Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on March 30, 2005
Dianne Selby, strong, determined Dianne, faces her worst trial yet. Their ranch has burned and they are "temporarily" living in town which she fact, she fears Cole is going to force her to stay there and she starts turning bitter against him....and their marriage falters...then word comes of the impending death of Cole's father in Kansas.

Cole wants to share his wife and children with his family for the first time ever, but when they arrive in Kansas, Diane and the children are treated worse than garbage. Dianne really tries, pulls more than her weight, but finally her strength is gone...and she is pregnant, unknown yet to Cole.

Cole has been harboring a secret fear of restarting the ranch back in Montana and feels it never really was his but Dianne's and more truly, Koko's and her children's.

In his tender moments, he tries to please all the women in his life and finds this is impossible and he loses the most important one. The reader is on their seat's edge for several pages.

So many things are drawn together in this book, we again see Trenton, Ardyth the pianist, the mean and cheating greedy neighbor rancher, the honor driven Indian who really loves Dianne but puts integrity over is he and Koko who nurse Dianne through a near death experience... it seems the author is wrapping up this series.

Please, Tracie, don't leave us hanging.
on September 23, 2005
I love this series! "To Dream Anew" is perhaps the best book in the series, but this fourth book is just as enjoyable to read. I hope there will be more to come!

The only aspect of this book that bothered me was the situation between Cole, his mother and sisters, and Diane. While Cole struggles to take care of his mother and be loyal to his wife at the same time, he really chooses his mother over his own family by making the decision to stay with his mother.

Diane is the one who lead Cole to Christ. He has known her and her faith for years; yet while they are living with Cole's mother, Cole seems to believe his mother, who curses God, over his own wife. The fact that he didn't see Diane hit his mother yet believes she actually could have seems a bit out of character.

Also, Diane later apologies to Cole for leaving his side, stating that a good Christian wife doesn't leave her husband's side, "no matter how ugly the situation." Cole's mother was abusing Cole and Diane's children! To allow that to continue in the name of being a "good Christian wife" is absurd. To not protect your children is not being a good Christian parent!

Other than this character flaw, the book is remarkable!
on July 23, 2006
Having read the entire 'Heirs of Montana' collection, this was one of my favorites out of the four books. Although the plot twists of book 3 were amazing, this book took on a different tone.

For most of the book I was crying right along with Dianne, angry at the treatment by her husband, Cole (no matter how honorable his intentions). However, the plot twists were still present with Mayra's unbelievable faith and outspokeness in her 'pursuit' of Zane. Peterson also left what seemed like an unlikely coupling from the beginning in the characters of Joshua and Ardith alone without any pressure. I went on to recommend this book to my mother, as she often encounters in-law 'issues' so to speak, so now she can compare the fictional in-laws to her own experiences.

I highly recommend this to anyone who has read the series, and for those that haven't, start at book 1 (from having started at book 3, trust me, you'll get more fun out of it!) but be sure to finish it out with this book! This is one of those classic books when you need a good cry.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
1886 fire burns down the Diamond V ranch house and several other facilities forcing the Selby family to relocate to nearby Virginia City, Montana Territory. Dianne Selby hates living in town, but her spouse Cole keeps delaying their return with one pretext after another.

Cole learns that his father Hallam is dying so he, Dianne and their children travel to Kansas to say their last respects starting with his dad meeting his wife and grandchildren for the first time and helping his mother Mary cope with her loss and work the farm. Upon completing the trek, Mary sets the tone greeting Dianne about never visiting when her spouse was healthy. After Hallam dies, Mary pressures Cole to run the family farm he inherited while remaining nasty towards his wife and children; Dianne decides to end her cruelty to her grandchildren by taking them with her and going home though it means deserting her husband.

The final inspirational historical novel in the Heirs of Montana quartet, THE HOPE WITHIN, is a terrific family drama that vividly portrays late nineteenth century life on the Great Prairie especially in Montana and Kansas. The story line is character and geographical-climatic driven as the audience obtains a taste of the era through simple interwoven into the plot nuances; for instance Cole's parents and his wife and children never met before implies distance (communication and transportation). Fans will cherish the finale as the extended cast provides depth and Dianne sees hope that her husband will come back to her and their children as THE HOPE WITHIN her remains strong because of her belief in God.

Harriet Klausner
on March 5, 2014
I love Tracie Peterson, her books are amazing. The trials people go through but still find God as their hope is inspiring. I also love the bits of history and culture she brings in each book. I'm always sad to finish a series, after for books you feel apart of these peoples lives and it's hard to say good by... Thank you tracer for another good series!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2010
I picked up the first book in this series a week ago and literally devoured each of them. Each is full of unexpected twists and heartache, but this fourth book literally had me sitting up into the wee morning hours, tears streaming down my face and a heavy feeling in my chest, as I read of each characters' struggles to honor God (or in the case of some characters, themselves!) I found so many ways to relate to Dianne - headstrong and decisive and often not understanding the effect that her words had on her husband. In particular, I appreciated Ardith's struggle with loss after loss and how that scarred her - but eventually made her strong. This series has left me with much to ponder, as my own family has struggled through the past several years and is trying to focus upon the hope within (of course, that Hope is found only in our Lord, Jesus Christ.)
on November 29, 2014
Great Series. I read all four books in this series. The author wrote them so that you can read from one to the other or just pickup one of the books to read. By reading all the books in the series you get a more in depth story line (of course) but each book by itself is interesting. I must admit that by the time I got to this book (fourth in the series) I was losing interest. You knew who the good people and the not so good people are and had a good idea what would take place. But thankfully the author got rid of some of the not so good people and introduced new characters. This changed the "flavor" of the series and made it very interesting. I strongly you to start with book one and read the entire series.
on June 15, 2015
Heirs Of Montana Book 4, titled The Hope Within, ended this series. I read them all, one right after the other, with great anticipation. All four were intense and captivating all the way through.
A very nice feature in this saga of a pioneer family in the late 19th century Northwest was the continuity of the growing lead family and its characters throughout the series. Many books with sequels have the original characters nearly or completely phased out with each next book in the set. That may work well sometimes if not too extreme, but the way this author chose was also my preference. I also appreciated the way she tied up all the loose ends as the story ended, which most readers want but frequently do not get.
on February 3, 2009
I couldn't put this book down. Literally. I ignored my children (and my chores!) and read it in one day (which is an extreme rarity for me). Maybe it's because I'm the same age as Dianne in this book, but I WAY identified with her struggles, especially the conflict with the in-laws (which hit a little close to home) and subsequent estrangement with Cole. I cried when Dianne lost the baby (what can I say - I'm a mother!) and I struggled with her seemingly "easy" re-acceptance of Cole. There is so much heartbreak in each of these books - I was relieved that it ended on a positive note. Bravo!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2009
This was an excellent story as were all in this series. The book held my attention to the very end. The only criticisim I would have, there is so much tragedy throughout the book that it made my own heart feel very heavy until the very end when the "hope within" was realized. Tracy Peterson is an excellent author giving a lot of attention to detail. I can easily see another sequel to this book as several of the characters lives had unfinished endings.