Published on May 17, 2010 by Rebecca Herman

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of Stock
This book was out of stock,but will probably be ordering more in the future for our Grand Daughter,she loved the others we got for her.
Published 12 months ago by Bobbi Koehler

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, sweet children's historical novel with adorable illustrations., May 17, 2010
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
Bell's Star, or Star as the family he works for calls him, is born in the spring of 1850 on a Vermont farm where a mother and father live with their young daughter, Katie. From the start, young Katie loves Star, and has a strong bond with the horse. Star likes Katie and her family, but he hates work and wishes he could just run free, a longing that Katie often shares as she must do many chores around the farm to help her family.

Three years pass, and it is now the spring of 1853. The Fugitive Slave Law recently became law, and now it is a crime to help runaway slaves escape to freedom in nearby Canada. When Katie is riding Star in the woods, she finds Eliza, a young slave girl who is trying to escape to Canada where she hopes to find the family she was recently separated from. Katie decides she must help Eliza find her mother again, and she needs Star's help to do so. She must keep this a secret not only from slave catchers but her own family, who would not want her involved because it is dangerous to help a runaway slave.

Bell's Star is a very sweet and simple read that is sure to be enjoyed by the target audience of young readers, particularly girls, who enjoy horse stories or historical fiction. The story is fast-paced and teaches history painlessly, and I love the illustrations, they are completely adorable. If you know a young reader who loves history or horses this would be a great book to recommend or to give as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing book, October 2, 2013
I think everyone should read this book. It will really touch your heart and you may even think a little differently

5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STAR, February 20, 2014
This book was gripping, I couldn't stop reading it. I hope you read it. If you like horses and are against slavery you will enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Horse Lovers Will Love It!, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
As a teacher my third grade students who were horse lovers really enjoyed these books. Many said they were similar to American Girl series but with horses. The are quick easy reads. I purchased these for my second grade niece for Christmas and the books arrived quickly and were not damaged at all. The price was great! My niece enjoyed the books so much that she read three books in two weeks and her family had to purchase more of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, August 27, 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
I loved this book it is full of adventure and shows lots of care and love . A great book for anyone i really loved it. I like how it is the horse who is saying what it going on around him. I also like how it shows the relationship between a horse and his girl, a girl and her horse. It is a great example of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars My ten year old loves these books!, July 5, 2014
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
My ten year old loves these books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Horse Stories for Kids, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
I ordered this set for my 12 year old daughter and she loves them!
So do I, because they are well-written and include some lovely drawings to illustrate the stories.
The stories include historical information as well, which was one of the reasons I chose them.
So many of the horse books and movies written for girls have a heavy emphasis on drama and trauma and are daddy-daughter-dead-mother books, that my daughter and I roll our eyes and joke about the fact (and don't buy them).
After ordering the first book, I bought the entire set - and the dog series too.
My daughter can read one of these in a little over an hour, and loves them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter loved, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
Granddaughter loved the book - she reads all the time - loves animal books -- she was happy they were on accelerated reader

5.0 out of 5 stars My child loved it!, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
My girly loved the series. We never came across a volume she did not enjoy. The only hard thing was waiting for a new one to get published. She is now 14, so she moved on to other things. Perfect for tweens.

5.0 out of 5 stars My granddaughter loves horses!, February 5, 2014
Kathleen Zayas (Addison, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star (Paperback)
When I saw these books are "written" from the horses' point of view, I knew my granddaughter would love them! They're great!

Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star
Horse Diaries #2: Bell's Star by Alison Hart (Paperback - March 24, 2009)
$5.99