Update 6.25.13--recent news of private equity firms' buying up the bankrupt Hostess--The Twinkies (and hopefully Ho-Hos!) are saved...and proved they are stronger than the Mayans might have suspected. More haiku in celebration (and the original review follows):

Up date my Haiku
Apollo Global et al
Brings back the Hostess

Twinkies will...
Published 19 months ago by Jackie-the-Greyhound

1.0 out of 5 stars This is horrible.
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars You never know how much you want something until it goes away...., November 18, 2012
This review is from: Hostess Twinkies 10 ct Sponge Cake with Creamy Filling 13.5 oz (Grocery)

Up date my Haiku
Apollo Global et al
Brings back the Hostess

Twinkies will return
Golden cakes of lard and sweet
Come July, we feast

<<<<<<< Original Review Below>>>>>>>>

Such is human nature. On a slightly serious note...these are not being sold by Amazon directly, but by a partner vendor. This means prices and shipping can vary day-to-day, and do your due diligence when looking at the individual vendor. Quality there may vary as well!

In any case, the Twinkie was supposed to live on forever (remember Wall-E!!), but were apparently no match for the Mayan Calendar. The loss moved me to write the following:

My haiku to you
Hostess Twinkies poetry
five seven and five

.......

Twinkies my sweet treat
No good for my thighs or heart
yet how I love you

artificial dye
cake and filling made of these
sugar lard and salt

Twinkies pass my lips
comfort from eating a treat
nevermore my joy

Sigh.

JTG

1.0 out of 5 stars This is horrible., February 24, 2013
Well, I got my twinkies I ordered, before the date expected. That was nice, as the packaging goes, they were enclosed with grocery bags to stop them from being smashed, and this did not work. Looks like the box was dropped a few times. And when I opened one, the twinkies were molded!!! Yes, you could see the cream was covered in black through the sponge part of the cake. and some had black spots all over them. I do not recommend anybody to buy twinkies from this seller. Unless you want to food poison you or your children. Good waste of money. I'd rate 0 stars because one star is too good for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time ago in a pastry shop far, far away..., January 7, 2013
catippins (Stuart, Florida) - See all my reviews
I am not sure how long Amazon will last into the future...

100 years?

500 years?

Ten thousand years?

We don't know.

Some of us may have lofty goals for the people of these future generations: world peace, love and equality for all mankind, cures for horrific diseases, etc.

My goal is simpler, albeit equally as important: to tell future generations just how incredible the Twinkie was and have this review serve as something of a frenzied market activity report for later study.

As you may or may not know, Hostess - the bakers and purveyors of these fine cream filled cakes went out of business in November of 2012. For a brief period of time afterwards the remaining "Twinkies of the World" were available here on Amazon.

In these "Last Days of the Twinkie", prices escalated quickly as the supply started to dwindle. This isn't surprising as "Twinkies I Have Known and Loved" are 5,000 times more addictive than heroin and 10,000 times better (possible documentary titles are in quotes).

For those of you who will never taste one, let me take you on a little trip into Bakery Heaven so you know what you missed:

Imagine the most wondrous yellow cake you've ever tasted. Perfectly sweetened with a wispy hint of vanilla. Moist. Delicious. Spongy. Simply put, an incredibly fantastic golden cake.

Injected into that cylinder size type cake in three symmetrically placed holes along the top axis is the best velvety white butter cream you will ever try to wrap your mind around. There is no adequate word in the English language to describe how good it is.

I have seen grown men fall into a catatonic like stupor eating a Twinkie.

The expressions on their faces during these quasi religious experiences are those of men having found the answers and meaning to life.

The Twinkie is - hands down - the most delicious cake I have ever consumed. I will admit to being partial to Hostesses other fine products such as Ring Dings, Devil Dogs, Funny Bones and Yankee Doodles, but the Twinkie?

It has no equal.

Part of the reason that I rushed this review out tonight is on the off chance that others may find some of the last batches still for sale. I know that Hostess sent the last round of product to Illinois and some of our VERY FINE AND WONDERFUL AND INCREDIBLY NICE PEOPLE FROM ILLINOIS (read as: send me a box please) may still have some left and may have even rented refrigeration or freezer units to store some for the upcoming months.

We can only hope and pray.

I am reluctant to publicly say how many boxes I have purchased since the news of Hostesses demise circled the planet in November of 2012.

It is more than 1 box but less than 1000 boxes is all that I will give up (not so much for fear of ridicule but mostly Twinkie Poachers).

There may very well be a fair amount of inventory left at this writing date (Dec. 22, 2012), but in closing I will just add one thing: beware.

Unscrupulous monsters are selling "generic" Twinkies.

During the placing of my second order, the vendor wrote me to say "Um, you DO know these are generic Twinkies right? I've had some people get upset to find that out when they get them".

HELLO.

You cretinous heathen.

You DARE try to sell me a generic Twinkie for Black Market Twinkie prices as if such a thing could even exist?

It was after this that I came to the conclusion that I do believe evil roams the earth.

This wraps up my Twinkie review and report of current market activity.

I will update this should an acceptable black market substitute or alternative find its way to me that I deem appropriate for our mutual consumption.

In the meantime, get them while you can.

And those of you who may be reading this 500 or 1000 years from now?

Try not to weep too hard at what you now know you missed. Perhaps the recipe was buried in a time capsule by a smart fellow somewhere.

I would strongly encourage future generations to seek out this possibility as world peace may be really great, but if you can't have that, a Twinkie is a damn good close second.

12/22/2012 Update:

As we have passed unscathed through the Mayan apocalyptic calendar date of 12/21 it seems likely that the Mayans were talking about the Twinkie all along. Well played, Mayans, well played...

1.0 out of 5 stars Old Product, April 7, 2013
I bought this in February 2013 and as I usually do when i buy something like in quantity, I throw it in the Freezer. Not a problem - Twinkies have always been able to be frozen. Yesterday April 5 I took 1 out to eat and it was TERRIBLE!! i not only threw that 1 away I threw the whole box after I checked the date on the box to be December 16 2012. I am really surprised Amazon allows out dated food to be sold on their website. It is illegal in the stores to sell out dated food and wonder why not here. I am really hesitant to buy anythng from Amazon again regardless of food or other.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD PACKING, December 10, 2012
SHOWED UP SMASHED!!!!!!!! BAD PACKING!! SENT IN ENEVELOPE!!! HELLO THERE SOFT CREAM FILLED!!
I AM SENDING BACK TO ADDRESS FROM WHERE THEY CAME.

1.0 out of 5 stars Moldy Twinkies, April 4, 2013
I was so excited to eat one of my twinkies received today. I opened the box and they were green and moldy. I bought some HO HO's too and bit into one. I immediately threw up, no exaggeration. I gagged a few times more. It was horrible and scared I just ate something toxic. I can't even describe the feeling I had.

Inspect them when you receive them. Take great care giving them to a child, try them first beforehand to make sure they're edible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, March 26, 2013
They send you expired Twinkies we had a horrible experience. They only want to give you part of your money back then email you to rate them better on these comments! Products not what we wanted! They need to be more specific on this item. Over all I'd never buy again. We ended up keeping them so we could sell them later on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Time Ago In a Pastry Shop Far, Far Away..., December 22, 2012
catippins (Stuart, Florida) - See all my reviews
I am not sure how long Amazon will last into the future...

100 years?

500 years?

Ten thousand years?

We don't know.

I have seen grown men fall into a catatonic like stupor eating a Twinkie.

It has no equal.

We can only hope and pray.

Unscrupulous monsters are selling "generic" Twinkies.

HELLO.

You cretinous heathen.

This wraps up my Twinkie review and report of current market activity.

In the meantime, get them while you can.

And those of you who may be reading this 500 or 1000 years from now?

12/22/2012 Update:

1.0 out of 5 stars EXPIRED PRODUCT, January 3, 2013
Very simply, the product expired in December 2009 !!! Yes that is correct ! the FOOD PRODUCT EXPIRED THREE (3) YEARS AGO !!! I AM GOING TO FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT WITH AMAZON.

5.0 out of 5 stars twinkie is my friend, October 4, 2013
twinkie is my friend
twinkie makes me relax
twinkie is vanila flavor
twinkie is very fat
but i always love twinkie

Rate and Discover Movies