Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Color: Yellow|Change

on May 23, 2013
On first use, I put in a full cup of popcorn, which is what the printed instructions said (it seemed like a lot) only to have the popper start smoking. I shut it off, took the popcorn out, and noticed that the rim of the popper said not to use more than 1/2 C. I took out 1/2 the popcorn, and it was fine. Basically a full 1 Cup was just too much weight. That's fine, but for those of us who read the manual first, it's a pretty major misprint.

Once we fixed that issue, though, the popper was fast, the popcorn is good, and there were very few unpopped kernels.
22 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
I love this popper. It's my 2nd in 2 years and I will continue to buy them for as long as needed. The last one had to be replaced because our moving company was not so graceful in packing... different story for another time. This popper is quick and efficient and never fails to produce awesome popcorn ever time!

Like like some have said in their negative reviews, kernels may go flying all over the place if you're not careful. This situation is actually *very* avoidable. Please pay attention to the -size- of the kernels you purchase. Cheap, generic brands generally yield a cheap, generic kernel that is rather small and very light. These undersized kernels will ride around in the air designed to push the popped corn out of the chute and fly right out because they don't have enough heft to fall back down. Once the kernels pop, the heavier kernels have more surface volume and can then easily ride the air out of the chute.

Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. Grab a generic bag of kernels and a bag of more quality kernels and compare the two. You'll be able to see a difference in the size and uniformity between the two.
44 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2013
Measured 1/2 cup of Orville Redenbacher Popcorn, put the measuring lid back in place and plugged in the machine. I stood off to the side to make sure no unpopped corn did not land on me. Only one kernel popped out that didn't land in the bowl. And that little guy was the only one that did not pop! I ended up with a HUGE bowl of popcorn so be sure to use the biggest bowl you've got unless you use less than 1/2 cup. If you buy the reliable Orville popcorn, 1/4 to 1/3 cup is plenty for one person. If you're starving, measure out the entire 1/2 cup and pig out!
22 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2013
So inexpensive, yet works great...pops kernels quickly and doesn't leave many kernels behind. :-). I highly recommend this popcorn popper--great value
on January 30, 2014
We got our Popcorn popper for Christmas this past year (2013). We used it on average 4-5x per week. The popcorn always came out great with only 5-6 unpopped kernels, but just last week the blower burned out and the kernels got burned. I contacted the company who sold it through Amazon.com (Tommy Discount) over the phone and because there is a one year warranty they shipped me a new one without question. So I would rank the popper machine as 3 stars but Tommy Discount's customer service definitely gets 5 stars!
on November 13, 2013
Great little hot air popper! Popcorn is tasty and so light. One thing I don't like is that it has no on/off switch so you just simply plug in and pull the plug when it's done, seeing that disconcerting little arc inside the switch. :-(
on August 20, 2012
I use very tiny popcorn, the dark red healthy kind. This popper pops almost every kernel, and doesn't blow too many out early. Recommended.

UPDATE: 7 months later, and it still works great. Plus, I've begun to overload it so I can get bigger batches of popcorn out of it.

I just brought popcorn to a movie night at the university yesterday and it was a big hit. I don't just put butter on, I use:

Olive oil
Butter
Macadamia nut oil
Walnut oil

I also like to sprinkle on cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, and sometimes hot Indian pepper powder! Makes a great and healthy snack. Note that the oils are extra virgin and unheated, since the popper air pops the popcorn.
on February 11, 2013
I bought 2 each, Popcorn Poppers, of the Hot Air variety in the $20.00 price range in the past month.

both begain smoking and "burnt up" the very first time I put Popcorn in them. No kidding!

So this time I got serious, forgetting the big box stores and their cheap products.

I took a chance on the Great Northern model, paid the shipping and ....Guess What? It works great, flawlessly.

The popcorn is better than any I have ever tasted.

Also, I would like to share my experience with Popcorn Brands.

(A) Orville Redenbacher "gourmet" has a stale odor, right out of the jar.

(B) The "lower end" brands including Jolly Time and the "Great Value" brand from Walmart, both smell nice right out of the jar, and pop better.

I always heat up a little corn oil and add a little butter to it to pour on my popcorn. Then I salt it.

It's a great food!

on May 7, 2013
I really like this popper. We had one years ago but it eventually burned out after several years of use. Since we wanted a healthy movie watching snack this popper fills the bill. It's quick and fully pops most of the kernels I'm left with one complaint; when adding the kernels to the running machine kernels fly out of the popper. When it's running they fly out of the back, when I turn it off to add the kernels, they fly out of the front.

I've solved the problem as it's the same problem that we had with the one we had a few decades ago. Solution: Tilt the popper back. It's still a little difficult to pour the kernels into the the machine while it's running but it can be done. I put a wedge under the front that lifts it about an inch and a half. I then wait until the popping corn fills the barrel but is not coming out of the spout. I then remove the wedge and allow the popped corn to fill the waiting bowl. I'm surprised that the same problem exists after so many years of manufacturing this product. But hey, it works.
on November 9, 2013
I purchased this popper on Sept. 12, 2013. On November 9, 2013 I started a batch to popping and after about 30 seconds it burned out completely. Gave up the ghost and started smoking.

I was mildly annoyed with this popper already because it has no on/off switch. The only way to turn it on and off is to push the plug in to the socket, then pull it out when finished. Which of course arcs every time when you do that, and it can't be good for the unit, much less the wiring.

It popped OK until it didn't, although it would consistently throw at least half a dozen kernels out of the shoot before popping began. I'm not sure if that is common to all air poppers though.

I like the bright red with black trim. Makes it look festive and more like a popcorn machine than the more commonly offered white. But what good are looks if it stops popping after two months?

Amazon would have stood behind the product if it proved defective within 30 days, but at this point I've long since thrown out the box, and for a $20 product, I'm not going to hassle with a warranty. Yeah, maybe I got a bad one in the batch. It happens. But a company who doesn't care to spend another $1 to install a power switch probably economized on other components as well. I'll get another brand thanks.