Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Hoover WindTunnel 3 Pro Bagless Upright, UH70901PC
Color: Silver VacuumChange
Price:$132.90+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 4, 2013
I'm on my second Hoover as of two days ago... first one is still operational after 20 years... but I wanted some upgrades. My greatest desire..? I wanted to be released from the vac bag. But even though that has been accomplished... I'm(we're) still not free from some vac maintenance chores... and the occasional filter purchase. One step forward, two steps back maybe?

First, some perspective. A bagless vacuum is nothing more than a
glorified and highly stylized shop vac. All this crap about "wind tunnel and "cyclonic technology" and other such buzz word descriptors accompanied by dubious conceptual design claims, is just a bunch of advertising hooey meant to distract any buyer from a problem that is NOT preventable in any vacuum.. eventual loss of suction. If this isn't true you wouldn't find elaborate instructions with every model imploring you to clean filters frequently and to empty the dust cup often. If they don't get cleaned in the prescribed manner... loss of suction occurs... or complete plug-ups. So much for the "no loss of suction" claim. Most models have either mechanical or electric flow indicators that tell you exactly what isn't supposed to happen, is happening: loss of suction. So, with this in mind... it becomes a quest to find that vac that has enough obstacles built-in to the vac canister that will delay the loss of suction for as long as possible. That's the reason why the canister(most) is so jacked-up with multiple tubes, fins, screens and irregular shapes... to catch or divert the misc vacuumed up garbage away from the foam filter, and eventually the hepa filter. Things that a certain percentage of dust always manages to evade on its trip to the first filter. Shop vacs are bagless and will plug up sooner or later and so will house bagless vacs.. depending on what it is you're sucking up. They're designed on the same principles. If you can get past the claimed "no loss of suction" baloney... you can make a more informed decision.

Observations on my purchase. I forked over 153 smackers for the Hoover "Windtunnel 3 Pro Whole House" vac. This came after reading a couple of hundred reviews on Amazon of all the leading bagless vacs out there... and on what my vac needs really are. I'm not a compulsive vacuumer... just occasionally... and I have a small two bedroom house. After vacuuming almost the whole house for the first time this is what I noticed: I emptied the dust cup twice, so what? Just means there was plenty to get up... and there was. I don't think it picks anymore than my old bagged Hoover. How do I know? Because with the bagged I would occasionally run out of the bags... and I would reuse the old one... by unfolding one end of it, shaking it out, folding it back up and then stapling. Works well. I saw that same nastiness come out of the bag that comes out of the dust cup.

Next, the dust cup empties easily, hinged bottom opens up. But even after emptying and tapping on the dust cup canister to loosen all that didn't release right away... there was still plenty of fine dust stuck to the innards of that windtunnel canister. All the canister obstacles did their job; dust was either captured or stuck to them, and you can't shake it out. This fine dust sticks because of the moisture in it and that static electrical charge on the surface of the objects in the canister and the interior walls of the canister itself. The book recommends washing out the canister... I just took it outside of the garage and blew it out with an air hose. Faster and easier. And a bunch of that really fine dust went flyin'.

Next: I inspected the second to the last line of defense; the foam filter at the top of the canister. I was impressed, because only minimal dust reached that filter... I know this because I blew it out with air as well. The instructions say to wash this and let it air dry for 48hrs... ridiculous and boring. Use air.

Next: I inspected the Hepa filter... the last defense before the exhaust exits the vacuum. I detected no dust. Most impressive. And because no dust exits the vacuum... you don't get the vacuum cleaner stink in the room air... something I always get from the way less filtered bagged Hoover.

Overall observations: Here are the things that I dig; the bare floor agitator shut off, both when you set the vac to upright position and the foot button that shuts it off. The cleaning accessories, they all worked well... the stretchy hose, which was quite adequate... the headlight, the sturdy wheels that also have a soft surface for hard surface traction, the easy release of the cyclonic canister and dust cup... the most excellent suction and the overall sturdiness of the unit. And, the auto cord rewind is a kick and a hoot, but this feature really doesn't get you out of anything; you're either bending over to wind the cord up(no auto rewind) or bending over to pull the cord out(auto rewind). By comparison, this unit is supposedly on the heavy side, but I didn't notice... as long as the surface height adjustment is in the right place... it glided over everything I've got. It's been my experience in life that the heavier something is, usually means it's made of more durable materials and in copious quantities... something to keep in mind even when it comes to vacuums. Another bonus is that it's only half as noisy as the old Hoover. Best of all, no vacuum stink in the room air when you're done. Just so you know... I'm big on good design and construction... when I went to look at the vacs I checked out all the leading machines and passed many by because of shabby design and obvious weaknesses. This unit passed all my pickiness. As far as complaints go... for what I paid and how it performs and how well it's made... I have none. A year or two from now... I might have something to offer up here... I'll let you know. In the mean time... Hoover and I will leave the light on for yah. ;-)
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: Silver VacuumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I did a head-to-head comparison of the Dyson DC33 Multi-Floor versus the Hoover Wind Tunnel 3, Model UH70901 (Amazon price $149, available through Amazon Prime). Is the Dyson worth more than twice as much as the Hoover? Here are the results:

Overall design: The basic design of the two sweepers is very similar. They are both bag-less "cyclone" style vacuums with D-loop main handles and a looped carrying handle on the top of the dirt canister. (Dyson successfully sued Hoover for patent infringement over Hoover's use of bag-less cyclone technology. After a court ruling in Dyson's favor, Hoover settled the suit for a $6.3 million payment to Dyson.) The Dyson weighs 17.6 pounds and the Hoover comes in at 19 pounds, which makes it a little more awkward to carry up and down stairs. Dyson wins because its machine is lighter and because Hoover didn't play fair.

Cord: The Dyson features a 35-foot cord that must be manually looped back on to the canister. The Hoover has a 27-foot cord and automatic cord rewind that is operated by a foot pedal. I would happily give up the extra 8 feet of cord for the advantage of auto-rewind. Hoover wins.

Above-floor cleaning: Both vacuums have flexible hoses and wands that allow you to clean above the floor. The Dyson has a total reach of 14.4 feet; the Hoover has a total reach of 12 feet. The Dyson wand is permanently attached to the flexible hose and stores inside the machine. It telescopes with a "click-to-lock"extension and the looped handle makes it easy to manipulate. The Hoover wand must be inserted into the flexible hose. It telescopes with a "twist-to-lock" extension that feels inferior to the Dyson wand and lacks the looped handle of the Dyson. Dyson wins.

Accessories: The Dyson has a combination hard-surface tool and dusting brush. The Hoover has a crevice tool, a dusting brush and a turbo tool, which is a rotating brush that is powered by the air flow through the tool - it looks and feels like a mini-vacuum. Hoover wins.

Ease of emptying: Both the Dyson and the Hoover have easy-release dust canisters and one-touch emptying. Tie.

Carpet cleaning efficiency: I sprinkled white corn meal on a dark burgundy rug. I made one pass at moderate speed with each vacuum. Neither vacuum cleaned up all the corn meal, but the Dyson left somewhat more corn meal on the floor. See customer photos above for testing results. Hoover wins.

Price: The Dyson has a price on Amazon of $299 plus $29.99 shipping. The Hoover's price on Amazon is $149, available with Amazon Prime (no shipping cost). Hoover wins.

Conclusion: Hoover wins! The advantages of the Dyson - slightly lighter weight, longer cord, longer reach and better-engineered wand - are outweighed by the retractable cord, better accessories, slightly better sweeping efficiency and - most of all - the price, which is half that of the Dyson and has free shipping through Amazon Prime.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 27, 2013
Color: Silver VacuumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a Shark Rotator Professional Shark Navigator Professional 3-in-1 Lift-Away Rotator (With Additional Accessories Included) - Model NV500/NV501 that is about 3 months old so I think the most accurate review is to compare the two. I vacuumed first with the WindTunnel 3. I noticed it was considerably heavier, made much more noise and was harder to push. The head is bigger so it covers a larger area so that is good. It has 5 settings for carpet pile--4 for various heights of pile and 1 for hardwood floor. I tried a couple of different settings for the carpet but none of them made it easier to push. As is typical in my house, one room fills up the canister (because of the pets we have and especially since it is shedding season). I removed the canister to empty it and found that while emptying it from the bottom sounds good in theory, that in practice it made a bigger mess than the Shark. More dust flew around and dirt got on the floor. This doesn't happen with the Shark.

Regarding the cord: I was excited to have a retractable cord--i thought it would be like my old Kenmore--where the cord would come out and retract while in use and you never got tangled in the cord. Well, that isn't how it works. You pull the cord completely out and then when you are vacuuming the cord is in your way, you have to pick it up, readjust it, etc. When you are done, however, you can press a button and the cord retracts--which is a nice feature--just not like I was used to with my old kenmore. With the shark you have the same problem with the cord while vacuuming and it does not have a retractable cord so when you are done you have to wind it up---not fun.

So, after vacuuming the room, I got out my Shark. I was so happy at how easy it was to push and how quiet it was. It also picked up a lot of dirt that the Hoover missed--but not a whole canister worth--about a half canister worth. I thought that was great.

I then wondered what would happen if I used the Hoover again--it picked up a little bit more dirt. The canister, which seems smaller than the shark had maybe about 10% dirt in it. The shark definitely didn't pick that up and it wasn't because its canister was full--it just didn't pick it up. Maybe if I had gone over the room one more time with the Shark it would have. Certainly the Shark picked up stuff that Hoover missed on its first try.

BOTTOM LINE: There is a big price difference between the two with the Hoover being less than 1/2 of the Shark. They probably clean about the same. Both left dirt behind. Both picked up dirt the other had left behind.

CANISTER: It is much easier to empty the canister of the Shark and I don't make the same mess as I do with the Hoover. If you do this outside in a big trash can it wouldn't matter--but inside in a kitchen trash can there is a difference--with Shark clearly winning.

WEIGHT: The shark is so much lighter. It seems self propelled (i don't know if it is) and the Hoover is heavy and not self propelled. My back ached after using the Hoover but someone who didn't have back problems would probably be fine.

CORD: The Hoover and Shark both have cords that get in the way while working but the Hoover can auto rewind when the job is done. Which is nice.

FILTERS: Both systems have filters. Hoover says it is a Hepa filter. It certainly looks better and more effective. Unfortunately I do not have equipment that can test which filter actually works better because they would be trapping micro-particals that I can't see with my eyes. My hunch is that the Hoover's is better. Both filters are reusable and you rinse them clean. Both say that if you do not do this you could lose suction.

CARPET ADJUSTMENTS: The shark is easier to adjust by pushing a button on the handle--but the adjust is just for carpet vs. hardwood. There is not an adjustment for various heights of carpet. This is not a problem in my house but if someone had shag carpet, I would suspect that the Hoover would do better.

LOOK OF CARPET: After vacuuming, I felt that the carpet looked similar with both models. I did not have a preference of one over the other.

IN SUMMARY: While the shark has some advantages with regard to weight and ease of use, if you do not need that, the Hoover seems to be a better buy and will get the job done. If you have back problems, are older, or just out of shape, you may want to spend the extra money on the shark. Both vacuums cleaned carpet what seemed to be fairly equally---but keep in mind these are the only two I compared--there may be models and brands out there that outperform both of these. I would suggest with the Hoover that you empty the container outside.

UPDATE 5/8/13: For me, I have found that i turn to the Shark as my go to vac---it is so much lighter and easier to push/use. Also, I get really irritated when emptying the container on this--I guess because I got spoiled with how well it works on the shark. Of course, the shark is much more expensive so each person has to decide which is more important to them. I still feel that they clean equally well.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2014
After reading all the reviews prior to purchasing this item I decided this was the vacuum for me. I purchased this vacuum in May of 2013 well it is now Oct 2014; three months prior (AUG.), the unit shut down for no apparent reason. After reviewing the owners manual it was determine the vacuum had overheated and needed a cool down; lasting approximately 45 min. to an hour. It restarted after the wait period. I am beginning to hate this vacuum because the overheating is starting to become a nuisance while happening more frequently and in case you are wondering; yes canister get emptied as well as filter maintenance. This never happen during the first year of usage; the vacuum worked with about average pick-up. I have to admit I was never completely satisfied with the performance.
Color: Blue VacuumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered the Hoover Windtunnel 3-Pro with some trepidation.

First, there was a bad experience in my past with a Hoover product. About a decade ago, I purchased one of their carpet cleaners. Great concept; it looked good. Unfortunately, it performed just a few times before beginning to fall apart. Not auspicious....

Second, I've been satisfied with my longtime vacuum, an Oreck XL. It's been well-maintained. It collected a good bit of dust and debris, and the leakage into ambient air appeared to be controlled by the HEPA-compliant bags.

In short, I had no impetus to make a change--other than my natural curiosity about the evolution of home vacuums.

The Hoover Windtunnel 3-Pro arrived yesterday. I put it to use last night.

The results are spectacular.

This vacuum picked up far, far more dust and other embedded debris than my previous product. This includes rather minute particulate matter that appears to have been lodged in carpets for years. The wall-to-wall and other carpets have been given new life. And, as it was used, I experienced no problems with dust leakage into the ambient air.

Some practical observations for your consideration in evaluating this product:

--it's well packaged. This is of no small consequence. Not only did the parts arrive intact, but all the parts were included. It would have been self-evident had parts been omitted, given the good packaging design.

--it's absolutely easy to install. I turned to this rather late in the evening. When I pulled the parts out of the box my antennae went up: would this be hard to assemble? The answer is, decidedly, no. One only needs to use a Philips screwdriver to tighten a single screw. That's it. Once the handle is connected to the base, the other parts attach intuitively.

--the Windtunnel is not the lightest vacuum on the market. Neither is it the heaviest, by any means. It's heavy enough that it gets a good grip on carpet, enabling strong suction. I find this a plus. It's also easy to maneuver, with large back wheels. The handle also enables one to lift the unit. I'm somewhat wary of lifting it by the plastic handle, but so far, so good.

--In design, there's a challenge in getting a unit heavy enough to be effective, yet light enough not to be a burden to move around. I think Hoover has handled this well for this product. The parts are predominantly plastic, yet they appear strong. The areas most liable to being damaged in daily use, such as the band around the base, appears durable.

--the suction for carpet is outstanding. Adjustment for pile depth is easy.

--the retractable extension cord works well. Having a foot pedal that pulls it back into place is a good touch.

--the accessories work well. The hand-brush is powerful. It makes short work of basic tasks such as cleaning underneath sofa cushions. The extended wands work fine, also. They fit well into the their places on the unit. That's not always the case with many vacuums in my experience. I appreciate that as a practical aspect.

--would this be a good vacuum for use on carpeted stairs? that's likely a matter of personal preference. One might prefer a hand-held or other very light vacuum. There may be an unavoidable trade-off here for some customers.

--this unit works pretty well on floors. It does include a foot pedal for use in moving from carpet to floor. Unavoidably, any brush unit is likely to stir around dust and debris on a floor. It just is. I prefer a broom myself--it's easier than a vacuum. Again, this may be a matter of personal preference. Hoover apparently is meeting a customer demand for floor cleaning, and it's likely about as good as it might be, at least in this price range.

--the instruction manual is pretty clear. The Hoover website, as well as the extensive Amazon customer reviews, are also good resources on issues such as cleaning the filters and other maintenance. I've not got to that point yet, but I'll report back here if I experience anything that may be of general interest.

Do give this product a look if you're thinking about a vacuum. Based on my one day of experience, I give it very high marks.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 30, 2013
***UPDATE***
I have had this vacuum a few more weeks now so I want to update my review.I had to reduce my rating to three stars. I broke my second belt...I ran over the end strap on a backpack that was sitting on the floor. Just ran over like a one inch section. The vacuum screamed ran hot and the belt broke. I'm sorry too fragile.
Also it's squeaking more than ever !

I was recently given the wonderful opportunity to try this vacuum. My beloved Shark Navigator Lift Away was aging badly and I was in the mood to try something else. I must state that in general I hate Hoover vacuums... My mom always called them "belt burners" Anyhow I want to tell you about my home so you can compare how this vacuum might work in your situation. I have a small one bedroom condo. I have all wood floors ,two large sisal area rugs in my living room, a carpeted hall runner, a twill covered couch and cotton drapes. I have five cats who produce tons of dander and six dusty litter boxes also a picky boyfriend!

The vacuum arrived well packed and needing very little assembly ( you just need to attach the handle) The assembly instructions were easy and simple to follow.This is a tall full size vacuum. There are many accessories included.All of the accessories can be carried aboard the vacuum. Everything has place and most important they all stay very secure while your vacuuming. I love the long self winding cord. It's a great feature and works flawlessly so far.

This is a serious vacuum and as such is quite loud.It's heavy but feels well made and sturdy. One note of concern: My vacuum squeaks a bit.It does not seem to affect the performance but it does not dissipate with use. This vacuum is excellent on wood floors. It does not blow the dirt around it sucks it up. I find it excellent for picking up scattered litter. I use the low carpet brush roller on setting for my sisal rugs and it works great. Sisal rugs have ridges this vacuum handles that well. My low pile carpet runner looks bright and clean after using this vacuum. I love the brush head for my couch and drapes. It removes all of the pet hair. If pet hair is your main issue this vac is fantastic! They include a turbo brush thing. That accessory does NOT work for me at all! I tried the tips in the book but I still cannot get it to stop freezing up. Anyhow , I still love the vac ! Overall I would recommend this vacuum.The current selling price of one hundred and fifty dollars is a great value.

Ps I just want to tell why I did not give it five stars...Well three weeks into my trial with this vacuum the belt snapped.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Buyer Of Stuff: I'm so happy you love your Windtunnel 3. I want to make sure your Turbo Tool is working correctly. Felicia on our team put together a quick video to help you get it in working order. You can see it here: http://youtu.be/DLoT4aH9aJQ

If that doesn't fix your problem, send me an e-mail at andy.netzel@hoover.com or leave a comment. We want to make sure you're happy. -Andy
Color: Blue VacuumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The assembly for this vacuum was incredibly easy- it was put together in five minutes. Once we got it together, I stepped back, looked at it, and said, "Well now. That is one Sexy vacuum!" I never thought I would describe a vacuum as such, and how it looks shouldn't matter in theory, but wow! This is a cool looking vacuum! It looks sleek and the dust trap has this steel cage inside that makes it look pretty impressive!

While I appreciate the way it looks, the only real important thing is how it cleans. This baby is beautiful in appearance and in function! Our new house has carpet and a lot of hardwood flooring, so we needed something that would function on both. Most vacuums don't do great on bare floors, but this was a champ. It even transitioned off the area carpets to the bare floors well without even adjusting the pile dial.

My one complaint was the cord retractor. If you have had a vacuum with a cord retractor, you know you would never buy one without a retractor again. But it has to work, right? Well this one worked. Once. Then the cord would retract all but the last 18 inches. We tried pulling it out a little further and getting more zip to coerce it in. No go. Pulled it further. 18 inches left at the end. We eventually hooked it to a little cord hold at the top of the handle, but that was a temporary fix.

I loved this vacuum, and it is a great value for the price, but the cord retractor was a disappointment.
on October 29, 2014
Color: Blue VacuumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am one of those folks who paid a premium price for a Dyson because I have 4 cats and a lot of furry 'tumbleweeds' flying around my house. So when I got this cleaner, I compared it against my Dyson.

And it is every bit as good, for a whole lot less money! It cleaned cat fur off the carpet effortlessly, and then moved to the hard kitchen floor with wonderful pickup of the cat food scattered around the dish. The Dyson does pick up this food, but it frequently just 'flings' it away and I have to chase it. The Hoover cleaner picks it up with no fuss.

This cleaner is bagless, easy to empty, and the container is large enough to clean the whole house without needing to be emptied halfway. It does not appear to lose suction even when the container is starting to fill up.

All in all, I highly recommend this Hoover and the Dyson has been relegated to cleaning the basement.
VINE VOICEon April 30, 2013
Color: Silver VacuumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using the vacuum for the past couple of weeks and it cleans our mix of carpet and hardwood floor very well. The vacuum has a brush roll on and off switch so you can switch from carpet to hardwood very easily. The suction power feels very strong and I actually had to adjust the setting to make it easier to push. This setting adjustment for carpet height is very useful because I actually had to return our Dyson because the suction was so strong that I couldn't push it on our carpet. The onboard tools are very useful in that it has an extension pole and crevice tool. In addition it has the mini roller for your couch or stairwell. I think the only cons I would have are the vacuum is heavy and a bit loud but not much more than the Dyson. In my opinion, I would recommend this vacuum for $150 over a $450 Dyson!
on October 23, 2013
Very disappointed in this model.
After very first use, the device started making a lot of noise when the brush turned on.
Hoover sent me a new belt which seemed to fix the problem, but after another couple uses, the same thing. Parts are not included in warranty, so after the first belt they sent out, I can no longer get it complimentary.

Seems to work well, but not built to last. Stay clear of this model.
For the money, I would expect a lot more.