Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hot X: Algebra Exposed!
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 13, 2010
McKellar's 3rd and latest math book encourages teenage girls to outclass the boys in algebra. This can be an especially tough subject and she tackles it in a way that invites the outlandish idea of actually enjoying math.

She rejects the notion that excelling in algebra is all about natural gift. Rather, it's about determination and making an effort.

While the sex-appeal of the book might be in question, ultimately this is a book broken down into straightforward language, easy charts and memorable reminders of the process of algebra.

Additionally, you'll find motivating stories from youthful female adults who've struggled with math, but learned to conquer their struggles.
Danica proclaims. "I'm here to tell you that giving up on ourselves because of our own stereotypes and limited imaginations is a far more destructive force than any challenge or obstacle 'out there,'"

One bonus in the book is the inclusion of good tables and charts. These can be worth the price of the book alone. These succinctly explain the meaning of math terms such as fractions, coefficients and variables.

A surprising aspect of the book is the authors inclusion of advice on how to choose the right guys to date. While she doesn't provide a mathematic formula for this it does seem she dispenses some basic common sense.
on September 12, 2010
After hearing McKellar interviewed I bought all three of her books for my daughter.

Here is the deal -daughter literally sucked at math in Jr. High and High School. Lucky for her she had a bf who helped her to survive. Fast forward 10 years, no jobs in her carrier. She took advanced math to get into her new program and Aced the class by memorization -- saying I still do not understand what I am doing. Her new carrier path requires her to understand important formulas for prescribing the right amount of drugs to seriously ill folk.

When these books arrived, she rolled her eyes thinking Dad is wasting his money getting her books dealing with Pre Algebra.... Yet within 24hours she told me that for the first time she is understanding math. In the past few weeks she has repeated how grateful she is not simply to memorize how to do formulas, but to understand the math. While my daughter is about 30, she met another woman, age 40, in her medical math class who told her the same thing - these books helped her to also finally "get" important stuff she never learned.
on August 29, 2010
Another gem from Danica. Like her first two books (Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail and Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss), Hot X: Algebra Exposed is more than a math book. It contains additional information which enlightens, provides direction, and builds self-esteem in girls and young ladies. Boys should also use it -- just skip the chick stuff and go for the math.

At last, a book that teaches middle-school students and their parents in simple terms how to solve quadratic equations by completing the square and to solve the quadratic equation in standard form in X (ax^2 + bx + c = 0) to come up with the quadratic forumla. Most colleges and high schools do not teach this -- they just expect the student to know it.

The charter school I support plans to use Hot X: Algebra Exposed in concert with the first two books to ensure most or all Grade 8 students attain an A (93 or higher) in Algebra I.

Danica McKellar needs to continue writing math books. Since these are such outstanding books, few state departments of education will adopt them for use, which means parents, other major care givers, and supportive businesses will have to come up with the funds to help schools with the purchase of these books. Not only should the schools have these books for use as textbooks, but individual students should have their own copy to help learn the material initially and to refresh key points as they complete Algebra II and beyond.

Danica also has web sites that provide additional information for each book. Check out [...]. If you wish to provide input to Danica, you may send it to her at: share@danicamckellar.com.
44 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2011
I bought this book so my daughter could review Algebra over the summer before starting Geometry. It helped her so much--especially the section on rate problems--in understating things she just didn't get when presented in class. Something I didn't expect though, was how helpful the book would be to me! Now when she needs help with math, I can review the book and get myself up to speed quickly so I can help her. The book is so well written and the explanations so full of common sense and clarity, that things I remember struggling with don't seem anywhere near as difficult as I remember. I highly recommend this book not only for girls, but also to parents who want something that can help them work more effectively with their kids!
on March 4, 2012
My son, an 8th grader, was struggling with some of the concepts in Algebra. Since I elected myself as chief homework reviewer, I had to understand it also. Not being in class with him, I had to rely on his textbook. The biggest issue were the "motion" problems. This book gives great examples and explains in layman terms how these problems get solved. As we continue with the year, I expect to use it often. I have tried others, but this is by far the best. Maybe she'll do a book on Algebra II.
on August 29, 2010
Another great resource for any educator. I am a mathematics teacher with 30+ years experience. I have found Danica's book a great resource. I have used her previous books with several of my female students and males also. Danica proves once again it is ok to be pretty and smart and she does this very well. She presents math topics with clarity. She also touches topics that are not math but that relate to teenagers in Algebra.
on August 19, 2012
I picked this book up to review algebra concepts before I go on to finish my degree that I have been
working on forever part time while working. Math has always been a challenge for me but I will need to work
my way through all of these courses through calculus eventually. Algebra is also a great skill to keep up with because
it crops up in all sciences ( computer, health sciences, architecture, engineering etc....) and is a great foundation for higher level math.
I am working my way through this book a chapter a week and the author is a wonderful teacher.
I wish Danica's books had been around when I started college.
They are geared for teenage girls which is a great concept but the teaching methods are great for any sex and any age.
I am looking forward to working my way through all her books as she progresses into more advanced topics.
Learning is a lifelong experience and it is never too late to learn any subject.
Being a great teacher and passing on knowledge and a thirst for learning is a great legacy for Danica.
I am sure she has a wonderful future as a mathematician and educator still to be written. She is an
academic with a big heart and truly wants to see people learn.
She is a wonderful role model for anyone at any age. Thank you for writing these great books.
They are a great contribution to the world.
on November 21, 2013
I bought this for myself so I could help my daughter with her algebra. It is written in GIRL, with some magazine style quizzes and lots of text in boxes, so the pages are interesting to look at regardless of how you feel about algebra. My daughter has a B- in the class and sometimes she asks me to help her. And I can!
on February 21, 2015
Well, it's all pretty much been said in the other 90 reviews, so here's a different view:

Last year, I taught Algebra out of the textbook. It is an excellent textbook... If the reader already has familiarity with the subject. This year, I downgraded the textbook's position, it is no longer the backbone. I use this book as the roadmap for my class. The information is presented in a logical manner without a bunch of irrelevant things mixed in. It makes sense. I write my lectures from it, creating "gender balanced" examples. Our boys don't care about broken nails, we're lucky if we can get them to stop hunting long enough to sit in math class. Throw out a few examples about trajectory and speed of a round, and they perk right up...

Yes, it is more work to teach this way. No, it is not prepackaged with tons of examples for classwork. However, am I more successful as a teacher in conveying the information in an comperhensible interesting manner? You bet! Does it keep the pace of the class moving? Yep! Two reasons -- The students actually "get" the math, and it is more logical in the presentation order.
on September 22, 2010
My daughter, 11, enjoyed "Kiss My Math" and said it really helped explain things in "girl terms". We are excited that Danica McKellar has written this next book - she is fantastic and presents the material in a fun, understandable fashion. Hope she continues her series!