5.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfection
Published on April 10, 2004 by Twitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty dull
With the exception of track 7, this isn't a very good offering. Noisecore/metalcore/whatever you want to call it was at one time a very interesting genre full of potential. But inevitably it became oversaturated with carbon copy bands, same as any other music style. It's just not fun anymore.
Check out Botch instead.
Published on March 14, 2004 by Rob Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfection, April 10, 2004
Twitch (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
Every Time I Die is just one of those bands that come around and surprise the he ll out of all of us and make us fall in love with them imediately. It is very hard to describe this album; all that can be said is it takes hardcore and metal and redefines alternative, and believe me 'Hot Damn' takes alternative to a whole new level. First off, the lyrics and vocal patterns are pretty much on a level of their own. Both sarcastic and socio-politically charged lyrics are but out into a form that I really can't say that I've heard before. Just listen to the lyrics, you'll get what I'm saying. Second the guitar work is not exactly your average three chord neo hardcore attack. Though at first glance it may not seem exactly heavy enough for the normal blastbeat craving metal fan (um...myself included), but how original the riffs are just makes it stick into your head for days and days (see the Zeplin type riffs in "I Been Gone a Long Time"). This album oozes originality in every aspect. Perhaps I haven't expressed this album in an easy enough way; long story short fans of The Bronx, Hatebreed, and the like cannot go wrong with picking up 'Hot Damn' and should be weary of the existence of Every Time I Die, because I guarentee you, they will be making more and more waves as time goes on.

5.0 out of 5 stars loss for words, August 25, 2003
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
definetely the greatest hardcore album made in a long time.Every song on the cd made me want to grab someone close to me and snap their neck.The music is so brutal i just wanted to start a mosh pit everytime i hear it.The time signatures are awesome and powerful. Everytime i die are destined to be legends and this cd proves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot damn is right, May 6, 2007
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
This is the kind of hardcore that is above scene politics. It's too loud and raw for those who fish from the mainstream, but I honestly can't see how someone can listen to this entire album and not be impressed. The guitar riffs are not typical in the least and the drums keep your adrenaline rush going. You simultaneously want to dance and slam your fist into something hard. It's rock with a dirty South slap. Keith Buckley's yell-singing makes him sound like he's about to lose consciousness, but his lyrics make it clear that he's far from incoherent. In fact, he sounds like quite the intellectual. I've had the pleasure of seeing Every Time I Die live twice, and boy is it a sight to behold. You feel brutalized, but you love it. "Ebolarama" is a crowd favorite, it really gets the mosh pit going. "I Been Gone a Long Time" sounds like something you'd find playing in a dark, dirty bar serving clientèle of a questionable nature. "Off Broadway" has some of the most interesting lyrics I've heard. Every Time I Die are not just a band, they're an experience. And this album fully embodies that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard and reckless music at its finest, May 30, 2004
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this album, I didn't like it, in fact I thought it sucked but let me tell you that it all changed when I saw these guys live. I saw them live with As I Lay Dying, The Black Dahlia Murder and Scarlet, but all of these bands besides Scarlet(who were the openers and were pretty bad) are vastly different, with Black Dahlia being death metal and As I Lay Dying being metalcore. After As I Lay Dying got off the stage, I took a seat in the back of the place and stood by preparing for a sleeper show, by god I should have been in the pit, rippin it up. The crowd went totally nuts for these guys and rightfully so. The aggression and pure fun in their performance was totally awesome. The album itself retains these properties and those who do not have fun listening to their heavy music should stay away from this one, cuz it is downright fun. I don't take the lyrics seriously but they are cool to sing along to and provide great release and the singer's vocal style grows on you. It takes at least two listens to this short but sweet album and it then falls into place. Great just hard music, not metal, not hardcore(besides the vocals) but just hard, in the veins of Guns n Roses. The best part of the show by the way was when the singer took out a cowbell to finish 'I Been Gone a Long Time', it was glorious....Seriously, anyone who enjoys fun and hard/heavy music give these guys a chance, at least download some songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT DAMN!!!!, July 1, 2004
Bruce Campbell "destroyer_of_false_metal" ((Borrowed that from Shadows Fall, one of the greatest bands to ever set foot on this earth)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
Personally, this is my favorite release of 2003. Not just hardcore, metal, whatever, this is the best of the best. At first it seemend kind of repitive, so i was annoyed, since i bought it on an impulse with Atreyu's SNABK. After a couple listens, my wiewpoint drastically changed. I began to listen to the lyrics and the guitar and the lead singer's distinct voice, and i realized that this was no ordinary band or CD. It instantly became a classic and one of my all time favorite. The lyrics are amazing, the best. You need to just put the CD on and open up the lyric book and read them yourself, and then you'll undersatnd. The CD may only be 30 mins long, but who cares, with standout tracks like "Romeo A Go-Go", "Off Broadway", the amazing "Hit of the Search Party", and my favorite on the CD and one of my favorite of all time "Ebolarama". Also, if you get the version with carboard outside, prepare for qutie a suprise underneath that wrapping. "This is a Rock and Roll Takeover" and Every Time I Die is leading the way.
Infinity/10 - One of the best CDs ever made.
P.S. - Atreyu's SNABK was also amazing and worth cheking out. I just picked up "The Curse" and that really good too. Another band worth checking out. There both playing the side stage at Ozzfest, so check them out!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only make it make you want to want me, July 19, 2005
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
fast, loud, a couple of drinks and a cowbell. this is a damn good cd even if you are a gay.

5.0 out of 5 stars the title fits..., August 7, 2003
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
It doesn't need to be said that ETID is one of the top bands in hardcore at the moment... and whoever said metalcore, please. This is far from. "Hot Damn!" is near-perfection as far as hardcore goes. It sounds alot more professional and clearer than "Last Night..." but then it isn't over-produced either. All of the songs have good flow, and if at first-listen some songs seem the same, after listening to the cd for a while, each song develops their own feel. The lryics are easier to follow along with than "Last Night..." - but there's still a few moments. Musically, most of the songs are fast and diverse with different timing everywhere, and who couldn't love the southern rock breakdown in "I Been Gone A Long Time?" Although the album artwork can leave some wanting more, I feel it suites the music and feel to the album well. And the best part? These songs are un-beatable live! If you're new to hardcore, wanting to try out hardcore to see if it's your thing, or just wanting to listen to some great technical and energetic music, give "Hot Damn!" a listen and see if you're not blown away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Prediction: Best Hardcore Album of 2003, July 20, 2003
B. Patterson (Church of Christ City, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
I may be jumping the gun when I say this, but "Hot Damn" is the BEST hardcore album that will be released in 2003. I know, there are a lot of albums left to be released, including the new Nora and new Most Precious Blood cd's, but for now, I'm going with ETID. This cd was released at kind of a bad time, too. It came out around the same time as the new Poison the Well and Blood Has Been Shed cds, both of which received some well-deserved heavy attention.
Moving along, I bought this cd without even hearing it. I think I heard a 30 second clip of one song, and at the time I probably said "It's O.K". Well, I have a tendency to change my mind, so I decided to buy the cd. I listened to it once, and liked it. I listened to it again, and I loved it. Now, I don't want to listen to anything else. I could probably listen to the cd about 100 times in a row and I wouldn't get tired of it. The guitar work is pretty crazy. Some parts remind me of Dillinger Escape Plan, which is very cool. There is a lot of technical stuff on this record. The heavy parts are beyond heavy, too. The vocals are cool. Nice screaming and yelling, and some cool singing, too. About the singing, it isn't the best singing in the world, but it fits the music and I think it adds character to the songs. The lyrics are not whiny, either. Most of the songs have abstract lyrics that may take a few readings to make sense of, but thats cool. Plus, with lines like "the Greatest Lovers Were Murderers First," how can you go wrong? This cd is for fans of pretty much all the different kinds of hardcore. So go buy it, and enjoy yourself. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Metalcore SHOULD Be, July 18, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
If you're into metalcore or think you might like to try it, this should be in your library and never leave your CD player. This could be the best CD of the year, across many genres, and sets a standard that Poisen the Well and Dillinger Escape Plane will be pressured to rise to. Vocals have become professional since Last Night in Town, guitar work is amazing, drums and bass are perfect. Lyrics are unlike anything else on CD anywhere. A great release from the metalcore capital of the world, Buffalo NY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very refreshing., February 16, 2005
This review is from: Hot Damn (Audio CD)
This is an incredibly fun and entertaining piece of work. Not quite as chaotically heavy as "Last Night In Town," but a more focused and coherent album overall. Keith's sarcastic lyrics go perfectly hand-in-hand with his frantic delivery, which somewhat sacrifices some of the abrasiveness of "Last Night In Town" in favour of a slightly clearer sound. The same can be said for Jordan and Andy's guitar work, which sets more of a "rock-n'-roll" tone to this album than was present on the last (check out most of the riffs in "I Been Gone A Long Time," for example). The rhythm section has also been tempered, with Novak's drumming setting the pace effectively through frenetic rolls and breakdowns in songs like the opener, "Romeo A Go-Go," but it's also equally fitting when slowed down in the droning, ominous instrumental, "In The Event That Everything Should Go Terribly Wrong."

That said, "Hot Damn!" is still a fairly heavy record. Clocking in at just over 27 minutes, it's also fast, especially considering the abundance of lyrical content. It's the combination of the song structures' speed and brevity with Keith's descriptive and witty lyrical charm that really sets the mood and makes "Hot Damn!" shine as something original and interesting. Thus, it's one of the few albums I've never gotten tired of listening to over the past year. I only wish I'd looked for it sooner.

Pick this one up.

Hot Damn
Hot Damn by Every Time I Die (Audio CD - 2003)