Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz.
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on June 24, 2011
Recently, after speaking with the owner of a local Chinese restaurant, I inquired about their outrageously HOT mustard served only upon request. I was curious to find out if and where I could purchase this condiment to enjoy at home. The owner explained that the mustard was prepared daily from a powder simply mixed with water to the desired consistency. Having been repeatedly disappointed with the mainstream bottled grocery varieties labelled as "hot", a little online research certainly paid off! This ISN'T that lame packet mustard you commonly find in the bottom of your take out bag. S&B oriental mustard ROCKS!

PROS:

* Nice 3oz quantity for personal home use for dipping, sauces, etc. [A little will go a very long way]
* Sturdy and airtight canister for storage
* "Scald Your Sinuses Hot" [Assuming you enjoy this trait--sure hope you do]
* Flexibility to freshly prepare only the amount needed at a given time--prepared mustard will lose potency/heat if stored over time.

CONS:

* Powder should be handled with care--seriously potent and cannot imagine getting powder directly into eyes, cuts, etc. Children and novices beware!

Would certainly recommend to any and all of those folks [you know who you are] like myself who derive pleasure from a truly HOT mustard for dipping, egg rolls, spicy Chex mix, and other creative recipe ideas. CANNOT BEAT IT! :)
on March 7, 2013
This stuff is so potent that you won't want to eat a whole lot at any one time. In fact the first time I mixed it I about burned my eyeballs out of my head. My recipe calls for a 1/4 tsp along with 6 tsp vinegar, 3 tblsp water & 5 tsp sugar. Now I know what the can says about just mixing with water. But the real taste only comes out with the vinegar. In fact it increases the tang so much that you can use very much less with the same depth of flavor. I read somewhere a while back that vinegar is used to preserve the heat in mustard and is commonly used in chinese and thai mustard sauces. The sugar neutralizes the vinegar taste. You might try it both ways but I think you'll recognize the taste you get in a chinese restaurant once you use the recipe above. I've tried it both ways and I would never use this product again without the vinegar recipe. If you want to thicken it use a 1/2 tsp corn starch, but I like mine thinner. The local Japanese steakhouse uses this too for their dipping sauce in a much more diluted recipe with all the ingredients in the recipe I included above. There is no substitute for the real thing. And this is the real thing.
on August 13, 2007
The best thing about this hot mustard other than the taste is that there are no preservatives or fillers, it's just straight mustard and turmeric. Another great thing is that it's a powder that can be mixed with other sauces like soy, teriyaki, mayonnaise, you name it! whatever you want! This mustard is HOT! be careful because it will blow your nose membranes to china! unless you already live there :D WANH WANH WAAANH! seriously though, this hot mustard is king!
on June 27, 2012
You know what "normal" yellow mustard tastes like. S&B hot mustard ain't that. This is a dry powder you mix with water and allow to sit a minute or two to develop the full flavor.
And by flavor I mean an all out assault on your nasal passages (especially if you try too much!). It's kinda like English mustard but even more intense. (I am sure this mustard will play a lead role in "The Expendables 3").
Anyway this mustard smells/tastes similar to the little packets of hot mustard you get at Chinese restaurants but with much more WAHOO!
If you haven't been scared off yet I recommend trying it. If you do find it is too hot you need to either go back to the temple and retrain OR you could try diluting it with ketchup, soy sauce, or even your own tears.
The little tin should last a long time since you don't need a whole lot (I would say following the instructions on the tin will make too much).
I hope you find this review useful!
on April 12, 2012
Despite my constant polite reminders, when making deliveries, my favorite Chinese-food restaurant often fails to include hot yellow mustard to compliment the sweet and sour sauce that typically comes with egg rolls and other side dishes. I'd tried several bottled mustard products, looking for something comparable to what I've had in Chinese restaurants, and found all of them disappointing. After doing some further research, I learned that when exposed to water, the intense chemicals which give hot mustard its spice begins to break down almost immediately, although refrigeration can delay that process. So I ordered this S&B Oriental Hot Mustard powder, which comes in a small tin with a traditional pry-off lid (under which was a modern vacuum-sealed foil/plastic liner).

As I write this review, my sinus cavities are nicely cleared, and my tummy is nicely full of nicely spiced, digesting egg roll: This is the real deal, and it has a serious kick to it. I thought it would be inconvenient as compared to a bottled (pre-mixed) product, but this is just dirt simple -- or perhaps I should say, "mud simple": a little powder mixed with just enough cold water to moisten it, and you can smell this stuff start to react. Within moments, and certainly well before my egg rolls had begun to cool, I had a mustard paste that looked and tasted exactly like what I like to find in those condiment pots on the tables of traditional Chinese restaurants.
on March 6, 2011
I used to buy this product in the grocery store until they stopped carrying it. We have tried so many different brands of Oriental hot mustard and never found one that we liked, but they were available in the grocery store. Their quality never came close to the S&B brand. I decided to look online for the S&B brand and found it here. I will continue to purchase the S&B brand and no longer experiment with other brands. We both think there is no comparison for the taste and consistency.
on June 17, 2014
I've tried several brands of prepared, so-called hot mustard like you find in Chinese restaurants but was never really satisfied. Then, I saw this one and based on the reviews I figured I'd give it a try.

I mixed up my first batch last night and set the small bowl on the counter. After about 4 minutes, I went over to check it's progress and as I bent over to look closer, that familiar smell of real "heat" went right into my sinuses; and my eyes. Figured I was on to something so I left it for a full 10 minutes.

I like to mix together hot mustard with a plum sauce and I put in the typical amount of mustard I was used to. Well, the first bite of my eggroll with my new sauce mix immediately gave me that sinus-opening bang I'd searched for all this time. Made my evening, as at last my search for a truly hot mustard like in the restaurants was over.

This size can should last me quite a while. It's about the size of the small cans of paint you see in a hardware store. I figure I'd probably use about 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon of the mustard powder for each batch in the future. The directions called for a mustard-to-water ratio of 2-to-3, but I found it was a bit too thick. I ended up using a bit more water to roughly a 2-to-4 ratio, to get the thinner consistency I wanted.

So, if you're looking for a truly hot, good mustard like the Chinese restaurants serve; look no further. Just buy it, and enjoy.
VINE VOICEon April 30, 2015
Good Chinese mustard powder is hard to find. I always used Dynasty but turned to Amazon when I realized I was going to have to drive about 20 miles to an Asian market to buy it. (I wasted money on a few prepared Chinese mustards, by the way - they all just tasted like slightly hot regular mustard and that's wrong, wrong, wrong!

I found Dynasty here on Amazon but read reviews and decided to try S&B instead. I'm so glad I did. It's absolutely heavenly. When I mix it up I usually end up inhaling the fragrance a few times - it clears the sinuses and smells wonderful. But the taste - it is the best I've ever had. Dynasty's tastes more like what you get in Chinese eateries - and I like it - but S&B is full and rich. But don't use too much because it will throw your mouth and sinuses into shock as quickly as fresh horseraddish can. In other words, it hurts so good.

Highly highly recommended!
on October 7, 2012
If you've ever kept those extra mustard packets that came with your chinese take-out, only to find out they now look more brown then yellow and taste nothing like they used to, S&B Hot Mustard Powder will save the day. Unlike mustard pastes or packets, powder retains its freshness longer and will not spoil readily. It is easily incorporated into dishes as a seasoning or made into a paste as an egg-roll condiment. If you like fresh tasting hot mustard, this is the product for you.
on February 14, 2013
This is very good hot mustard & lends itself to adding honey or other ingredients to modify the flavor. I make small quantities & it's as good as anything available in restaurants and it is indeed hot.