Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$16.99

on November 5, 2005
I saw Patti read poetry alone. I saw Patti & Lenny at St. Marks Church. I saw Patti, Lenny & Richard at Max's. I was there at her last gig at the Academy of Music before a long hiatus. I rejoiced at her comeback performance at the Ritz after Fred "Sonic" Smith's passing. I saw Patti so often she once told me at a CCNY poetry reading, "You've seen me more than my manager!" All that I love about rock & roll is embodied in "Horses." When I listen I hear the Shangrilas in her girl-group vocals. Early Stones with Brian Jones in her swagger. Hardly ever do poetry and 3-chord rock marry so seamlessly. When she intones, "Suddenly, Johnny, gets the feeling, he's surrounded by horses, horses, horses...do you know how to pony?" it still makes my heart beat faster. Patti Smith is the original Riot Grrrl. The first woman, after Grace Slick, to not be a "my man done left me" victim. She hit a home run out of the ballpark with this record, uneclipsed even 30 years later. I still listen to everything she records, and see her & the band as often as they play live. She set the bar high. It hasn't dated in all these years.
66 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2005
Rolling Stone Magazine named "Horses" one of the top 50 rock albums of all time. You will understand why when you listen to this beautifully remastered 30th annivery CD. Patti Smith mixes poetry, parts of iconic rock and roll songs, double track lyrics and strong narratives always with a fine basic rock beat that draws you in if you get confused (the lyrics are also included in a booklet).

The real jem here is the live CD that expands on each song, especially "Land," my favorite. Thirty years later Patti is as sassy and spell binding as ever. I saw Patti Smith four times in person during the 1970s, but never heard her sing "Land." The live version of the song runs about 17 minutes and is worth the wait. Patti has added a brief prologue and additional lyrics that explain the meaning of the song more (and bashes cell phones and other distractions). I still don't comletely understand the song, but this version rocks so hard that it makes little difference. Others like the song "Birdland" better; this live concert has an excellent version of that song also. As with all good live albums, the music sounds better the louder you play it.

Other commnents: the remastered CD sounds great with high price earphone, the live CD less good. The price is too high, so high

that it will probably discourage all but hard core fans from buying this 30th Anniversery package.
on September 28, 2000
I am 43. When I first heard this I was 20. It totally shocked me from the very first notes in a friend's bedroom, stayed with me over the years and is still - remarkably - my favourite album for its force, drive, beautiful melancholy sounds, strange poetry, like a door opening on something I never believed could exist until I heard and saw it, and full of a warm compassion for the listener that is absent on all of Patti's influences. I heard someone said that though she was openly influenced by the Stones, the Velvets and the Doors (and Dylan) she also managed to outdo them all... the album is all but perfect... did they resolve the mains hum buzz all through the original vinyl disc? And 'My Generation' (by coincidence my favourite single, from The Who) is scrappy but OK, but why oh why is 'Piss Factory' - one of her best songs from this era - not included? That's the only slight minus in this lovely re-issue. If you have never heard Patti Smith, just get this record and enjoy. A pure gift.
on November 17, 2005
Oh, I cannot believe my ears! Wow! I already had the previous remastered version of HORSES but I feel not guilty and I'm totally satisfied of having spent € 21,00 for this wonder! The first CD is History with capitol H and, since everything has been said about it in such beautiful and expressive ways I could never reach, I won't tell - except that it is my favourite foreign language album. But the second CD my friends...the second CD, uhhhhh! The entire HORSES album played live in London, last june... I have never had the fortune of seeing Patti and her Group playing live in my country - even though they come here in Italy quite often I always miss them for either the tickets are sold out or I come to know only the day after the concert in newspapers articles! sh..! - so now I finally know what she is about. And I'm beautifully upset. I mean, this Woman is 59 years old and she sings with such a rage, emotion, power, intensity, courage and, finally, love that vivid, sensual vibrations hit you when you listen. It's an incredible experience. "Gloria" is superb, "Birdland" (probably my favourite Patti song) nearly makes you forget about the original version and "Land" with its 17 minutes and an added speech introducing the song just gives you the creeps!

Oh, I'd just like to embrace Patti and hold her tight and just say "I salute thee", for all she did to me. She changed my way of seeing poetry, music and reality. She makes me dream of hope and beauty and...oh! so many things I would express but I have to go now.

So, I strongly recommed you this work of art.
on August 17, 2002
Released alsmost 10 years before I was born. This LP must have been fresh at the time (and still is). This LP is indeed a must have in your cd collection. The 90's angry rock females wouldn't have existed without Patti Smith and this album shows it a mix of raw rock , 70's punk and late 60's rock (Jimi Hendrix, doors, velvet undground). This album stands out as one of the best albums by a female artist. She is angry And agressive. A woman who has a raw voice and guts to tell it like it is. For every music lover get a copy of this album. Cause this album is a gem and patti Smith rocks.
Sheer intensity! One may hear hints of her in a few musicians, but there's only one Patty Smith. She set the standard, yet remains an original.
This is a concept CD, but the concept is musical, rather than lyrical. Beginning with the dissonant chords and long tonal lines of "GLORIA," Patty Smith goes on to punk-ture the rock landscape in about 43 minutes of tone poetry, screaming vocals and snarling guitar. It's the musical equivalent of "Howl."
A few songs, or fragments of songs, are somewhat melodic and playful, almost teasing. While these are "easier" and sound great, the CD is most notable for its shredding power, and the sound of the most original female voice in rock. Great support on guitar and drums. Intense and poetic, yet somehow unaffected and sincere, she makes the spoken/sung lyric not only compelling, but credible.
In many songs it sounds like the rhythm might slip out from under the vocals and go on in an entirely different direction. There's something going on here! Beautifully recorded and mixed, the voicings are distinct, both melodic and dissonant. Someone may observe these days, "that's been done before." It probably has--by Patty Smith. Highly recommended.
on April 25, 2012
I did not come across this album until several years after it had been released and was thrilled to find it. The remastered version of the "Horses" album was a pleasure in itself, but the true gem here is the live 2005 Lonodon concert at which Smith and her band performed that magnificent 1975 work in its entirety. The sound engineering here is superlative, especially for a live performance - the sound is crisp and clear; there are only a few points at which the mix is a bit off. I find these performances astounding, perhaps definitive. I've never heard a more compelling rendition of "Gloria." The band is tight, Smith's articulation and phrasing, joined to driving energy make this perfromance unforgettable. Likewise, the haunting poetic dimension of "Birdland" really comes through, and the frenetic force behind "Free Money" makes this rendition very compelling. "Land" is unsurprisingly, a tour de force. I find nothing self-indulgent in the live disc, as another reviewer complained. This concert performance of a ground-breaking album is a testament to Smith's talents as an artist and performer of enduring significance.
Sheer intensity! One may hear hints of her in a few musicians, but there's only one Patti Smith. She set the standard, yet remains an original.
This is a concept CD, but the concept is musical, rather than lyrical. Beginning with the dissonant chords and long tonal lines of "GLORIA," Patti Smith goes on to punk-ture the rock landscape in about 43 minutes of tone poetry, screaming vocals and snarling guitar. It's the musical equivalent of "Howl."
In many songs it sounds like the rhythm might slip out from under the vocals and go on in an entirely different direction. There's something going on here! Beautifully recorded and mixed, the voicings are distinct, both melodic and dissonant. Someone may observe these days, "that's been done before." It probably has--by Patti Smith. Highly recommended.
on December 15, 1998
How influential is Patti Smith? Let's just say that riot grrrls from Chrissie Hynde to Alanis Morissette would not exist without her. Michael Stipe and Bruce Springsteen are some of her many admirers. And here's why: Horses is a phenomenal album. Smith's poetic creativity pours forth from every track. She deconstructs such landmark soul tracks as Van Morrison's "Gloria" and Wilson Pickett's "Land of 1000 Dances," and in doing so makes them her own. But this is far from an artsy high-brow record. "Redondo Beach" has a nice groove and a couple of other tunes flat out rock, thanks to guitarist Lenny Kaye and the rest of her band. This was a pivotal album for the punk movement, and remains an essential for the alternative generation.
on May 17, 2005
It gives me great pleasure to think that if anyone ever tried to cover any of the songs they would be making a complete joke of themselves. Ironically, "land of a thousand dances", a cover of a song made popular by wilson picket, and van morrisons "gloria" have got patti's guts all over um. If Neil Young was about one thousand times sexier maybe his "down by the river" could be a male equivalent. But, Patti Smith transends any gender issue despite the fact she and janus will never be matched in the female frontman category. If I had to attempt to show anyone the power of rock and roll I would just play "free money" and walk away. Also, the ballad "birdland" despite its 9 minute and 14 second span is probably the most captivating song on the album. She is simply put, fierce and fearless. Too many of our precious baby boomers missed this classic album in 1975 and now they scratch their heads as their own precious little one's slam good charlotte and simple plan into thier sad souls.