Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 27, 2010
The restaurant "Horizons" in Philly is a truly fantastic dining experience. Because of that I was very please when someone gave me this cook book as a gift. I am a professional chef specializing in recipe development, writing and testing - and after making 6 recipes in this book I feel quite certain that these recipes were never tested as written. Amounts are off, heat and salt levels range from mild to over-the-top strong, and (worst) very important details are left out. Recipes call for ingredients without describing how they should be used (like 16 oz seitan - no mention of strips, chopped, sliced - ???). These are talented chefs -they need a professional recipe writer to help them with their next book so that the reflection is up to their talents.
44 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2009
I am so grateful to finally have a recipe book that I can depend on for entertaining guests (vegan or not). I have not been disappointed in any of the meals I've tried, and in fact, some of the recipes are staples (trust me, you will become addicted to the tofu from the "Grilled Tofu Provencale" on page 106! My fiance and I have a supply of that in our fridge at most times during the grilling season).
My only complaint is that some of the ingredients are hard to find if you live in a small town; however, all the recipes are fairly simple and even easy once you get your hands on what you need, and in the end, the result is unbelievable.
If the authors happen to read this review, I would like to beg you to share your recipe for the Bistro Steak you serve in your restaurant. That meal is the best meal I have ever eaten in 32 years of eating!!
on December 1, 2012
I have both of their cookbooks. The recipes are wonderful, elegant renditions using, for the most part, pedestrian ingredients. i have especially enjoyed the recipes using tempeh, because this is an ingredient that is hard to work with in a creative fashion. Apart from that the grilled tofu receipes are also very good. The recipes are in general very good, with a spark of intense flavor. Those that I have tried and enjoyed include....grilled tofu provencale, korean grilled tofu steak, malaysian tempeh, Island Mango BBQ tempeh, tofu benedict, tofu crab mashed potatoes, and edamame mashed potatoes. I look forward to trying many other recipes.. One thing about both of their cookbooks that is very nice is that the recipes attempt (successfully) to teach cooking techniques so that you come away learning how to produce a good product, rather than simply following directions without learning what the issues are...
on March 2, 2008
The new book from Horizons is a must for great cooking that vegans and meat-eaters will love. The recipes are easy to follow and you'll be amazed by how good they taste. This book is great for beginners or for people will more experience in the kitchen. You won't regret buying this book because it'll add so much to the food you prepare; your friends and family will be really impressed and everyone will enjoy the great food. Horizons' new book has really stood from all the other recipe books that I've seen. If you're doubting whether you should buy this book, I would definitely recommend it!
on November 20, 2012
EVERYTHING I've made from this cookbook is amazing. Even non-vegetarians rave about the dishes I make from this cookbook. The Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller are too die for. You would think that hummus is hummus, but their hummus recipe is addictive.

The book is well-written and easy to follow, even for people who are not avid cooks. I'm not a seasoned cook, but I have been successful with each recipe from this cookbook.

Horizons: New Vegan Cuisine is a must have for all vegans, but it is also a gem for anyone who would like to consume less animal products or who has vegans to cook for.
on February 10, 2011
I give this cook book three not two stars for a few different reasons. For starters I loved this restaurant when it first opened and then they moved but they are truly sensational. I also love their first cook book and think that that one was really well made and well planned out.

That being said, I have tried a few different recipes in this cook book and where I see where Rich is going I think that the flavors are off, perhaps as the other reviewer wrote they were not tested ? not sure either way they are either too strong in flavors or too weak. If you know how to cook and can taste as you go, you can sort it out and come up with something nice but not as good as their first cook book.

I do like some of the recipes and I do not regret the purchase of this book but I so wish it was as good as the first or perhaps had more of their original recipes from the original restaurant.
on July 16, 2010
Everything I've made in this cookbook has been amazing. My favorites are the Refried Red Lentil Tostadas, Spinach Salad and Miso Noodle Soup. Some of the recipes take some time, others are quick.
I am vegetarian, and have cooked from this cookbook many times for meat eaters, always to rave reviews.
I am lucky to live close to Horizons, an amazing restaurant. I'm happy they've shared their unique cuisine and amazing recipes in this cookbook!
on November 13, 2009
I was in Philly the other day and I bought this book. I am completely blown away by the recipes. When I made my first dish, my husband took one bite and said, "This is amazing." It makes me feel like I can be a vegan and still enjoy exotic tastes and cuisines. This book is a triumph!
on January 5, 2013
I bought this as a gift and the person loves it. She used one of the recipes to make last Sunday's dinner.
on March 5, 2013
Having missed out on going to Horizons in Phillie, I was excited to finally buy myself this book. I am an experienced vegan cook. This book contains only 1 or 2 recipes even worth making. Canceling my pre-order of the Vedge cookbook. If this is an indicator of the recipes they serve in their restaurant, I no longer wish to go.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse