Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on November 21, 2010
This is an excellent series for young horse lovers.

This story of the Lipizzaner Maestoso Petra does not break any new ground - the storyline is a basically a combination of Marguerite Henry's White Stallion of Lipizza and of the movie Miracle of the White Stallions. It is told from Petra's point of view, and covers not only his life as one of the famous white stallions, but also, inescapably, some of the historical events that forced the stallions to flee Vienna during World War II. Adult readers will probably find the other works more satisfying; anyone who loves this book should seek out the other two. It is a special time in history, and perhaps my only quibble about the story is that the reader will not realize from it how amazing it was that the breed was rescued from its precarious existence between two armies. The facts are accurate, though, and it is an excellent introduction to the Lipizzan breed and history.

My biggest complaint is with the interior illustrations - which are plentiful and lovely pictures of horses, but do not do justice to the unmistakable visage of a Lipizzan stallion, who will have a significant Roman-type nose and spanish head. I felt the illustrator was trying to make them 'more beautiful' by giving them more Arabian-like heads, instead of portraying them with the amazing noble heads emblematic of the breed.

This is a small point, and I enjoyed this book as much as others in the series.
on March 27, 2010
This is a nice book about a beautiful horse from when it was born until it was an adult, safe from war and the Nazi Germans.
on June 18, 2013
My 9 year old daughter loved this book, just as she loves the others in this series! We have several of them, but she asks for the rest of the books when she sees that I'm on Amazon. One thing she particularly likes about them is that the stories are told from the horses perspective;she has told me that several times.
on February 13, 2013
In my community, us parents have a book club for the kiddos and each girl gets to pick a book when it's their turn to host the meeting. This was the book that was picked and it went over very well with my daughter.
on January 8, 2013
My daughter loves this series of books! She is crazy about horses and particularly likes the fact that these books are told from the horse's perspective! It is sometimes very difficult getting kids to read - I have found books that utilize animals as characters are very engaging for young readers. My daughter also loves that each book has a different author because she feels it gives the reader more variety with the characters especially since each story is told by a horse. Happy reading!
on April 28, 2014
This book will tell you a horse story straight from a horses mouth! Petra has learned to be a true Lipizzaner, but when war starts and all seems lost will be go back to be the true Lipizzaner as he once was?
on January 6, 2013
I love your books they are awesome and written so good that I think these books are great to get a good idea that I think the horse diaries books are such a awesome idea how did you guys come up with these books that are fantastic and I want to know how did you come up with a good book like this one!
on July 19, 2011
My daughter got the first 3 of this series for her birthday. I was a little concerned that she wouldn't like them because her reading level is above that of the book. But, the stories made up for the easy reading. She loves them. She has since ordered #4 and #5 of the series and loves them too!
on October 13, 2010
This is one of my favorite Horse Diaries. The story-line was placed well, and it was smooth and not confusing or anything, and Petra was a good character. The only part I didn't like (spoiler) was when Petra's inexperienced human friend rode him with the experienced riders and no body noticed. This is my second favorite Horse Diaries, next to Golden Sun. The illustrations are excellent, in my opinion, and the writing style is great, as well. Horse Diaries are one of my favorites!
on April 27, 2016
There are no words to describe this book, except the fact that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WANT THIS BOOK MADE INTO A MOVIE! ALL OF THE HORSE DIARIES BOOK SHOULD!!! ;)