5.0 out of 5 stars A lucky find
Published on January 2, 2011 by Samuel Chell

2.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For
Published on February 17, 2012 by Rockinroller

5.0 out of 5 stars A lucky find, January 2, 2011
This review is from: Hosa Cable CSS110 TRS to TRS Interconnect Cables - 10 Foot (Electronics)
Recently, some manufacturers of digital pianos and other electronic musical equipment have been insisting on the use of "balanced" cables, which are apparently a distinct minority among available cables on Amazon. The output jacks on my most recent instrument, a Kurzweil PC1se, wouldn't even accept a conventional unbalanced, or "monaural," Monster instrument cable. Not wanting to pay the high prices commanded by some of the premium brands, I settled on the "CBI" balanced cables, sold directly by Amazon. They appear to be heavy-duty, but after a few limited uses I was unable to screw down the metal caps tightly over the solder-point. Instead, the cap acted as though it had stripped the bottom half it was intended to screw into, simply revolving endlessly--not exactly a secure solution for a typical, stressed musician.

These Hosa cables may appear more cheaply made--they're thinner, more supple, the joints encased in hermetically sealed plastic, with no possibility of unscrewing a metal cap and "repairing" a cable that's loosened from the connecting balanced pin. But they've proven so effective I now wish I'd ordered several more when I first saw them (the 10-foot cable was 40% cheaper only several weeks ago, since there was no postage charge). But even as currently priced, they cost half of what I paid for the CBI balanced cables.

A year later, and I notice that some of the "name brands" have appreciated in price by 50% whereas the price of this Hosa cable is about the same. I have little hesitation in recommending it (pick up a spare).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item!, April 20, 2011
I am a music producer and mix engineer. I was skeptical about these cables from all of the audiophile forums I had checked out. Everyone rants and raves about Mogami cables. Yes Mogami are great, but they are so expensive. These cables work perfectly fine from my audio interface to my studio monitors. I have not had any problems with them at all. I will be purchasing more for my hardware synths. I highly recommend these Hosa cables.

2.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, February 17, 2012
Compared to Mogami and Monster, these cables are a steal. In fact, the only issue with them is that they don't last. The sealed ends mask the absence of quality in the connectors--the most critical aspect of any cable--and unfortunately within a few months of inputting, removing, inputting, etc, those ends begin to fail, thus compromising the integrity and utility of the entire length.

For approximately 50 cents @ foot, this is probably a decent purchase to consider, versus the $3 @ ft. prices for Monster and Mogami--provided you are willing to consider these cables disposable and potentially a disruption at an unannounced time.

You get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, January 14, 2013
No background noise or humming, just 100% pure quality. Perfect audio every time, can't complain about that. Will order again.

5.0 out of 5 stars They work, January 13, 2012
They are 1/4" cables and they work. Not much more to say. No interference or anything like that wrong with these. Great solution if you are on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, November 30, 2011
I used this cable to connect the dual zone pads of my electronic drum kit to the brain. It works fine with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cable, June 26, 2011
good quality cable for a cheap price with no problem at all. good length and there are longer versions. use it for a mic receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cost-effective TRS Solution, July 19, 2013
I bought three pair of these to use with a HOSA AUDIO SIGNAL SELECTOR I picked up for my home studio. All of them worked as expected and the price is fantastic.

I monitor on Bluesky Mediadesk 2.1, a pair of KRK Rokit 5s, and an Avant Electronics Mixcube-A1 Avantone Shielded Powered Mini-Reference Monitor - Single. With these TRS cables the speakers are completely silent when they aren't receiving signal, which is why you should always use TRS if your equipment can manage it. The noise-cancelling property of TRS connections is due to physics. If it works, it works! It doesn't work a little, or work better or worse.

These are perfect for applications where you are connecting something once and then leaving it alone. They should hold up under light use. I expect these to last for a very long time in my setup, for example. In this situation, IMO it is foolish to spend more for something that will cancel line noise exactly the same way.

If durability is a major concern then these are not the cables for you. I would not recommend these for mobile or live use, where they would be plugged and unplugged often and/or wadded up at the bottom of a cable box then expected to perform in critical conditions. The downside of *if it works it works* is that if it's only "a little bit broken" it doesn't work at all. I imagine that with frequent use these will fail where the cable joins the jack, and it looks like the plastic jacket makes them impossible to repair. However, these are so cheap that trying to fix them would be kind of like trying to sharpen and re-use a disposable razor. For the pros, these are suitable to purchase several, leave them in their packaging, and throw them into your gear-box for that time when your more expensive cables fail. These will get you through the gig so that you can get back and repair your more durable cables. But again, I would be sweating if I was regularly relying on these in gigging situations or if I was using them as anything but a backup while providing live sound in a venue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of this product, March 24, 2013
I have other cables by Hosa that are fine. These are not. I plugged them vertically into a mixer board and the speaker started cutting in and out when I moved the cable around near the boot and plug. I ordered 2 at the same time and they are both defective. To make sure it wasn't the cable socket on my mixer, I tried another cable I had and it works perfectly on both outputs.
I waited too long to discover this and cannot return them without paying shipping and only getting a partial refund. I'm not too happy about paying $16.56 for two defective cables. If you order these, be sure and check them out right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable and a great price!, February 18, 2013
I have a Peavey Valve King 100w Half Stack and the footswitch's cable is too short. So I bought this along with a splitter and now the footswitch goes all the way across the stage!

I will update if this cable doesn't last. As of now, it appears to look a bit thin, but it works fine for now!

Rate and Discover Movies