Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 1|Change
Price:$2.99+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on February 19, 2012
I am generally a fan of all things Hoppe's, but not their silicone gun cloth. The Hoppe's gun cloth is made with very thin flannel and it practically drips with silicone lubricant. There's so much silicone in the Hoppe's gun cloth I had to wipe my guns down with a clean, dry cloth after I used the Hoppe's cloth. The Hoppe's gun cloth also left a lot of grey lint on my pistols.

A silicone gun cloth is nothing but a piece of flannel with silicone lubricant sprayed on it. As another reviewer suggested, you can make your own silicone gun cloth for a lot less than the cost of a Hoppe's cloth.

Today I bought an 11 oz. can of spray silicone lubricant at a local discount store and a 1-yard remnant of heavier-weight flannel at a local fabric store. I washed the flannel to get rid of the lint, cut it into 4 pieces (18 in. x 18 in.), and sprayed them with silicone lubricant. Voila, 4 silicone gun cloths for a fraction of the cost of a "store-bought" Hoppe's gun cloth. I keep mine in 1-qt. Ziploc freezer bags so they don't dry out. The heavier-weight flannel I bought at the local fabric store works better than the thin Hoppe's cloth. Using less silicone than what's on the Hoppe's cloth, my guns polish up real nice and my hands aren't wet with silicone after I wipe my guns down. If and when my homemade silicone gun cloths dry out, I can throw them in the wash, rejuvenate them with another can of spray silicone lubricant, and I'm good to go.

If you happen to have some old flannel sheets or flannel shirts around the house, you can make at least 4 silicone gun cloths for the cost of one 11 oz. can of spray silicone lubricant. The 11 oz. can of heavy duty spray silicone lubricant I bought was just enough to dampen (not soak) four 18 in. x 18 in. flannel cloths. Do not use the "dry" silicone lubricant as it leaves a powdery residue. The "wet" silicone lubricant, applied with a flannel cloth, will leave your guns with a beautiful luster.
66 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2010
I use this cleaning cloth for wiping down my handguns before putting them away for storage. Works especially well on nitron finishes, leaving a professional looking sheen that's not highly reflective. I fold and store the cloth in a small Ziploc bag, and keep that in my range bag. You'll want to wash your hands (or wipe them with a dry cloth if you're away from water) after handling this cleaning cloth, as it is impregnated with silicone.

When I ordered this item, the product description read "quantity: 10 PK." I was disappointed when I received only one cleaning cloth. I notified amazon customer service, and as of this date they have not fixed their description. Other than the misleading quantity description, I am satisfied with the price and quality of this cleaning cloth.
on December 27, 2010
This is a great product. It's so much easier than wetting cleaning cloths with gun oil which in my experience results in applying more oil to the exterior of your gun than really necessary. These cloths are gentle on the exterior but contain the oil to preserve your gun's exterior and remove harmful oils, moisture, fingerprints, etc. Like another reviewer, I'm pretty sure the item description has been wrong in the past, as I believe it used to say it was a pack of 6 cloths. This has now been corrected, but please realize there is only one (admittedly large) cloth in the bag. It is so large I have considered cutting it into a few smaller ones since I'm using it for a handgun but for a long gun it's probably nice to have the larger one. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the product and would definitely use this on my gun's exterior over any other product. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to keep their weapon in its pristine condition.
on December 2, 2011
The cloth works well and puts a nice finish on a gun after cleaning. My only comment would be to wear gloves when using this product as your hands become extremely slippery.

The cloth is not that durable so you need to rub gently or you will rub a hole in the cloth.

Other than that very happy with the product.
on June 21, 2011
Picked this up after a recommendation from a friend. This item brings back the deep matte finish on the slide of my glock while helping to reduce visible finger prints and smudges. Also cleans up the polymer frame well to.. Will by this product again
on July 26, 2016
I recently was looking for items for cleaning and maintaining my firearm. I looked around several websites at many cleaning kits but ended up buying what I wanted in pieces, rather than a kit since I couldn't really find what I wanted all together. I've already ordered a good gun snake and some patches and a combination cleaner / lube/ maintenance formula. But I also wanted something like this product, to be able to clean it at the range or at home, without having to drag out a whole kit or box of stuff. Hoppe's seems to be a fairly respected brand, so I chose it over a generic cloth. I like the way it cleans my handgun easily, taking away all of the fingerprints and oils and any residue from firing, and leaves it looking good for putting up. This flannel cloth is pretreated with a good silicone lubricant and comes in a resealable plastic bag to take along with you and store it in. I feel satisfied that my firearm is externally in good shape until I can get it back home and give it a thorough cleaning. It can also be used with your fishing gear too.
review image
on March 2, 2016
All of my guns are nice and protected thanks to this cloth. It is really loaded with silicone so store it appropriately. I use nitrile gloves when using mine as the silicone tends to make my hands itch when exposed for a long time
on October 15, 2012
No...not like that!

I'm not talking about wiping prints to hide from the CSI guys, I use this cloth after a good cleaning and before storage for all of my firearms.

It takes away all of the oils on the surface and gives your weapon a nice clean matte finish.

Wipes off your hands easily too.

Recommended.
on April 10, 2016
I'm a big fan of flannel clothes impregnated with protective oils, and use Hoppe's products almost exclusively (only non-Hoppes in my oil, M Pro 7) but this I didn't like. To say it has too much protective oil on it is an understatement. It's like slapping on cosmoline, using this! Every piece of dust will adhere, and while it won't harm you weapon (probably?), it sure is unattractive. I'd use a different product (sorry, Hoppes!) unless you're going for long term storage.
on July 7, 2014
Received this today - purchased for my new M&P Shield 40. I was a little worried because of a highlighted review on here that said the cloth was "practically" dripping. I decided to take a chance anyway because the price is so low, I wouldn't be too disappointed if that was the case.
I was looking for something to wipe my gun down with, at the end of the day, to remove all fingerprints, etc. and make the gun have that new gun look, without too much of an oily look & feel.
I just finished wiping my gun down and I should have known that when someone states "practically" they are usually exaggerating or not telling the truth at all. This cloth is perfect. The amount of oil on this is not noticeable at all by touching the cloth, but you get a very, very fine amount of oil - just enough to give you that beautiful shine that doesn't look or feel over done. The cloth comes individually wrapped in a polybag with a zip lock type feature so that you can reseal it in the bag. You will be very happy with this cloth. I was.