• Hope

Hope
Format: Audio CDChange

on March 2, 2000
This album was my introduction to Masakelas music. Recalling his name in a jazz frame left me unprepared for the feast that Hope turned out to be. If anyone can listen to Stimela, the albums 12th cut and come out with one unvibrating nerve, I wanna know who they are.From his old hit Grazin In The Grass to Stimela, his crafty mixture of African and jazz rhythms tantalize. And my God, that man's voice!
on July 2, 2001
I often play Hugh Masekela for people and ask them "what type of music is this?" People take stabs at it but he is a mixture of so many influences, bebop, varioius African styles, pop, rock that he sounds like Hugh Masekela.
The very best music touchs our souls. Many people can sing about their hard lives or this or that cause. When Hugh Masekela sings his praises of Nelson Mandela, it is being sung by a person who was banned from South Africa and could not visit his dying mother. A person who, because of Nelson Mandela, could return to the home of his youth.
Some of the songs are in African languages, but most in English (on this CD). The song "Marketplace" about meeting a woman in the marketplace and bringing her home is one I recommend as a must have in any music collection.
I have over 3000 LPs and CD's and this is one I do not get tired of no matter how many time I listen to it.
on November 16, 2001
My father originally introduced me, and my siblings to the music of Hugh Masekela and Miriam Makeba in the late '60's, early '70's. It is only now, however, that I have developed a true appriciation of their music. After listening to what is being offered on the local radio stations these days, this Hope CD makes my 40 mile drive to work, and home again, a breeze. I cannot keep this CD in my house, because once I play Hugh's music to anyone, they immediately ask to borrow the CD. I find all of Hugh Masekela's music enjoyable, however, this CD especially is a good representation of Hugh Masekela's musical repertoire, and is a must for anyone who has a broad appriciation for great music!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations