5.0 out of 5 stars Shut up and play your guitar--sort of
This CD was released in 2007, but is supposedly made up of material recorded years earlier. The CD is around 45 minutes long and the sound quality is excellent. My copy came in a cardboard case (I think they call it a digipack). I don't know if it still does.

Published on January 31, 2010 by kireviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh...
Definitely NOT T. Anastasio's best effort. Listening is sometimes challenging. "Shine" was much better. Sounds like it was recorded live with a little beer thrown in... lacks musical craftsmanship.
Published on May 25, 2012 by Frank Costanzo

5.0 out of 5 stars Shut up and play your guitar--sort of, January 31, 2010
kireviewer (Sunnyvale, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)

This made up of "big band" instrumentals, featuring a lot of horns and less guitar. They remind me of Frank Zappa's jazz stylings, but with more of a Phish flavor. This album is nothing like a Phish album, but you can certainly hear the Phish influences in the music. Some of the tracks just seemed so familiar to me when I first played this CD...it was almost as if I had heard them before. I don't agree with the reviewer who said that the music is funky. It is more jazzy.

But, the best thing about this CD is that there are no vocals, meaning there are no really bad song lyrics. Anatasio's other solo studio albums featured some wonderful music, with some very bad songs. And it wasn't just the lyrics that were bad, it was also the song structures.

I like songs and Anatasio's voice is not bad. It is just so many of his songs are horrendous. He does on a occasion have very good songs, but those are in the minority.

Frank Zappa released a series of LPs called "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar". Zappa recognized that some fans just want to hear him play. But, Zappa also wrote very good songs, for the most part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so Phishy, December 7, 2007
Carl N. Bloom (Carbondale, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)
I was a little wary of buying a Trey Anastasio solo album, as I always though of Phish as a hit and miss band. Inspired by listening to Oysterhead, I decided to give it a try, and I was very happy to hear that Trey is moving into new areas and opening up his creativity to something like jazz fusion. It is an interesting mix of horns, guitars and beats that keeps this CD pumping, and its complexity is wonderful. Especially good tracks include the first one, Streets of San Fran, as well as the 5th Round and Noodle Rave. I'm glad Trey doesn't sing--not because I don't like his voice, but because it allows the music to carry the album, and that it does. I look forward to going back and picking up more of his solo work based on this solid CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Phish, August 9, 2007
Gustavo (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)
If you're expecting Phish, don't buy this album. Much like Seis de Mayo, this is an album that features Trey's ability for music composition and arrangement. Any true phan will tell you most of Trey's post-breakup releases have been sub par. But this one is actually worthy of a 5 star rating. If you liked Seis de Mayo, you will probably like this album. If you're expecting Phish, you won't like this. If you're expecting Trey's signature guitar solos, don't buy this album. If you're expecting a jam session with former Phish members who happened to show up at the studio, don't buy this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars sent as a gift, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)
My Brother received it, and loved it, came in good condition. Its good listening. and I recommend it. get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horseshoe Curve, June 3, 2013
This review is from: The Horseshoe Curve (MP3 Music)
Great album. Sounds as good as it does hearing the songs played live. This CD is a must have for any Trey or Phish fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice organstuff, May 15, 2011
Ad Arma "Ad Arma" (Holland, (Les Pays Bas)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)
Horseshoe Curve is an exception.
For me the only work really fully diggggable of the wondering musician Trey Anastasio.
Love it in it's swing and move and funk from beginning to end !

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 10, 2014
This review is from: The Horseshoe Curve (MP3 Music)
nice addition

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., May 25, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Different for Trey, October 1, 2007
J. K. Richter (Deployed: Kandahar Afghanistan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)
I am a big Trey Anastasio fan. I sense with this CD he is expanding his musical taste. This reminds me of Elvis Costello and how he branches in many directions, musically.
This CD is good. I actually give it 3 1/2 stars. I am a fan of Jazz and funk, however, this CD seems to be a little "TOO BUSY" for my taste. I think Trey is brilliant, however, I also think this really is not his Genre.
I am not dissapointed with my purchase, it's just something I will not indulge in as per say BAR 17 or SHINE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the guitar?, July 30, 2007
This review is from: Horseshoe Curve (Audio CD)
Excuse me if i'm being simplistic, but isn't Trey Anastasio known for guitar playing? Yet again the "former" guitar giant gives us a collection of songs where his signature solos are largely missing. Granted, there are some interesting compositions here and Anastasio deserves some kudos for that. But this is mostly a collection of unstructured free form jams that begin and end in the middle and feature everyone but Trey. It would be really great to hear Anastasio jump out in front, or trade licks with these very gifted jazz musicians, bit frankly he almost seems timid about doing so.

Horseshoe Curve
Horseshoe Curve by Trey Anastasio (Audio CD - 2007)