Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 10, 2013
As a teacher my third grade students who were horse lovers really enjoyed these books. Many said they were similar to American Girl series but with horses. The are quick easy reads. I purchased these for my second grade niece for Christmas and the books arrived quickly and were not damaged at all. The price was great! My niece enjoyed the books so much that she read three books in two weeks and her family had to purchase more of the series!
Bell's Star, or Star as the family he works for calls him, is born in the spring of 1850 on a Vermont farm where a mother and father live with their young daughter, Katie. From the start, young Katie loves Star, and has a strong bond with the horse. Star likes Katie and her family, but he hates work and wishes he could just run free, a longing that Katie often shares as she must do many chores around the farm to help her family.

Three years pass, and it is now the spring of 1853. The Fugitive Slave Law recently became law, and now it is a crime to help runaway slaves escape to freedom in nearby Canada. When Katie is riding Star in the woods, she finds Eliza, a young slave girl who is trying to escape to Canada where she hopes to find the family she was recently separated from. Katie decides she must help Eliza find her mother again, and she needs Star's help to do so. She must keep this a secret not only from slave catchers but her own family, who would not want her involved because it is dangerous to help a runaway slave.

Bell's Star is a very sweet and simple read that is sure to be enjoyed by the target audience of young readers, particularly girls, who enjoy horse stories or historical fiction. The story is fast-paced and teaches history painlessly, and I love the illustrations, they are completely adorable. If you know a young reader who loves history or horses this would be a great book to recommend or to give as a gift.
on May 26, 2014
I ordered this set for my 12 year old daughter and she loves them!
So do I, because they are well-written and include some lovely drawings to illustrate the stories.
The stories include historical information as well, which was one of the reasons I chose them.
So many of the horse books and movies written for girls have a heavy emphasis on drama and trauma and are daddy-daughter-dead-mother books, that my daughter and I roll our eyes and joke about the fact (and don't buy them).
After ordering the first book, I bought the entire set - and the dog series too.
My daughter can read one of these in a little over an hour, and loves them!
on March 1, 2013
Great book! My family has three horses and I love to read all about them! I can't wait for the next one! I loved this book cause it was so well written and very descriptive!

I recommend this to any one that likes horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on October 7, 2012
Horse Diaries is a series I am truly enjoying! I just finished #2, Bell's Star. When you read these stories, they are written from the horse's perspective. Very insightful and well written! I highly recommend them to all adult and children horse lovers like myself!
on December 27, 2012
My daughter is 10 and has to read 25 books for school. We began reading this book together at night and it was hard to put down at bedtime! Great historical story and we loved how it was from the horse's perspective. We are reading the entire series!
on January 8, 2013
My daughter loves this series of books! She is crazy about horses and particularly likes the fact that these books are told from the horse's perspective! It is sometimes very difficult getting kids to read - I have found books that utilize animals as characters are very engaging for young readers. My daughter also loves that each book has a different author because she feels it gives the reader more variety with the characters especially since each story is told by a horse. Happy reading!
on January 31, 2013
It was an amazing book with a lot of action. Every chapter left you at a cliff hanger, so you had to read more. I recommend it to all kids that love horses. I don't really like reading, but the horse diaries made me really want to read the whole book series. I am 12 years old and my name is Leah.
on February 18, 2014
My girly loved the series. We never came across a volume she did not enjoy. The only hard thing was waiting for a new one to get published. She is now 14, so she moved on to other things. Perfect for tweens.
on January 2, 2014
This is a great book for horse loving kids. It touches on slaves escaping to freedom, all from a horses point of view.A great introduction to history for little ones. My 5 year old loves listening to this. She can't wait to learn to read so she can read it herself.