1,144 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Aniston Unleashed
Published on July 8, 2011 by Monkdude

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously dropped the ball(s)
This one had SOOOO much potential - great premise, great cast and could have been really cathartic for the thousands of us who have worked for borderline sociopaths. The Kevin Spacey character is a retread of his character from "Swimming with Sharks", a far better dark comedy with a similar plot-line, and comes closest to being successful. The Colin Ferrel character is...
Published on January 20, 2012 by Derek McCumber

5.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Aniston Unleashed, July 8, 2011
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Perhaps this is partly due to the very vocal and very packed theater I saw Horrible Bosses in, but I have to say that it was one of the best experiences I've had watching a comedy in a long time. This movie is funny, really funny. The writing is vulgar and clever, often at the same time. There is not one weak link in the cast. Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis play the three main guys getting pushed around by their evil bosses. They then hatch a plan to kill each others bosses. Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell play those three evil bosses. You also get other big names like Jamie Foxx, Donald Sutherland and an unexpected cameo from Bob Newhart. Everyone is great, but I have to give a special props to Jennifer Aniston. We finally get to see her in a role that showcases more of her talent than everything else she has done combined. She's funny, sexy and pulls of some nasty lines with ease.

I didn't plan on seeing this today, but I got bored, read some really positive reviews, felt spontaneous and headed to my theater. Best decision I've made in...well today. Forget the latest Hangover and check out one of the best comedies for grown ups in a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air to the R-rated comedy genre, July 9, 2011
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (DVD)
There have been quite a few R-rated comedies this year, but they've all left something to be desired. Your Highness collapsed under being nothing but improvised toilet humor, The Hangover Part II was a complete rehash of the original, Hall Pass was just a disappointing attempt by the Farrelly brothers, and Bad Teacher was too tame to really be called "bad" at all. Paul and Bridesmaids were both pretty decent, but Paul wasn't nearly as good as the movies Simon Pegg and Nick Frost collaborated with Edgar Wright on and Bridesmaids pretty much played out like every other Judd Apatow movie out there. It was beginning to feel like every R-rated comedy from here on out would be so similar to everything before it that the laughs it tried to provide wouldn't be very funny at all. Thankfully, Horrible Bosses came along to prove that theory wrong.

What's interesting is that Horrible Bosses kind of follows the same formula as The Hangover; three guys getting themselves into a really terrible situation but roofies are replaced with a crazy scheme to kill their bosses. The funniest aspect of the movie lies within three guys, Nick (Jason Bateman), Dale (Charlie Day), and Kurt (Jason Sudeikis), obviously having no idea what they're getting themselves into and dealing with the situation in the worst way imaginable. Things get really crazy really fast and only get more hectic as the movie jogs along. That's essentially the movie's charm. While the formulas to the two movies are similar, Horrible Bosses does seem to offer quite a bit more than The Hangover.

The cast may be the strongest factor of the movie though as nearly everybody involved makes the most of their screen time and manages to get a laugh or two in no matter if they're a recognized name or a new face. Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, and Jennifer Aniston play the three bosses and they're all fantastic in their roles. Spacey just goes out of his way to be the most despicable person anyone could really come across while Farrell, despite being selfish and greedy, still manages to toss in a few pretty hysterical one-liners. Aniston will probably be the one that sticks out the most since she makes the biggest impact by being rather forward with her sexual desires for Dale. It's just such a different role from what Aniston has played in the past. The chemistry between Bateman, Day, and Sudeikis is really spot-on, as well. Their conversations, fighting amongst each other and interactions just make you really believe that these three have known each other for years. Even though his role is a little small, Jamie Foxx deserves a mention as well. Dean Jones turns out to just be a really entertaining character overall.

It's difficult to point out any sort of problems this comedy really has, if there are any at all. The film is extremely vulgar, but doesn't really feel entirely too crude or include any gross out gags like many R-rated comedies seem to fall victim to. None of the cast drags the movie down as they all do their part to drive the movie forward. I feel like it won't be as successful as some would think though and will be overshadowed by other comedies that aren't nearly as solid or as funny as Horrible Bosses is. That's really the only complaint anyone could possibly have.

Horrible Bosses is easily the most hilarious R-rated comedy of the summer. The strong cast, amusing dialogue, and entertaining banter between Nick, Dale, and Kurt is more than enough to sky rocket Horrible Bosses to the top of the list of comedies released this year. Charlie Day will have you laughing right from the start. Luckily, Horrible Bosses came along to inject some much needed hilarity into mainstream comedy this season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, October 14, 2011
Steve (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (Amazon Instant Video)
I was hesitant to rent this movie because it only had two and a half stars here, but we gave it a shot. This movie was freaking hilarious. My wife and I both loved it. Then we read the reviews to try to figure out why it was only two and a half stars. Some people are having some issues with the digital copy and therefore the actual movie rating is being affected. This is my first review here and I just wanted to write it to give the ratings a boost because it deserves 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn funny, October 22, 2011
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (Amazon Instant Video)
First, let me say I wasn't a fan of Bridesmaids or The Hangover. Saw them both and wondered what all the hype was about. Second, I had scanned the reviews for this one before renting it and decided that since there seemed to be a 'half n' half' on it - some loved it and some were disappointed - it was probably worth a look. I'm so glad I did, as it was one of the funniest 93 minutes I've enjoyed in a long time!

The 3 main characters really aren't the bosses, but their employees. Each with their own set of quirks, these three friends have growing up together and remaining friends, and hating their bosses in common. What struck me about a third of the way in was how much it reminded me of the movie '9 to 5' - the theme of wanting to kill the boss and the comradare between the main characters.

All the characters were played perfectly. All of them are really one-dimensional, but they don't need to be more. It all works and you get some surprising big name stars you've not seen in awhile popping into the movie too.

Situational comedy is at the core of this film. It's not slap-stick, but the dialogue between the characters is sharp and on-point. If you are laughing too hard, the beauty of a rental is you can rewind to catch what you just missed! I did it several times while watching this movie.

You get a happy ending with lots of laughs from start to finish. The characters are fun, you empathize with the employees, feel the 'ugh' from the bosses, and laugh at the ineptness of regular guys who could be you, or your friends.

Horrible Bosses is for anyone who enjoys comedic bi-play without a concern for the movie 'should' or 'could' be. Just have fun with it! You'll be glad you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crude, Rude and an Awful Lot of Fun, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (DVD)
Horrible Bosses is a revenge fantasy on acid or better yet, a snort of cocaine. It's obscene. It's politically incorrect. It's boorish and absolutely hilarious. Everyone seems to have having a good time, especially the horrible bosses played by Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell. Colin Farrell seems to be channeling Tom Cruise's performance from Tropic Thunder. He's completely unrecognizable as the kung fu obsessed tool of a boss, Bobby Pellit. Of course, no one does smarm better than Kevin Spacey. He's played this type of role before but never with so much glee. As for Jennifer Aniston, she is fabulous as the nymphomaniac dentist who lusts after her hygienist.

The premise is very simple. Three under paid, under appreciated and over worked employees played by Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day decide that if they want their lives to improve, they need to murder their bosses. Thus begins the clever and very rude homage to Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train as well as Throw Mama From the Train.

It's an intelligent, witty and extremely well written movie. What made it more fun were unexpected cameos by Ioan Gruffudd and Bob Newhart. Ioan Gruffudd's scene as a potential assassin for hire is a riot.

This movie was a pleasant surprize.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER laughed so hard!, August 17, 2011
J. Wray (houston, tx.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (DVD)
I don't write reviews. I have never laughed so much. This is falling out of your chair funny. BAD SANTA may have come close. Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx stole the show for me. I know you don't know me... but trust me, SEE THIS MOVIE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best comedy in years, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (DVD)
I saw 'Horrible Bosses' on my birthday in July with two friends and it was by far the best way I've spent my birthday in years! To go into a movie with not a lot of expectation other than hoping that being a comedy with an all star cast, it would at least keep me somewhat entertained, and come out of the movie still laughing and laughing for days afterwards, is all I can say. I knew immediately I would have to have this movie on dvd and am pre-ordering it. If you don't think this movie is funny, then well, you just don't have a sense of potty adult humor, and that is unfortunate. I have also seen 'Bridesmaids' and 'Bad Teacher' this summer and while they are both very funny, they really don't even compare to 'Horrible Bosses'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ah, the working world., July 9, 2011
I recall reading something a year or two ago about employee dissatisfaction. It commented that it tended to increase during times of economic trouble because employees who felt unhappy in the workplace didn't have the ability to escape. They were stuck with their current jobs, since leaving might mean they couldn't find another one. They also seldom got sympathy from other people who said, "Hey, at least you have a job!" This reached its culmination for me when the place where I worked put up a motivational poster that said, I kid you not, "I should be grateful I have a job." Indeed.

In this time of economic troubles, it's perhaps surprising that a movie like this, where three friends get together to kill each other's horrible bosses, hasn't come along already. Well, it sort of did in 1980 with 9 to 5, but that was a bit different. I don't think I recall Franklin Hart, Jr, shooting anyone.

The movie's title bosses are a corporate president (Kevin Spacey), a cokehead who inherited his father's chemical company (Colin Farrell), and, in one of the funnier performances, a dentist who doubles as a sexual predator (Jennifer Aniston). Their oppressed employees are, respectively, a man who is working hard for a position the corporate president takes for himself (Jason Bateman), a hard-working employee who loved the cokehead's father (Jason Sudekis), and a dental hygienist/sex offender who is recently engaged (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Charlie Day). One night while mutually commiserating with each other in a bar a plan begins to take shape. What if they killed their bosses? Soon they have a "murder consultant" in the form of one MF Jones (Jamie Foxx), and, with vague memories that confuse Strangers on a Train with Throw Mama from the Train, the make ready to make murder.

I had no great expectations going into this film, but I was surprised at how enjoyable it was and how much I liked it (also surprising? The ten-year-old boy sitting next me. Some parents...). The film is as raunchy as you'd expect any adult-oriented comedy to be, but it uses its raunch to great effect. There's the expected jokes centering around sex and bodily functions, but nothing too extreme.

I was also surprised at how intelligent the movie is. At the start I was coming up with objections to the notion that the characters needed to kill their bosses instead of just get new ones, only to find the screenplay explaining why they couldn't just up and quit. I was also greatly amused when the friends ran into a former pal of theirs who'd lost his last job with Lehman Brothers and since had been forced to resort to offering a "hearty handshake", as it were, to men in bars.

The performances were excellent all around. Spacey in particular seemed to be having a great time playing a deliciously evil man, while Aniston was clearly happy to ditch her good girl image. Day, who is a relative newcomer to film, plays a character not dissimilar to that of Charlie Kelly, proves that he can certainly hold his own on the screen with the big boys (and girl).

The movie is ably directed by Seth Gordon, who keeps the action moving at a decent, but not frenetic, pace. He also knows when to throw in a good Tarantino homage. It's produced by the somewhat infamous Brett Ratner who proves that as a director, he makes for an acceptable producer.

This isn't the best comedy ever, but it was a good time at the movies, and after a summer that's included films like the rather dull Green Lantern and the aggressively boring Transformers: Bark at the Moon, I'll take what I can get.

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Comedy Includes Great Writing And Acting., July 30, 2011
David M. House (Highlands Ranch, CO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (DVD)
In 2011 Hangover 2 was on track to be the most talked about R Rated Comedy. That held true until the release of, "Horrible Bosses". As a life long fan of Jennifer Aniston, I already knew I was in for a treat. The fine acting of Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis as well as the smart writing left me entertained and satisfied. All of the work that went into the production of this film is top notch. It is hard to say too much about this movie without giving anything away. I will say, be prepared for one of the funniest films you will see. It is too bad that the Academy of Motion Pictures does not have a category for Best Film in a Comedy because this little gem would definitely be the one to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Stop Laughing, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Horrible Bosses (DVD)
I knew Horrible Bosses was going to be hilarious but it beat my expectations. There were moments where I wanted to fall to the floor in laughter. I like how unpredictable it was too. I wasn't sure if they were going to kill their bosses or not. Some good surprises. Collin Ferrel is classic, Kevin Spacey plays a great psycho and Jennifer Aniston...yeah she is just hot and was funny as h*ll. This is my favorite comedy so far this summer and I'll bet it will be other people's too.

Horrible Bosses