight and a brush on/off switch. Then it will be much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sucks great!, April 12, 2010
I was embarassed after seeing what this vacuum got out of my rugs and carpets. Apparently I might as well have not been vacuuming the past 10 years with my old Bissell. I did a test and used my old vacuum on a rug we just bought 5 months ago, and then used this new Hoover.
Vacuumed with the old one, with a brand new bag in it...ok. Vacuumed with the Hoover, OMG!!! Where was all that dirt/dust/hair hiding??? It had half a canister full of who knows what.

I eventually did my entire house. Wall to wall carpeting in the bedrooms and other area rugs. When all was said and done I had an entire grocery bag full of crap what was in my rugs!!! The air felt and smelled almost cleaner even immediately after using this vacuum.

The only downsides are, this model doesn't have a light. Which I didn't think I'd miss until I busted out the flashlight to get into tight or dark areas that I could not see...oh well. It doesn't have an on/off brushroll...which some might wish it did. I however, don't usually vacuum my hard floors, I usually Swiffer them, so it isn't really an issue for me. The little bit more expensive "pet" model had a carbon filter, which might have been nice for when I vacuum up cat litter and such. But those few cons didn't really stack up to the $50-60 price difference it would have been...so overall I am really happy with this model. It does what it needs to. And apparently 10x better than my old vacuum was. That vacuum went out to the trash that night.

I have never been so excited to vacuum before! Oh and the retracable cord is super. I didn't think I'd really care about it, but you literally have the cord put away in about 5 seconds, no more winding! I just worry over time it will break or something, but I'm just careful with it. I really can't say enough good things about this vacuum. Having never had a Hoover before I can't really compare it. I've used Eureka and Bissell before. And never had a bagless before either. But I am very pleased with this vacuum. I got it at $100 so I think for that price it does a GREAT job. I can't imagine how something for hundreds of more dollars like a Dyson or anything, could be THAT much better???

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Windtunnel, not just because its green :), March 6, 2010
I LOVE this vacuum! The vacuum before this one, which is in the shop again was an expensive Bissell which was a giant waste of money. It doesn't have nearly the power this one seems to have. I thought I had clean floors until I ran this the first time. For someone that cleans their carpet regularly and vacuums all the time, my old vacuum must have been a bigger piece of garbage than I could imagine.

This Windtunnel has picked up dirt I didn't know existed in my carpet. Not only is the power good, I love the retractable cord. That is a feature I didn't think I'd like, and could definitely live without. Well, I have completely changed my mind there.

I haven't had any issues with the on board tools and they stay in place in their storage much better than other vacuums I've owned.

The vacuum doesn't weigh as much as others I've owned. I LOVE that! Its easy to move around from room to room, and if I had stairs I wouldn't mind having to use this one. I've lugged some extremely heavy vacuums up stairs. This one is quite manageable.

I do like the way you dump the canister, however, if you aren't doing it outside, or into a trash can that is empty, so you can get it down in there, it will make a mess. I only made a mess the first time, because I wasn't ready for the bottom to flip out, the bottom flap came out and hit the edge of the trash cash and I had to sweep up a little mess.

The only thing it seems to be missing is a light. However, I must not really need one because I just noticed it today and I've had it for 3 weeks.

For the price, its features and its performance, I had to give it 5 stars!
I bought this item from Best Buy and got the 4 year extended warranty for less than $20.

UPDATE: After all this time my vacuum finally died. I've used it to death. For a while I not only used it for my family home, but for several clients homes that we cleaned.Guess what I'm doing now? I'm buying another one! This is the first vacuum I've had that has lasted more than a year. I'm a loyal fan!

Rate and Discover Movies