Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 27, 2007
Think of this book as an advice book Snicket-style. Each page has a quote on it pertaining to family, love, work, school, death, and other universal topics. Some of the quotes are just silly and others are outlandishly clever, as would be expected from a Lemony Snicket book. No, it isn't a story about the Baudelaires or Mr. Snicket's life, but it does contain some of the best quotes in A Series of Unfortunate Events along with other original ones. These are the lines that you would be frantically flipping through every book of A Series of Unfortunate Events to find because they are so brilliant, but you simply can't remember the correct page number. One of the more memorable ones is the beautiful quote about the death of a loved one that was first found in The Reptile Room. Therefore, I find it very convenient to have all of these witticisms together in one easy-to-scroll-through book.

It begins with a short and ironically tragic story about a woman searching for knowledge, and the rest of the book contains the sad, yet brutally honest knowledge that she was never able to find. Each page has a message that you probably weren't expecting, and I guarrantee that whoever reads this book will find at least one of the quotes to be brilliant. It's a very good book to read if you are down and are seeking wisdom that won't give you false hope or advice that won't actually work.
on September 28, 2007
I got this book for my 18th birthday and thought it was very fitting. No, it does not tell an actual story; yes, it is a little expensive; and no, your young children probably won't enjoy it as much as you hoped they would. It's aimed more at YA and up and is basically a book of Snicketified proverbs that will temporarily relieve some of the bitterness that goes along with these truths.

There is never anything surprising that Lemony Snicket puts out, so stop acting disappointed when you should have known perfectly well what the book would be like. If you're not a fan of Lemony Snicket already or can't yet define the word satirical, then you're not likely to enjoy it.
on April 27, 2007
In purchasing this book I was expecting something similar to the Unauthorized Autobiography or the Beatrice Letters. Let me tell you, this book is NOT that. This book contains 13 chapters on various topics. The content of the book is like reading chinese proverbs with a Lemony Snicket twist. You won't learn anything about the Series of Unfortunate Events, if that is what you are expecting. You also learn nothing about Lemony Snicket himself (other than to see his pessimistic nature once again).

All in all, if you are looking for something related to the Series of Unfortunate Events I wouldn't recommend this book. If you like reading chinese proverbs, and you like the Snicket writing style, I would recommend it.
on June 12, 2008
Snarky and Sarcastic...and just a little bit funny. I didn't love this book,but I didn't hate it either. It is mostly made up of quotes about different subjects. Had I not ordered this on a whim, I would not have purchased it say...at a bookstore, where you can take a peek.
on June 23, 2016
I got this for four dollars used and it was in excellent shape. Read through it all in under an hour and it's quite entertaining. I don't think it has high re-read value but the quotes are very truthful and fun, so for that reason, I think it's worth buying
on August 8, 2015
I enjoyed reading this. It felt a little repetitive, as I'd just read the entire SoUE series and there's definitely overlap. But I like it. I like Snicket. I like the dust sleeve. Can't complain overall.
on April 5, 2008
this is a very short book but a really long message. Each quote of Lemony Snicket barely takes up a page, but each one has so much meaning that i regularly use them in conversation. Every thing he wrote seems insane but no one i have ever met can contradict whats in this book.
on June 9, 2016
I'm so glad that I finally got the chance to read this book after so many years! Although, it's hard to say it's much of a book rather than a collection of witty quotations and thoughts told in classic Lemony Snicket fashion - funny, but cutting harshly through to the point. Despite being a collection of "bitter truths," there's something comforting about the eloquent way Snicket is able to reveal them to us. The circumstances might be unfortunate and lonely, but you are most definitely not alone (especially if you've brought a book, or the experiences of a book with you).

I'll be going back to this one more times than I can imagine in the future.
on December 1, 2012
I love to read through the quotes in this book. There are many quotes from "A Series of Unfortunate Events" as well as others which I didn't recognize. It's very entertaining , and it also provides a lot of insight to life.
on July 8, 2013
I became a fan of Lemony Snicket because of his "Unfortunate Events" serious. I haven't completed the series but I love it so far. I read a few quotes from "Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid" on GoodReads.com and instantly became a fan. I ordered the book, received it quickly and began reading the same night. It's short but wonderful. If you really do like Lemony Snicket's work, you'll like this book.