5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Potent :)
Published on June 24, 2011 by Biopharma

2.0 out of 5 stars Tastes like wasabi
Bought two cans. They tasted zero percent like mustard and 100% like wasabi, only yellow. Not a big fan of wasabi though, so I didn't like this very much.
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Potent :), June 24, 2011
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
Recently, after speaking with the owner of a local Chinese restaurant, I inquired about their outrageously HOT mustard served only upon request. I was curious to find out if and where I could purchase this condiment to enjoy at home. The owner explained that the mustard was prepared daily from a powder simply mixed with water to the desired consistency. Having been repeatedly disappointed with the mainstream bottled grocery varieties labelled as "hot", a little online research certainly paid off! This ISN'T that lame packet mustard you commonly find in the bottom of your take out bag. S&B oriental mustard ROCKS!

PROS:

* Nice 3oz quantity for personal home use for dipping, sauces, etc. [A little will go a very long way]
* Sturdy and airtight canister for storage
* "Scald Your Sinuses Hot" [Assuming you enjoy this trait--sure hope you do]
* Flexibility to freshly prepare only the amount needed at a given time--prepared mustard will lose potency/heat if stored over time.

CONS:

* Powder should be handled with care--seriously potent and cannot imagine getting powder directly into eyes, cuts, etc. Children and novices beware!

Would certainly recommend to any and all of those folks [you know who you are] like myself who derive pleasure from a truly HOT mustard for dipping, egg rolls, spicy Chex mix, and other creative recipe ideas. CANNOT BEAT IT! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This hot mustard is friggin' awesome!, August 13, 2007
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
The best thing about this hot mustard other than the taste is that there are no preservatives or fillers, it's just straight mustard and turmeric. Another great thing is that it's a powder that can be mixed with other sauces like soy, teriyaki, mayonnaise, you name it! whatever you want! This mustard is HOT! be careful because it will blow your nose membranes to china! unless you already live there :D WANH WANH WAAANH! seriously though, this hot mustard is king!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chinese mustard, March 6, 2011
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
I used to buy this product in the grocery store until they stopped carrying it. We have tried so many different brands of Oriental hot mustard and never found one that we liked, but they were available in the grocery store. Their quality never came close to the S&B brand. I decided to look online for the S&B brand and found it here. I will continue to purchase the S&B brand and no longer experiment with other brands. We both think there is no comparison for the taste and consistency.

5.0 out of 5 stars GENUINE. THE REAL THING. BEST EVER., March 7, 2013
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
This stuff is so potent that you won't want to eat a whole lot at any one time. In fact the first time I mixed it I about burned my eyeballs out of my head. My recipe calls for a 1/4 tsp along with 6 tsp vinegar, 3 tblsp water & 5 tsp sugar. Now I know what the can says about just mixing with water. But the real taste only comes out with the vinegar. In fact it increases the tang so much that you can use very much less with the same depth of flavor. I read somewhere a while back that vinegar is used to preserve the heat in mustard and is commonly used in chinese and thai mustard sauces. The sugar neutralizes the vinegar taste. You might try it both ways but I think you'll recognize the taste you get in a chinese restaurant once you use the recipe above. I've tried it both ways and I would never use this product again without the vinegar recipe. If you want to thicken it use a 1/2 tsp corn starch, but I like mine thinner. The local Japanese steakhouse uses this too for their dipping sauce in a much more diluted recipe with all the ingredients in the recipe I included above. There is no substitute for the real thing. And this is the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like C4 explosive if not treated with respect!, June 27, 2012
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
You know what "normal" yellow mustard tastes like. S&B hot mustard ain't that. This is a dry powder you mix with water and allow to sit a minute or two to develop the full flavor.
And by flavor I mean an all out assault on your nasal passages (especially if you try too much!). It's kinda like English mustard but even more intense. (I am sure this mustard will play a lead role in "The Expendables 3").
Anyway this mustard smells/tastes similar to the little packets of hot mustard you get at Chinese restaurants but with much more WAHOO!
If you haven't been scared off yet I recommend trying it. If you do find it is too hot you need to either go back to the temple and retrain OR you could try diluting it with ketchup, soy sauce, or even your own tears.
The little tin should last a long time since you don't need a whole lot (I would say following the instructions on the tin will make too much).
I hope you find this review useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the hot mustard I love in Chinese restaurants, April 12, 2012
William J. Dyer (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
Despite my constant polite reminders, when making deliveries, my favorite Chinese-food restaurant often fails to include hot yellow mustard to compliment the sweet and sour sauce that typically comes with egg rolls and other side dishes. I'd tried several bottled mustard products, looking for something comparable to what I've had in Chinese restaurants, and found all of them disappointing. After doing some further research, I learned that when exposed to water, the intense chemicals which give hot mustard its spice begins to break down almost immediately, although refrigeration can delay that process. So I ordered this S&B Oriental Hot Mustard powder, which comes in a small tin with a traditional pry-off lid (under which was a modern vacuum-sealed foil/plastic liner).

As I write this review, my sinus cavities are nicely cleared, and my tummy is nicely full of nicely spiced, digesting egg roll: This is the real deal, and it has a serious kick to it. I thought it would be inconvenient as compared to a bottled (pre-mixed) product, but this is just dirt simple -- or perhaps I should say, "mud simple": a little powder mixed with just enough cold water to moisten it, and you can smell this stuff start to react. Within moments, and certainly well before my egg rolls had begun to cool, I had a mustard paste that looked and tasted exactly like what I like to find in those condiment pots on the tables of traditional Chinese restaurants.

4.0 out of 5 stars S&B Hot Mustard Powder, October 21, 2012
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
Received this item promptly and was very pleased to get it. The mustard is good and hot. Directions say to use cold water to mix, but I used warm water from a tea kettle that had cooled and the results were very good with no lumping. It isn't mustard if it's not hot! The only thing I was concerned about was that there was no ingredient label and as I have diet limitations I wasn't really sure what it contained other than ground mustard seed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is great!, March 19, 2013
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
It has been awhile since I could get my hands on any Chinese Hot Mustard. They just dont have it here. So I was a bit skeptical that this powder would do the trick, but it sure delivers! The can is smaller than I was expecting, but a little goes a looong way. two teaspoons of mustard powder to 3 teaspoons of water, mix and you are all set to dip egg rolls, dumplings and anything else you desire! I add just a touch of olive oil for a bit of creaminess. Excellent product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Repeat buyer, February 14, 2013
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
This is very good hot mustard & lends itself to adding honey or other ingredients to modify the flavor. I make small quantities & it's as good as anything available in restaurants and it is indeed hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!!, December 22, 2012
This review is from: S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz. (Misc.)
This stuff should come with an ambulance!!....the smallest bit can/will bring a grown man to his knees.The scary part is,I can't stop eating it.It tastes just like the stuff you get in restuarants...but I think it's several times hotter.

S&B - Hot Mustard Powder 3.0 Oz.
$7.91