Customer Discussions > A Thousand Splendid Suns forum

Hosseini is an American propaganda machine

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 230 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2007 2:11:46 PM PDT
Who else agress Hosseini is simply justifying the USA invasion of Afghanistan? Notice how he creates cartoon characters of Taleban officials as child abusers and women in Islamic countries are all down trodden and all the Communist Russians were evil pillagers...it's like the CIA paid him to paint a negative picture of their enemies to justify their actions. He totally failed to mention CIA involvement in the Taleban's rise to power and even managed to praise Israel. Bravo Khaled the American Right is probably very proud of you. The Afghan people on the other hand will have a very different opinion of you-a man whose family turned their back as the nation was destroyed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007 3:57:29 PM PDT
I hope you know the difference between fiction and fact. You are such an angry man. I will pray that you find peace in your heart one day soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007 4:21:19 PM PDT
jane says:
Hey now, Mr. Khan cool down! What is this? Are you envious about Mr. Hosseini's writing success and angry that America's portrayed as a place of hope? Embarrassed, perhaps at his honest portrayal of political and humanitarian upheaval in Afghanistan?

As I said before: write your own book. If it's well done, it'll sell. But you need to master the English language--just as Mr. Hosseini's done. So stop wasting your energy on anti-American spewage. Prove yourself. Write. Sell. Become successful. In America it's possible, you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 6:50:53 AM PDT
telling the truth about America is not wasting time...he completely glossed over the role the CIA had to play in the history of Afghanistan...who armed the Taleban and left the country to rot after the Russians pulled out and only invaded because the American public wanted revenge for 9/11? That's right-the Americans. Mr Hosseini is only successful because he is pushing the American agenda-he even manages to praise Israel's military prowess and the UK in the novel. I'd never sell my soul like that. What does he know about Afghanistan? his family ran away as soon as there was any problems. 2 weeks in the country means nothing. peole are forced to sell their children into marriages to eat now-is this the hope the Americans bring? Nice. America is a nation built on the misery of others-the CIA have a lot of blood on their hands. And excuse me there is nothing wrong with my grasp of the English language, I just made some typos because I was incensed at the blind flag waving Hosseini is doing in the name of the Afghan people. I'd rather be successful anywhere in the world except for America-only people with no moral fabric are successful there. Patronising freaks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 6:54:31 AM PDT
He is claiming his story is based on fact, and most Americans don't even know where Afghanistan is or know the part the CIA played in teh country's downfall, they will read TKR and ATSS and think that America is a place where Afghan immigrants are given hope and how Christian Americans are running orphanages to help. Afghan immigrants are treated liek terrorist suspects in the USA as are all Muslims and why should adopting be the only option? You should rebuild teh countries like Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan you helped to destroy-not buy their children. I will fidn peace in my heart when my people are at peace, and Mr hosseini has done nothing but justify the myth that all the Taleban were bad and America invaded to rmeove this menace. America didnt care for decades-they invaded only for their own selfish reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 11:37:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2007 11:40:18 AM PDT
Ellen Hanson says:
Am I missing something? This book is not about America. It's about the virtual enslavement of women in Afghanistan. How is it America's fault that Muslim women have almost no rights in Afghanistan? How is it America's fault that the Taliban made and enforced laws that stripped Afghani women of what little rights they had? This book is about women. All your arguments against the book have absolutely nothing to do with what this book is about. Are you missing the point on purpose? Is it because you see women as inferior and not deserving of the right to an education? To employment? To decide for themselves who they will marry? To walk in public without having to cover their entire bodies just to keep from tempting the instincts of men??? Are you ignoring the meaning of this book on purpose just to confuse the readers (or yourself) from it's real meaning? Or are you so enraged that America has not saved Afghanistan - a nation that seems to have done nothing to save itself - that you simply cannot see straight?

What has Afghanistan done to save itself? Why do you think America is responsible for saving Afghanistan? Do you look to Muslim countries to save other countries in need? Who will save Sudan? Why not look to Saudi Arabia for help - now there's a nation with great wealth. Why not hold Saudi Arabia responsible for saving Sudan? Or for not having saved Afghanistan? Or for not saving the multitude of other nations that need saving? Why do you look only to America for help?

I don't discount your complaints against America. But at the same time, America isn't responsibile for cleaning up the messes of every other country. America helped Afghanistan get rid of the Russians. Perhaps they left precipitiously, but how do you hold America responsible for the in-fighting between all the Afghani warlords?

Your hatred and anger for America is palpable, but they have no place on this site. This book has nothing to do with America. This books tells the story of how women in Afghanistan are abused. That's a story you don't seem to want told.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 1:42:08 PM PDT
Poor Mr. Khan. He stuck his neck out and got it chopped off by one poster after another. Yes this book is primarily about the suffering of women in a society where they have few rights but Hosseini also claims a bigger canvas -- he chooses to write about the political upheaval in his country.

Are you all so sure that he doesn't have a point?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 6:50:02 PM PDT
Ellen Hanson says:
His point is very convoluted. What exactly is he trying to say - that America is responsible for all the problems in Afghanistan? I don't buy that. The way he rants and raves, his hatred for the U.S. is obvious, so it's difficult to take his review of this book seriously.

Do you think Hosseini misrepresented America's role in Afghanistan in this book? I don't think so. America's involvement in Afghanistan was barely addressed at all. It simply wasn't the point of the story. It wasn't even the backdrop.

And by the way, Mr. Khan says America invaded Afghanistan "for their own selfish reasons." He didn't complain about American involvement in Iraq; he complained about American involvemnt in Afghanistan. Has Mr. Khan forgotten that Bin Laden ordered planes flown into American buildings and killed over 3,000 innocent civilians? Or maybe he thinks the American government should have allowed the Taliban to get away with hiding Bin Laden without incident????

Poor Mr. Kahn. He really stuck his neck out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 7:10:47 PM PDT
Do you really believe that we invaded Afghanistan to only find Bin Laden (where is he by the way?)Did the trans-Afghanistan pipeline have anything to do with it? Our relations with Pakistan? Getting ready to invade Iraq? Do you know? Are you so sure?

This book says a lot about history and politics as well as about women.The situation is complicated. I think perhaps what Mr. Khan is trying to say (and I agree he does rant a bit and go off on tangents) is that in the book the arrival of the US in seen as a good thing, a respite and a relief whereas in reality the lives of women and children in Afghanistan today are every bit as miserable as they were under the Taleban, during the Soviet invasion, etc. etc.

Perhaps it is his sorrow about Afghanistan not his hatred of the US that informs his opinion. Could be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2007 3:30:10 AM PDT
Ellen Hanson you epitomise the audience for this book-ignorant and arrogant. Why do you refer to them as Muslim women in Afghanistan? Surely they are Afghan women? What are you trying to say that Muslim women suffer everywhere? That just shows your ignorance and wholesale acceptance of the prejudice that your media feeds you. Well done.

America left Afghanistan to the warlords-having armed them and riled them up to stop Communist Russia. And to portray them all as cartoon one dimensional paedophiles was a bit pathetic-totally pandering to Republican sentiment by Hosseini without understanding they are just as much victims as the women. Why should I mention Iraq when the novel is about Afghanistan? And my reference to America as the great white hope was about the Kite Runner not this novel. America has done nothing but help destroy Afghanistan-why are they in Afghanistan anyway? Have al-Qaeda been destroyed? Where is Osama? And u say:

"Has Mr. Khan forgotten that Bin Laden ordered planes flown into American buildings and killed over 3,000 innocent civilians? Or maybe he thinks the American government should have allowed the Taliban to get away with hiding Bin Laden without incident????"

There you go. The invasion of Afghanistan was an empty revenge tactic-we cant find Bin Laden but let's go and kill some people who look like him to make ourselves feel better. You complain about 3,000 civilians? 2,000 civilians died in Iraq last month! How many Afghans have died since the invasion? No civilians should die anywhere but why punish the Afghans and Iraqis for a crime they didnt commit? All for what? Oil, gas pipelines, revenge and Israel's security?

Good job I can show America up for what it is. Did you know a few months ago the American CIA tried to kill the Venezuelan President? Why? because he refuses to sell cheap oil to you guys. That's the sort of country you are so don't use 9/11 to play the victim card because the victims of American imperialism far outweigh the victims of 9/11. Or are non WASP non American victims not important to you?

My point about this novel is that it suggesting that Afghan women were in a dire state before the US invasion, and that invading will free them. I dont think so. Women r still in the same position, and it has nothing to do with Islam.

Don't patronise me with your 'poor Mr Khan' sentiments. there is nothing poor about being knowledgeable and standing up for the truth. Shame they ended the X Files-at least it had the gust to show how shady and underhand the US government is.

If Mr hosseini wants a non political review he needs to not politicise his villains into America's taditional enemies and portray the good guys as American orphanage buyers. tell it like it is-go and speak to the Afghan people who will tell u how much they hate the CIA and American government for what they did in Afghanistan and are still doing-just last month an innocent VILLAGE was annihiliated by mistake. Go and speak to the Afghan Human Rights Commission.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2007 4:00:19 AM PDT
Ellen Hanson says:
Perhaps if you'd stated your position as intelligently in the first place, your opinion wouldn't have been so easily dismissed by other reviewers. You came across like a ranting hate-monger before, rather than a rational person. You're comments are still saturated with hate and prejudice against the U.S., but at least you have expressed your perspective in a way that makes more sense.

I disagree with you on several points, but won't bother responding to them. You have a sweeping hatred for the U.S. that any respone on my part won't dent. Besides, you're entitled to your opinion. And since you finally backed yours up, I'll leave it at that.

And by the way, if you want people to listen to you, if you want to actually have an intelligent dialogue with someone and perhaps have them see your point, don't call them arrogant and ignorant. That's how you loose your audience. And your power.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2007 9:24:17 AM PDT
Don't patronise me Ms Hanson-I dont need your approval of my position and your dismissal equally means nothing to me. I call a spade a spade. I dont have hatred for Americans. Only some Americans who constitute the economic-military fascism of America trying to maintain their power and wealth at the expense of everyone else. I often wonder why? what are they getting out of it? you cant respond to my arguments anyway because they r based on truth. by broad brushing me as an American hater you have fallen to the depths typical of your government-oh dont listen to him he hates Americans. No i dont.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2007 1:15:11 PM PDT
Ellen Hanson says:
You're right Mr. Khan, I was patronizing you - by acknowledging you're entitled to your opinion I must be one serious ignoramus. Or maybe I'm one of those Americans "who constitute the economic-military fascism of America." Whatever that means. As for the rest of the huge audience this book attracts, well, at least I'm in the majority. Oh, you'll probably use that against me too. Say I'm some sort of biggot who hates minorities. You're good at spin; problem is, your arguments are mostly empty.

Anyway, People seem to be loving this book. Just look at the reviews. I guess everyone else is as ignorant as me.

You said, "I'd rather be successful anywhere in the world except for America - only people with no moral fabric are successful there." Sounds like sour grapes to me. Or maybe someone's gotten to you. A bit of propaganda perhaps?

Oh, stop foaming at the mouth. I'm just an ignorant American with no moral fiber. Right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 3:16:04 AM PDT
Absolutely right...

The majority of the audience for this book is American not Afghani or of any other Muslim country. There is a reason for that.

Anyway I aint bothered with what you have to say. I'v expressed my opinion and the opinion felt by the majority of intelligent people who can actually see past the book's second rate writing and its political bias.

Why would it be sour grapes? Am I a writer? No. Have I tried to work/live in America ever? No again. You are so up yourself and think the sun shines out of the USA that everyone must want a piece of the action right? WHATEVER!

Who are the most successful writers of ALL TIME? Agatha Christie, JK Rowling, Shakespeare...are any of them American? I don't think so. Did any of them make it in America before the UK and Europe? I don't think so. Anyway I love Dan Brown, Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, Danielle Steele, John Grisham...they write what they know and base their books in their own truths not trying to subtely push a Republican Zionist agenda.

And stop trying to make me out to be some sort of ant-American. I have said and will say again Americans are human just like the rest of us-but the government are far from humane.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 5:53:13 AM PDT
Anyway to be frank I can't be bothered wasting anymore time on such an unimportant book...I have fairtrade and global warming and wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and Palestine and Sudan and Lebanon and Haiti to worry about...all suspiciously linked to America...hmmm...

The world sucks and I've made my point to people who see Hosseini as an Afghan representative...he represents the Republican party n thats it...

Adios people-The Truth Is Out There

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 7:55:41 AM PDT
jane says:
Dear Mr. Khan,
Until Mr. Hosseini's NEXT book...adios to your blah blah blah.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 9:49:06 AM PDT
Broaden your horizons. Read the history of the world. Read about the Roman Empire. Read about China's Imperial Empire. Read about all the "so-called" great conquerors of the world. If you put what is happening today into perspective, you would realize that you are wasting your energy and your anger. Mankind, and it doesn't matter what name you give the group or nation state that is causing suffering of any kind for any reason,. has been torturing, enslaving, and killing for thousands of years. The hate you demonstrate with your anger is just a bit more evidence that you too are adding to the misery of the world, which means there is blood on your hands too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 10:57:54 AM PDT
Victory Baby,

"Blood on your hands" is a bit extreme, don't you think? Mr. Khan may sound like a radical, but I think there's something we can learn from him. The world is not black and white. Everything doesn't fit into its perfect place. Consider Mr. Khan's ramblings as a data point that may contain a grain of enlightenment. In many respects, we Americans are insulated from the rest of the world. His anger may be indicative of how many in that region of the world feel about us. If we took the time to understand these positions rather than dismiss than as lunacy, we may gain some insight into why people are willing to strap bombs to themselves to attack us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 11:10:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2007 11:14:06 AM PDT
avid reader says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 11:49:45 AM PDT
JP Girl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 11:49:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 7, 2007 11:51:20 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 12:23:08 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
You must not have read well, because he doesn't live in America: "Have I tried to work/live in America ever? No again."

Maybe, we don't all agree--that is fine, but it is import to address the points of others beyond America. We can easily get stuck in an overwhelming American mindset--whether or not we agree with everything the government has done. Mr. Khan addresses America beyond America.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 2:55:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2007 4:09:52 AM PDT
Ellen Hanson says:
I quite agree. We should listen and hear what people like Mr. Khan have to say - because he represents the voice of many who hate America and everything it stands for. We should listen to him carefully, because his rantings are frightening. I'm pretty left of center, and even I noticed the overt lies in his claims about America. Comments like: "Shame they ended the X-files...at least they had the guts to show how underhanded the U.S. gov't is" - who is "they"? That show ran for years; I'm pretty sure that show ended because the actors wanted to move on in their careers. Or how about his comment that the warlords were just as much victims as the Afghani women. Huh??? Or that the U.S. invaded Afghanistan as an 'empty revenge tactic' for 9/11. EMPTY REVENGE TACTIC??? Or that 'women are still in a dire state and it has nothing to do with Islam.' Really? It's the Islam fundamentalists who have treated their women as possessions, and who have passed laws such that this book describes. And by the way, after reading Mr. Khans rantings, I did some research myself on the history of Afghanistan since the 1970's, and I discovered this: Hosseini got the history right in this book. Mr. Khan would probably say my research was flawed, that I must have read propaganda that purposefully made Islam look bad. I'd like to know this - from where does he get his knowledge???

You guys should read his review of this book - he posted it June 1st. His rantings there are even more enlightening about his perspective than here. Again, I agree that we should listen to such rantings. And be very concerned such irrational, brain-washed minds are out there hating us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 5:26:18 AM PDT
Ok I was not going to reply but I want to make one thing clear: I LOVE AMERICA AND AMERICAN PEOPLE AND AMERICAN CULTURE AND GIVE IT AS MUCH RESPECT AND TAKE AND LEAVE AS MUCH OF IT AS I DO OF OTHER CULTUES...but the America government does not represent the American people just like the UK or Afghan government does not represent me or my country...My objection is Hosseini pretending to be speaking as an Afghan and telling stories of that nation...he and his family ran away when all the troubles started and now he's rummaging through the rubble for his own personal gain...if he is that bothered why doesnt he go and live there and help the people instead of propagating an idea that Afghanistan has been 'saved' by the USA invasion?

Why does crticism of American foreign policy raise everyone's shackles and suggest that I have hatred for America? The CIA openly admits to its terror tactics. What is Guantanemo? How many people have been convicted to how many people have been released without charge? 39 suspects have just disappeared including women and children arrested by MI6 after 7/7. Nobody including the government know where they are. Is this the democracy you want to push onto Afghanistan? It's ok that we act like a police state because we give you the right to choose out of 2 candidates who both get to the top by a greasy poll that only a certain type can rise up?

I would love to visit the country where so much of my TV and literature originates...but I wouldn't beause they'd probably turn me away at customs for having a Muslim name and coming from an 'enemy' ethnic background...how ironic that while Splendid Suns sits on top of the best seller lists real Afghans are treated like terrorists and criminals at your entry points...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 8:15:07 AM PDT
avid reader says:
Mr. Khan, I, mysself, do appologize to you. I was not aware that you were not from America. That was my mistake. However, people need to realize how frusterating it is for someone lime myself, who is trying to fight for the rights and liberties of our great country, to listen to the complaints of many Americans who are griping about something they know nothing about.
As far as being treated as criminals at entrance points, you have to take into account that we are at war Mr. Kahn...as in America. Just like any country at war, we have to be very careful of who is coming in and out of our country. It is because of our country being careless of these things that members of the Taliban got in in the first place; which resulted in our country being attacked. (September 11) It is unfortunate that someone like yourself, an innocent person, has to be interrogated at our border points, but you have to realize it is only for our own safety..and you should not take it personal. If anything, you should feel safe knowing that once you do get here, you can sleep better at night, knowing that this country is taking large precautions to keep its people safe. Do innocent people get hurt in the process...unfortunately yes, but that is true of all wars Mr. Khan. It is an unfortunate downfall of trying to keep order in our ruthless world.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  103
Total posts:  230
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Paperback - November 25, 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (3,247)