Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Cole Swindell Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 29, 2013
I will give Horrid Henry and the Abominable Snowman 4 stars because my two grandsons love the Horrid Henry series. My grandsons, 7 and 6, live many distant miles from me, and although I do visit them every few months (at least), in between my fly-in visits I read books and record them so they can have Grandma reading them a bedtime story. The boys and I have spent many nights laughing at the antics of Horrid Henry, but I do involve them in conversations about the fictional nature of Henry and that his fictional behavior is not always appropriate. I want them to enjoy fiction, but I also want them to understand that fiction is not real-life. I would not want my two grandsons emulating Horrid Henry, but I want them to enjoy the books in a kind of Walter Mitty imaginary world.
I think these books are best read to children by an adult so discussions can take place. Even in my recordings, I ask the questions about Henry's behavior that I would if I were sitting with them and reading.
Horrid Henry is a fun little series. My son laughed out loud reading this book. There is a snowman-building contest in town, and the grand prize is a year's supply of free ice cream. Horrid Henry just has to beat Moody Margaret and her ballerina snowman, so he makes the biggest monster snowman ever.

This is an accelerated reader book. I'm always looking for interesting AR books for my children to read since they have to have so many points every grading period. (AR) reading level 3.6 - AR Pts: 1.0
on September 28, 2012
I bought this as a gift for my grandson who is sometimes a reluctant reader. He finished it in record time because the story kept his interest better than most books at his reading level. I would buy more in the series.
on October 5, 2010
Horrid Henry is back and he's up to mischief again. This time he's trying to win a year's worth of treats from a local ice cream parlor, getting into trouble on a boring rainy day, giving makeovers, and listening to his favorite author in Horrid Henry and the Abominable Snowman.

Author Francesca Simon and illustrator Tony Ross have again brought Henry to life with all his impish ways and devilish plots that somehow don't work out the way he planned. Once again, young readers should delight in this chapter book. And I could certainly identify with Henry's desire to listen to his favorite author read from her work. Horrid Henry is lots of fun.
on November 27, 2014
Excellent book I love Henry's humor and fierceness. I plan to read ALL the other horrid Henry books. I will love all of them
on February 10, 2013
Unfortunately, I bought each book for my seven year old son. Even he could not believe how "horrible" Henry behaved with absolutely NO consequences. One book has Henry singing about hitting an old person on the head with a cane. I am "horrified" that these books are published and further shocked they have been endorsed by parents. These books are so deplorable I will not pass along to friends or donate. They will end up in the garbage where they belong. Reckless content pretty much sums it up. Oh, I looked at the author's photo and let's just say I wasn't surprised.
on January 5, 2014
this is an awesome book by Francesca Simon I really enjoy it 'cause it is very funny and entertaining .