5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to Review
Reviewing Hope for the Flowers is like trying to review a butterfly. Impossible. Granted, one can list features & salient points, but no collection of words can pass on the joyful experience of watching a butterfly alight upon a buttercup on a warm spring afternoon.
Published on April 13, 2001 by Elderbear

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was not impressed with this book.
Published 4 hours ago by Mrs. G

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to Review, April 13, 2001
Elderbear (Loma Linda, Aztlan) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Paperback)
No better description than the one on the cover: "a tale--partly about life, partly about revolution and lots about hope for adults and others (including caterpillars who can read)".
Once again I find myself at a place in life where the struggle to climb to the top of the heap overwhelms me on a daily basis. Once again, I needed to take this book off the shelf (I have several copies--any time I see one at a garage sale or used book store, I buy it--ready to give away), blow away the dust, and inhale the refreshing message of liberation.
Hope for the Flowers does more to puncture bourgeois denial than any Marxist treatise ever could. It cuts to the radical more deeply than the Anarchists can approach. This blessed fable challenges us to embrace the truly important and to become who we really are, instead of pursuing the carrots dangled in front of us by our Corporate Masters.
Five stars for wonder. Five stars for beauty. Five stars for importance. If you haven't read this book lately, chances are you need it in your life today.
(If you'd like to dialogue about this review, please click the "about me" link above & drop me email. Thanks!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for life..., November 24, 1999
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Hardcover)
One of my sons school counselors read this book at a tea. I went with my sons girlfriend who didn't have a mother. The book touched me... and her. Since that time, I have given this book to anyone who needed to believe in themselves. I still believe it always touches me more than the person I give the book too... because it always makes me remember there is hope... for whatever you want in life. My favorite "personal quote" to my children..."Live each day as a wonderful new adventure in your life... YOU write the story!" This book gives you the guidlines of writing your own story, or how to live the mistake of allowing others to write it for you. A great gift of inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Allegory of the Cave, February 7, 2007
Mark Miller (San Francisco and Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Paperback)
Hope for the Flowers is an amazing story with multiple levels of meaning.

Simply put, it's a love story between two caterpillars who become butterflies.

But the story is complex. There's a tower reaching so high its top cannot be seen.
The tower is made entirely of caterpillars. They step on each other selfishly to reach an unknown destination. Some die in the struggle. To keep going, each caterpillar must become hardened to the others, avoiding even eye contact with those he/she steps on. But two caterpillars connect.

They drop out of the race. They fall in love and live in intimacy. But still they think there must be more to life.

Curious again about the top, the male caterpillar decides to rejoin the climb. The woman caterpillar is also curious, but knows that climbing isn't the way. While he climbs, she wanders... until she encounters a wise older caterpillar spinning a cocoon. He explains the transformation from being a caterpillar to being a butterfly. She is afraid to give up what she knows, but she risks it.

Meanwhile, the man, Stripe, is ruthlessly working for success in the "caterpillar pillar."
Just when Stripe reaches the top, he meets his old lover, Yellow, who has now transformed into a gorgeous butterfly with the freedom to fly. Their reunion bursts with a painful love.

Without giving away the end (actually the whole second half), I'd just like to point out some of the other levels of meaning:
Psychologically, the work is brilliant in its knowledge of the interplay of reason and feelings.
Sociologically, its insights penetrate many aspects of human interaction.
Theologically, it cuts to the heart of major world religions.

I first read this in the Philippines years ago. It was a gift from one of my best friends, a spiritual director at a Catholic, Jesuit college in a historically Muslim area. At 26 she was already nationally known as a counselor and spiritual director. At 24, I was teaching philosophy, which there included introductions to such Asian religions as Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism. Hope for the Flowers has a deep wisdom into the core of these religions, and especially, in my opinion, into the Christian cycle of life, death and resurrection.

Why are we here? What is life about? What will make us happy?
These are questions that Hope for the Flowers entertains if not answers.
For children of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, November 15, 2002
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Paperback)
This is a book of such hope and love and comfort. I just finished reading it for perhaps the tenth time and am now jotting down the names of people to whom I want to give it as a Christmas gift. I have given away so many copies already.
This lovely and insightful story is one that readers can turn to in times of confusion, sorrow, or fear....any time that they need comfort, courage, and inspiration or when one is searching for answers in life's turmoil. It is about what can happen if we just persevere and be the best that we can possibly be; about balance in our lives; about what is important and what is not.
This is a book for all ages because the messages in it can be interpreted at all levels of understanding. I am not usually one who is fond of a lot of symbolism in books, but in this one, the symbolism worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A transforming book that affirms life is truly about love, November 3, 1999
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Hardcover)
This is a book I read over and over, usually in the company of great girlfriends. Each time, I'm newly inspired by how it provides insight to my life at that very moment. A group of us read this at a women's retreat as a bedtime story over five years ago. Since then, we all gush with stories every time we see or hear about it. It has inspired us to go for our dreams, choose love over the pull for money -- it even inspired a dear friend to have the butterfly on the cover tatooed into a bracelet around her ankle for daily inspiration. If you need some reassurance that going after love and friendship is the real purpose for life, this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars just in time, August 25, 2000
Linny Blumer (Zurich, Zurich Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Hardcover)
Last night my 7 year old brought this book to our bed and wanted it as his bedtime story. A friend gave it to us years ago and it lay there unread. I lay in bed with him and my wife and read it aloud and at times couldn't even speak without my voice cracking....we have been living in Switzerland for 5 years now and are trying to muster up the courage to break away from an unfullfilling job and lifestyle and begin a homestead in Brazil. This book addressed everything that has been nagging at us and gave us tremendous courage and inspiration. Looking at the reviews it is amazing how inspirational it is for so many and for different reasons, those having lost a loved one, those going through a divorce and others. My wife and I looked at each other and were amazed!!! It is us she exclaimed! For we are Stripe and Yellow having met deciding to go down and now we are turned around and heading down. I absolutely loved this book and want to give it to everyone I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balance and priorities, February 10, 2001
Brian Melendez (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed this book ever since I discovered it more than a dozen years ago, and hardly a year goes by when I do not read it again. On one level, it is a love story--about two caterpillars, Stripe and Yellow--and for a long time I viewed my life through its lens as a quest for my Yellow. On a deeper level, however, the book is (as its cover says) "a tale--partly about life partly about revolution and lots about hope." Lately I have grown more attuned to that deeper message about balance and priorities, a message that resonates with or without Yellow--a message that, if I would just listen to it, may help me find my Yellow, but will surely bless and keep me as I wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 9 yr old daughter discovers 'Hope for the Flowers', March 31, 2000
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Paperback)
While my daughter, a 3rd grader was trying to find a book to use for a report, she discovered my 20 yr old copy of 'Hope for the Flowers' from a college course. She went off and read it, came back and told me how much she liked the book. Her understanding of the story was of course at a much simpler level, quite sweet. She adores Stripe and Yellow. It became a natural opportunity to have conversations about what is important, what 'getting to the top' might mean and so forth. Throughout the story there is so much symbolism that you don't want to rush through it. There are so many parallels between the book and what goes on everyday in our lives. I have given this book many times as a gift in the past. Now I'm going to buy up some more copies so my daughter and I can give them out. I'm looking forward to the audio version and Trina's website.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll keep this one forever..., November 24, 2006
KUJO (Hollywood, CA) - See all my reviews
Simple? No.

When I was a child I received this book as a gift from my Dad.

I knew I would cherish it always. Even though I was young, I knew there was a deep message there, one I could grasp easily with my child's mind, and more that I knew would be uncovered for me as I grew older and more experienced with the world.

Through countless moves and relocations I held on tightly to this book and even now, as a 32 year old woman living across the country and worlds away from where I began, Hope for the Flowers is still a favorite read of mine. And the messages this book has to deliver? Still coming, even after all these years. Buy this book for yourself, and for someone you love. Write something special for them inside, because they will keep this a lifetime...

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of hope, August 1, 2004
This review is from: Hope for the Flowers (Paperback)
"to the "more" of life -- the real revolution" -- from the introduction by Trina Paulus.

Hope for the Flowers is perhaps the most engaging, creative, important book for children and adults alike. The artwork is excellent, the story line is better. This book is philosophy and life instructions at its best.

Hope for the flowers inspires, moves, entertains. It's perfect for any occassion. I received it for high school graduation almost 10 years ago and still go back to it again and again.

It's a tale about not giving up, how sometimes evolving into something else is the best thing of all, and how to get through life's hard decisions and events, everything is better with someone at your side.

Hope for the Flowers is the absolute perfect book. Read it. Buy 10 copies. Give them to all of your friends. Read it again.

Hope for the Flowers [With Recorded by Trina Paulus]
Hope for the Flowers [With Recorded by Trina Paulus] by Trina Paulus (Paperback - October 1, 1997)
Used & New from: $2.93