Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

on February 19, 2011
Unlike all the other universal DC supplies I've seen, this one is voltage regulated. This means there's a semiconductor control that keeps the voltage constant across a wide range of loads. Without regulation, the voltage of a DC supply will only be correct when it's providing its rated current output. If the load is less, the voltage will rise and could damage the device being powered.

The supply is rated for 1200mA and can run on AC at 100 to 240 volts. Under a 580mA load on the 12v setting the voltage fell from 12.06v to 11.82v. On the 6v setting it fell from 5.68v to 5.48v. This is pretty good. With the regulation, there's no risk of damaging the device being powered, as long as you set the voltage and plug polarity properly.

Compared to another of my universal supplies, this one causes a bit less buzz when powering a little self-amplified speaker. I had to hold the speaker right up to my ear to hear the noise.

Since it's a switching power supply rather than a transformer, it's small and light compared to other universal supplies I've seen. When left plugged in with no load, it doesn't get warm at all.

The AC plug prongs fold down for easier storage.

The only criticism I'd offer is that the selection of plug tips could be better. I'd like to see a couple of the headphone-like plugs, and a 9-volt battery connector. If it had 12 plug tips like some other supplies, it'd be a perfect product. But I think you can buy other tips of this type; it seems to be a standard.

I may buy a couple more of these.
2323 comments|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2010
This is light weight unlike other cheap adapters. Weighs about the same as an ordinary cellphone charger. Approximate dimension: 7.5cm x 4.8cm x 3.5cm.

Output voltage measured 9.22V~9.23V while selector was set at 9V and input current at 119.2V to 119.6V. This is an impressive ~2.55% variance (without considering the fact that the input voltage was not exactly 120V). A new 9V alkaline battery measures 9.29V.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2010
I bought this to replace the one that came with my router. My wireless router's original adapter goes really hot in use. Since I needed to keep it on everyday, I was afraid that it would explode and burn my house someday. This one works pretty well, the temperature keeps in a normal range and it is adjustable for other products.
on December 14, 2012
Perfect for the "Rainbow In My Room" by Uncle Milton, which does not come with any way to plug it in (only battery powered!) We were not able to find an adapter anywhere in town including Radio Shack, so this was a real bonus.
Fast shipment and works!
on January 20, 2011
I hooked it up to my multimeter and all voltages were within .3v with fairly clean power from the wall. It powers an old RF Modulator and video switch, and works splendidly. Only had it a few days so if it blows up (doesn't get hot so doesn't seem likely) i'll be sure to redo this review. Good product in my opinion. Came with the tip i wanted and any reviewer who says it doesn't show polarity didn't read the instruction manual. Says exactly how to do the polarity correct.
on January 3, 2012
This adapter works great. I needed a 9 volt & it works to a tee. Very easy to use as long as you attach the plug the right way,if not you will think it's not working. I discovered that after attaching it & taking it off. When I saw that my portable dvd player did not power on or recharge after I tried it the first time, I unplugged it and attached the plug the other way around. So it's doing great. It's worth the money.
on February 15, 2015
Handy little contraption to have on hand. Just change a tip and set the voltage and you can replace just about any missing wall wart.

For the benefit of all, here are the exact tip measurements. The first number is inner diameter, the second is outer diameter. This information comes from Hosa.

Black: 2.5 x 5.5 mm
Blue: 2.1 x 5.5 mm
Red: 1.5 x 5 mm
Yellow: 1.7 x 4 mm
Orange: 1.35 x 3.5 mm
Yellow: 0.75 x 2.35 mm
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 25, 2015
The Hosa Cable ACD477 Universal AC Power Supply has multiple voltage settings and tips to work with almost anything that takes a wall wart. The tips are simple to change or flip polarity, and voltage configuration with the well-marked dial is easy. Unfortunately, the ACD477 falls short in actual use: cheap lightweight build, really thin and delicate power cable and runs hot. Mine makes a hissing sound after powering a small LED light for 30 minutes, so no good for video or audio sessions. I don’t have any way of measuring if the rated 1200mA output is true, but my old Radio Shack 500mA wall wart is twice as heavy, runs cool and powers devices silently. Perhaps the ACD477 is okay for light duty use but I wouldn’t trust it in any mission critical assignments such as paying gigs, recording or data protection.
on April 7, 2013
Ordered this as a replacement charger for a Motorola Baby Camera.
Verified voltage and polarity and the tip fit fine.
Worked great for a month or so and stopped out of the blue.
on August 28, 2012
While this works (a replacement since my cat chewed through the ac adaptor on my radio), it does not work well for radios -- LOTS of interference noise on all AM/FM station reception. Will have to find another solution.