Hoover vs. Electrolux Has anyone used this vacuum plus a comparable canister from Electrolux? (such as the Harmony or Oxygen).
asked by K. Sun on March 27, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
If you're going to spend that much, buy a MIELE brand. I'm looking to replace ours, which is about 10 years old. It's easy to use and lightweight with great suction. I'm looking to see if any other brands are equivalent and cheaper possibly for replacement. I saw your comment and thought I'd comment.
Chosen by HIM answered on April 22, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Don't waste your money.....I have a Harmony & it's made like garbage, cleans like garbage, is lousy on carpets & is all plastic: certainly not worthy of the Electrolux name. My old one lasted 30yrs. This one will never make it. Keep away from Dyson too! It's pricey, cumbersome, & way to heavy. It's not user friendly either, which is way I'm about to replace it although I'm not sure with what.(probably a Sears Kenmore ). Hope I helped. Pam
Pa. Pam answered on March 10, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I had the Electrolux Oxygen. Was in the trash after year one. First, it's not a real Electrolux, but is a Eureka....it's all plastic. Mine had to have the entire handle replaced at about $100 because the electrical wire running through the inside of it shorted out. I hear they have a lot of electrical problems. Next is has very very small bags!!. I bought mine at Lowe's. The only good things about it...it was quiet, and had a huge floor brush about 14" wide. Still, I highly discourage anyone from buying it.
James H. Martin answered on July 18, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm looking at getting the Electrolux Oxygen3 canister vacuum. Has anyone bought this one? Is it worth $500?!
Mom's Favorite answered on April 22, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Mom's Favorite answered on April 22, 2009

A
The first time I had the "electrical" problem, I replaced the handle with hose AND the wand they were attached to; the second time I tried just replacing the wand; now it's time to take action again ... which means I'm "shopping". My advice to previous quesioners ... don't buy the Electrolux Oxygen or any other Electrolux model. It's not the same machine it was when my parents bought it and it lasted forever. It is Eureka, and it is junk! I forgot to mention, I also had an electrical problem while it was still under warranty that someone else fixed, so that means the electrical short I'm on now is actually the 4th one (in 3 years).
N. Cohen answered on August 10, 2010

A
Does anyone know if the Hoover Platinum with Canister Vac is any good? I was between that and Electrolux but I saw the bad reviews for the Oxygen. We have cats, dogs, children so I vacuum everyday, and seem to destroy a vacuum every 1 1/2 years between everything.... Okay maybe 2x a day... Any suggestions?
doris sanchez answered on September 5, 2010

A
If anyone is looking for an "Electrolux-type" cannister made of stainless steel like our parents' older models from 25-30 years ago, there is a company called "Perfect" which purchased the design rights to the original cannister Electrolux models prior to Eureka's having taken over them. It looks like the old ones and performs like them, too. I got one last year in a vacuum repair place which also sells new vacuums while griping over my so-called Electrolux (Eureka) which was plastic and constantly messed up. The man who worked there said he had one like I described which he owned at home to replace his old Electrolux model from the 1960's. I was skeptical until I got a new one from a box (not floor model) and messed around with it. It seemed to be the replica itself! I had 30 days to play with it and return it; so I took it home. I does perform and has same parts and supplies as the old model E's did. I still have it today; and have only repaired it one time due to a belt coming off! It was done on the spot and I was charged nothing for that. He also threw in extra bags for me, to boot! This vacuum is made of quality materials and functions well. The price is high --$700.00 -- but my old Electrolux cost much more than that twenty years ago! You might give it a try!
K. Wells-Sanders answered on October 29, 2010

A
Agreed. I have two electrolux oxygens at $499, purchased in 2005. Once out of warranty, one actually caught fire in my hand while using it. After customer service told me to order the new parts at about $150, I said the blogs will hear about this. The immediately replaced the faulty parts for free. Great! It is not working and again and neither is the other one. This IS NOT your mother's electrolux! I see they are selling high end appliances now too. What a joke. Stay away.
E. M. Mayberry answered on January 10, 2011

A
[Deleted by the author on Jan 21, 2009 1:01:27 PM PST]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product