5.0 out of 5 stars Landmark Album w/ Live CD
Published on November 17, 2005 by A. McIntyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, but not really enjoyable
As a work of art, Patti Smith's "Horses" is most impressive. Full of passion and undeniably the creative work of a masterful visionary, it is startling, remarkable, and always compelling.
Having said that, however, I've got to admit that it seldom goes for a spin inside my CD player. Perhaps it remains in my collection for the prestige and panache it...
Published on May 20, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Landmark Album w/ Live CD, November 17, 2005
A. McIntyre "Texasexpat" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Rolling Stone Magazine named "Horses" one of the top 50 rock albums of all time. You will understand why when you listen to this beautifully remastered 30th annivery CD. Patti Smith mixes poetry, parts of iconic rock and roll songs, double track lyrics and strong narratives always with a fine basic rock beat that draws you in if you get confused (the lyrics are also included in a booklet).

The real jem here is the live CD that expands on each song, especially "Land," my favorite. Thirty years later Patti is as sassy and spell binding as ever. I saw Patti Smith four times in person during the 1970s, but never heard her sing "Land." The live version of the song runs about 17 minutes and is worth the wait. Patti has added a brief prologue and additional lyrics that explain the meaning of the song more (and bashes cell phones and other distractions). I still don't comletely understand the song, but this version rocks so hard that it makes little difference. Others like the song "Birdland" better; this live concert has an excellent version of that song also. As with all good live albums, the music sounds better the louder you play it.

Other commnents: the remastered CD sounds great with high price earphone, the live CD less good. The price is too high, so high

that it will probably discourage all but hard core fans from buying this 30th Anniversery package.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Dropped Out of College for this Album, November 5, 2005
Katherine McCarthy "kath e. miller" (Forest Hills, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
I saw Patti read poetry alone. I saw Patti & Lenny at St. Marks Church. I saw Patti, Lenny & Richard at Max's. I was there at her last gig at the Academy of Music before a long hiatus. I rejoiced at her comeback performance at the Ritz after Fred "Sonic" Smith's passing. I saw Patti so often she once told me at a CCNY poetry reading, "You've seen me more than my manager!" All that I love about rock & roll is embodied in "Horses." When I listen I hear the Shangrilas in her girl-group vocals. Early Stones with Brian Jones in her swagger. Hardly ever do poetry and 3-chord rock marry so seamlessly. When she intones, "Suddenly, Johnny, gets the feeling, he's surrounded by horses, horses, horses...do you know how to pony?" it still makes my heart beat faster. Patti Smith is the original Riot Grrrl. The first woman, after Grace Slick, to not be a "my man done left me" victim. She hit a home run out of the ballpark with this record, uneclipsed even 30 years later. I still listen to everything she records, and see her & the band as often as they play live. She set the bar high. It hasn't dated in all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One, September 28, 2000
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
I am 43. When I first heard this I was 20. It totally shocked me from the very first notes in a friend's bedroom, stayed with me over the years and is still - remarkably - my favourite album for its force, drive, beautiful melancholy sounds, strange poetry, like a door opening on something I never believed could exist until I heard and saw it, and full of a warm compassion for the listener that is absent on all of Patti's influences. I heard someone said that though she was openly influenced by the Stones, the Velvets and the Doors (and Dylan) she also managed to outdo them all... the album is all but perfect... did they resolve the mains hum buzz all through the original vinyl disc? And 'My Generation' (by coincidence my favourite single, from The Who) is scrappy but OK, but why oh why is 'Piss Factory' - one of her best songs from this era - not included? That's the only slight minus in this lovely re-issue. If you have never heard Patti Smith, just get this record and enjoy. A pure gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Rimbaud!, November 17, 2005
Marco Tognato (Vicenza, ITALIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Oh, I cannot believe my ears! Wow! I already had the previous remastered version of HORSES but I feel not guilty and I'm totally satisfied of having spent € 21,00 for this wonder! The first CD is History with capitol H and, since everything has been said about it in such beautiful and expressive ways I could never reach, I won't tell - except that it is my favourite foreign language album. But the second CD my friends...the second CD, uhhhhh! The entire HORSES album played live in London, last june... I have never had the fortune of seeing Patti and her Group playing live in my country - even though they come here in Italy quite often I always miss them for either the tickets are sold out or I come to know only the day after the concert in newspapers articles! sh..! - so now I finally know what she is about. And I'm beautifully upset. I mean, this Woman is 59 years old and she sings with such a rage, emotion, power, intensity, courage and, finally, love that vivid, sensual vibrations hit you when you listen. It's an incredible experience. "Gloria" is superb, "Birdland" (probably my favourite Patti song) nearly makes you forget about the original version and "Land" with its 17 minutes and an added speech introducing the song just gives you the creeps!

Oh, I'd just like to embrace Patti and hold her tight and just say "I salute thee", for all she did to me. She changed my way of seeing poetry, music and reality. She makes me dream of hope and beauty and...oh! so many things I would express but I have to go now.

So, I strongly recommed you this work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars New York, New York!, July 28, 2000
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Sheer intensity! One may hear hints of her in a few musicians, but there's only one Patty Smith. She set the standard, yet remains an original.
This is a concept CD, but the concept is musical, rather than lyrical. Beginning with the dissonant chords and long tonal lines of "GLORIA," Patty Smith goes on to punk-ture the rock landscape in about 43 minutes of tone poetry, screaming vocals and snarling guitar. It's the musical equivalent of "Howl."
A few songs, or fragments of songs, are somewhat melodic and playful, almost teasing. While these are "easier" and sound great, the CD is most notable for its shredding power, and the sound of the most original female voice in rock. Great support on guitar and drums. Intense and poetic, yet somehow unaffected and sincere, she makes the spoken/sung lyric not only compelling, but credible.
In many songs it sounds like the rhythm might slip out from under the vocals and go on in an entirely different direction. There's something going on here! Beautifully recorded and mixed, the voicings are distinct, both melodic and dissonant. Someone may observe these days, "that's been done before." It probably has--by Patty Smith. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars misplaced joan of arc meets late-night joan of arc, love, May 17, 2005
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
It gives me great pleasure to think that if anyone ever tried to cover any of the songs they would be making a complete joke of themselves. Ironically, "land of a thousand dances", a cover of a song made popular by wilson picket, and van morrisons "gloria" have got patti's guts all over um. If Neil Young was about one thousand times sexier maybe his "down by the river" could be a male equivalent. But, Patti Smith transends any gender issue despite the fact she and janus will never be matched in the female frontman category. If I had to attempt to show anyone the power of rock and roll I would just play "free money" and walk away. Also, the ballad "birdland" despite its 9 minute and 14 second span is probably the most captivating song on the album. She is simply put, fierce and fearless. Too many of our precious baby boomers missed this classic album in 1975 and now they scratch their heads as their own precious little one's slam good charlotte and simple plan into thier sad souls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 15, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
How influential is Patti Smith? Let's just say that riot grrrls from Chrissie Hynde to Alanis Morissette would not exist without her. Michael Stipe and Bruce Springsteen are some of her many admirers. And here's why: Horses is a phenomenal album. Smith's poetic creativity pours forth from every track. She deconstructs such landmark soul tracks as Van Morrison's "Gloria" and Wilson Pickett's "Land of 1000 Dances," and in doing so makes them her own. But this is far from an artsy high-brow record. "Redondo Beach" has a nice groove and a couple of other tunes flat out rock, thanks to guitarist Lenny Kaye and the rest of her band. This was a pivotal album for the punk movement, and remains an essential for the alternative generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars New York, New York!, July 21, 2000
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Sheer intensity! One may hear hints of her in a few musicians, but there's only one Patti Smith. She set the standard, yet remains an original.
This is a concept CD, but the concept is musical, rather than lyrical. Beginning with the dissonant chords and long tonal lines of "GLORIA," Patti Smith goes on to punk-ture the rock landscape in about 43 minutes of tone poetry, screaming vocals and snarling guitar. It's the musical equivalent of "Howl."
In many songs it sounds like the rhythm might slip out from under the vocals and go on in an entirely different direction. There's something going on here! Beautifully recorded and mixed, the voicings are distinct, both melodic and dissonant. Someone may observe these days, "that's been done before." It probably has--by Patti Smith. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Grandmother Of Alternative Female Rock, January 25, 2006
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
This is one of the greatest debuts of all time, Patti Smith is a true legend, despite no RIAA certified albums and one charting single. She has shaped much of the female music we hear today, everyone from Alanis Morissette to PJ Harvey have obvious influences from her music and prescence in the industry.

"Horses" released in 1975 saw the dawn of the angsty alternative female 'persona' and music scene. This album was widely praised for it's innovation and progression even though it was only a minor hit.

"Horses" is a defined classic in every right, from the cover photo to the songs everything is unique and special.

The album opens with "Gloria", the best song on the album. The song is a rock track firstly but has gospel influences in the chorus with a choir chanting "Gloria". Patti's voice is really raw and pure, making the song that much more believeable.

"Redondo Beach" is a reggae-ska influenced track that sounds similar to No Doubt's early work. I loved the synth arrangement, it really works wonders alongside Patti's beautiful voice.

"Birdland" is the first of two tracks that run over nine minutes. To do that is potentially fatal to an album as it can easily bore a listener and is hard to right a song that long. This song has nothing boring about it and I found myself thoroughly enjoying it.

"Free Money" starts with a lovely piano opening and continues in a vein of a mid-tempo ballad until... the chorus when it goes into pure rock. This track sound like a classic mosh-pit song.

"Kimberly" is another beautiful track that has everything, Patti's beautiful voice, catchy guitar riffs and a beautiful subtle background synth. The song sounds a tiny bit like "Redondo Beach" with it's synth although it's much subtler here.

"Break It Up" is a great anthem like song that has a lovely soaring lead guitar from Tom Verlaine of Television fame. I really love the hook in this song. It's one of my favourites and it contains some nice vocal textures from Patti.

"Land" is the last of the two nine minute epics. In my opinion this one is far better than "Birdland". It's a mixture of spoken poetry and full blown rock. The guitar really is a feature of this song. Long, but well worth the listen.

"Elegie" is a short haunting track with another guest guitarist, Allen Lanier of Blue Oyster Cult. It's a nice eerie track. Patti's voice is more subdued here, surprisingly.

A bonus track on the re-issue is a live version of "My Generation" recorded live in 1976 at The Agora in Cleveland, Ohio. This song rocks the live feel is one of immense energy and stage presence I would love to see video footage of it. Patti's voice is so raw and bare here proving she sounds just as good live as she does on CD.

Overall, this is an essential for any female music lover, this is the first emergence that women could compete in the rock and alternative music fields. Patti created, crafted this classic which many generations can now love and appreciate. I just hope the Hall Of Fame & GRAMMY borads realise her importance in the industry and recognise her talents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Iconoclast, December 25, 2001
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Originally better known as a beat-style poet of the New York avant guard, in the 1970s Smith began to offer public readings with music--and quickly developed into an iconoclastic artist of remarkable intensity. HORSES, a collection that slaps the listener from explosive ferocity to lotus-like lyricism and then back again, is her debut album.
This is not your grandmother's rock and roll. Smith opens HORSES with a hard-rocking and revamped version of the old standard "Gloria"--and reinterprets the piece into a determined, deliberate, and defiant bit of blasphemy calculated to snap even a non-believer's head back. The shock of "Gloria" sets the tone for the rest of the album: no boundries tolerated. And Smith and her band actually manage to follow through, with pieces that encompass subjects ranging from dreams of aliens to homosexual rape to suicide. Smith's voice can be quite melodic, but for HORSES she emphasises vocal authority, growling, dragging, and sometimes even throwing away all tonal quality entirely.
HORSES is rather loosely structured, and some of the tracks work better than others--but even by today's standards the album retains its cutting edge. And its an edge Smith knows how to use. The album is an essential, but brace yourself: it is a demanding ride.

Horses
Horses by Patti Smith (Audio CD - 2005)
Rate and Discover Movies