Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 19, 2008
For anyone who's ever listened to that mainstream garbarge on the radio and wondered if that's as good as "country" gets - here's your album. Who woulda guessed we needed to look to the Canadians for music with some depth and soul! I'll take it where I can get it. Really, there's not a bad song here. "I Wanna be in the Cavalry" is the catchiest tune I've heard in a while. You'll be humming the damn thing all day long. The title track, "Horse soldier, Horse Soldier," is kinda like Billy Joel's "We didn't start the Fire" applied to the history of cavalry. Seriously, a song that incorporates the Mongols, the Crimean War, and the Romanovs? I challenge you to find a Nashville twit who even knows what those are. There are, of course, non-horse themed tracks, as well. "Hard on Equipment" will make you smile - everyone knows someone like this.
I look with sadness to the day when these guys sign with a "major" label. Seems like it always screws with the quality of the writing. Such is the business, I suppose.
on December 15, 2007
This is a great CD, it has a bit of a calvary theme which is pretty cool, but not every song follows this pattern. "Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier", the title track, is similar to the Rolling Stone's song "Sympathy for the Devil", as it follows horse soldiers through different periods of time and points of view. Another good one is "Hard on Equipment (tool for the job)" if you are or know somone that tries to fix things with duct tape, and is constantly rounding off bolts, this song is for you!
This cd and the band's last four are all full of real country music written and performed by somone who has "been there and done that" but it also appeals to people who don't like twangy country, or are into folk music. I hadn't heard of Corb Lund until I moved to Alberta for Grad school, now I'm hooked, so is everyone I've given his cds to, give him a listen!
on March 25, 2012
This album was worth every penny. I'm a huge country fan and a horse person, and while this was different from most of what I listen to, it was a great introduction to Corb Lund. I have since bought other CDs from him. Highly recommended.
on August 12, 2013
As a fan of the artist, I could listen to Corb all day. This album, however, is particularly enjoyable as many of the songs share a theme. Getting from the first to the last song in a single session gives me the chills.
on February 7, 2009
I rarely buy C.D.'s of any sort, since I work outside in a museum setting all day, so my listening time is extremely limited. However, when a friend emailed me the link to "Horse Soldier" on You-Tube, I was hooked and had to have his CD! Not only does he write outstanding melody that appeals to a classic rock/country/folk loving person, but his knowledge of history sets him above the average songwriter's similar attempts. As a cavalry historian he has a lot of appeal for me, too. His talent is amazing, he is able to go in any direction as well as his historic ballads. I am recommending his music to all my like minded friends who can appreciate his music!
on June 21, 2009
I heard Horse Soldier on CBC 3 - Canadian Radio - and was immediately entranced by it. This song, like many others by Corb Lund, uses such descriptive language that your mind creates evocative images of what it is hearing. Think of "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash - each song paints imagery like that. IMO, Corb Lund rates among the great singer/songwriters like Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins - he sings about a way of life that is either disappearing or unknown to most.
on September 6, 2014
already commented about this album in my review of a later album called Five Dollar Bill which most likely is more well known and sold better than this one but IMO this is one to get and LISTEN to. very interesting performer and will make a name for himself IMO. of course this is the music business we are talking about which is very hard on it's young but the artists are now taking more control of there careers than the old performers who had to rely on a record label even though they had great talent a lot of artists just were overlooked. with the age of digital streaming and the internet itself things are changing, some of it good some of it bad. at 66 and being part of the business I can see that even I am learning about new technology all the time but that won't stop me from the thrill of holding a new vinyl record in my hands.
on June 24, 2009
Corb Lund is Canada's best kept secret: a refreshing voice who has been making music for a while. His songs are full of emotion, both delight and sorrow, which is perfectly illustrated by the first and last song on this CD. "I Wanna Be in the Cavalry" the first cut, is a celebration of glory and honor from the naive point of view of a new recruit. "I Wannna Be in the Cavalry; reprise" -- the last cut -- is a serious reflection on the horrors of war. But between the first and last cuts are some hilarious songs: "Family Reunion" and "Hard on Equipment", some introspective songs: "Student Visas", "What the Song Means Now" and "Especially a Paint." Of course, Corb is nothing if not irreverent as in "Brother Brigham, Brother Young." Might not want to have your Great-Aunt Grace listen to that one.

Overall, if you are looking for a "new" voice in country music, you owe it to yourself to listen to Corb Lund, and this CD is a great one to start with.
on October 4, 2010
If you like your country music gritty and haunting this album has it. The songs "Student Visas" and "Horse Soldier" are both written as well as any good piece of literature - but with great music.

Like Johnny Cash, Corb Lund is able to convey a pretty healthy anti-war sentiment without ever being disrespectful.

"Hard on Equipment" is as good as anything Joe Diffie has done - smart and funny and disturbingly familiar.

"Brother Brigham, Brother Young" is pure delight to anyone who lives with or amongst Mormons; and has a classic gospel feel to it.

The songs all work well with each other and show a depth and a maturity one would not expect to find in someone as young (and drop dead gorgeous) as Mr. Lund.

As much as I love this album for the music alone; I am also thrilled that it has sparked an interest in history with my two younger sons.
on October 6, 2008
I love the images that are created on this album. His unique way of stating things is thought provoking and entertaining