5.0 out of 5 stars Charming! Inspirational ! 'neigh' other way to describe it
Published on June 13, 2004 by Ann Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Horse Miracles
Published on February 7, 2006 by Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming! Inspirational ! 'neigh' other way to describe it, June 13, 2004
Ann Johnson (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horse Miracles: Inspirational True Tales of Remarkable Horses (Paperback)
As a rider and having owned a horse I was so pleased to discover "HORSE MIRACLES". Brad Steiger and Sherry Hansen Steiger's newest delightful collection of true horse tales is an absolute lovely tribute to a long overlooked subject. It easily demonstrates the most noble and important role that horses can miraculously play in the lives of humans. I'm sure that every horse owner can identify with the Steiger's newest book. And if you have never owned a horse it gives a wonderful insight into the oft times ignored talents and sensitivity of these noble creatures. I've enjoyed all of the Steiger storys about other animal miracles but "HORSE MIRACLES" is just especially outstanding! I just could not put it down. And, as usual it is told through the Steigers own special and creative way of writing that lets you, as the reader 'see' and 'feel' the action in each story as it happens.
Does it get any better than Brad Steiger and Sherry Hanson Steiger's "Horse Miracles"? ...'neigh'...Charming and wonderful
is the only way I know to describe their newest book!!!...I will read it over and over as it is highly inspirational! I plan to be sure to use "HORSE MIRACLES" as a top gift consideration to friends and absolutely recommend it as an outstanding book for any member of the family individually or to read aloud from on family night.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horse Miracles, February 7, 2006
Dee (Arthur, ND United States) - See all my reviews
This book is plagued with plagerism of already published stories. Most of the details regarding the stories about Ruffian and Secretariat are inaccurate, and they called Riva Ridge, "River Ridge". Very, very, very poorly researched and written. I do not advise anyone to buy this book. I was very disgusted with it. Also, they mention several times that horses are often sold for dog food, and apparently they did NO research on this little fact, HORSES HAVEN"T been used in dog food for nearly 30 years!!!! Perhaps they were trying to cover up for the slaughter industry which buys and slaughters horses for human consumption overseas. I couldn't even finish the book, I didn't trust any of the content as truthful.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent "Gift Book" that is indeed inspirational and heartwarming, December 11, 2006
This is the perfect collection for teenage, horse-crazy girls, and reminds me of the Horse Stories I gobbled up as a kid.

It's a collection of true stories, apparently from people all over the country, each told to a writer and then edited together into this collection. Some are better than others, but they all remind us of how noble, perceptive and kind horses can be when they become partners with their owners instead of beasts of burden.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT "true" stories!!, November 11, 2013
Don't waste your time with this book because it is so far from factual that it's laughable.
I began this book with high hopes. THEN.... I got to the section on Secretariat! I'd read both Wolfe's and Nack's book on Secretariat so the inconsistencies glared off of the pages of the Steiger book! I won't bore you with explaining each part of the Secretariat story that was inaccurate but here is just one example:

Steiger Book says: "...by the time Secretariat reached the backstretch, he had already achieved a 10-length lead over Sham"

FACT The "backstretch" (when referring to the track itself) is the straight-away that begins right after the first turn and continues to the beginning of the "far turn" (2nd turn). Sham and Secretariiat were still competing for the lead, running neck to neck, coming out of the first turn (this is when they "reached the backstretch") They continued to run close to one another until nearing the far turn, so for most of the backstretch. The official notes made by the Belmont Chart Caller for the Daily Racing Form reads: "SECRETARIAT..... to vie for the early lead with SHAM to the backstretch, disposed of that one after three-quarters, drew off at will rounding the far turn". Give poor Sham the credit he deserves! The truth is, he hung with the Superhorse for the better part of the KY Derby before Secretariat took the convincing lead.

It is pitifully obvious that these authors made a half-hearted, careless attempt at briefly re-telling the story of a great champion. What a disservice! Secretariat deserves better! Shame on you, Brad and Sherry Steiger!!

I wanted to enjoy this book as I love horses but after the debauchery made of Secretariat's story I wondered how much of the other horse stories in this book that bills itself as having "TRUE tales.." were fluffed, embellished, and dramatized versions of the REAL horse story. If I am reading a book about true horse stories I want to trust that every word is true. If the authors didn't even bother to get an easily fact-checked story like that of Secretariat's right, how can I trust that the other stories in the book are "true"???

There are much better books about horses! Read Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand or Bill Nack's on Secretariat or Ruffian. Unlike Steiger, Hillenbrand and Nack spent a great deal of time thoroughly researching to make sure the books were factual and truthful as well as captivating!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made a Friend very Happy, August 4, 2013
I bought this as a gift to a friend that had to move and give up her horses. She misses them so much so I thought of her when I saw this book. She loved it. She has read it twice now and said it will be read again and again.

Horse Miracles: Inspirational True Tales of Remarkable Horses