5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to round out the eighties.
Published on June 28, 2001 by raystrop

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Great Songs, But An Inconsitent Album
Published on April 18, 2000 by Erik Rupp

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Great Songs, But An Inconsitent Album, April 18, 2000
Erik Rupp (Southern California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
Hot In The Shade marks the end of an era for KISS. It was the last album featuring the late, great, Eric Carr on drums, and it was the last album where "pop" Metal tunes were in the majority. HITS boasts some of KISS' best material in songs such as "Rise To It" (a classic KISS stomper very similar to their 70's material), "Betrayed" (the son of "Deuce"), "Hide Your Heart" (written for Crazy Nights, and would have been a standout track on that album), the top 10 hit "Forever" (one of the best "power ballads" ever), and "Silver Spoon" (Paul's nod to latter-day Aerosmith). Plenty of solid but unspectacular tracks such as "Prisoner Of Love," "Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell," and "Little Caesar" (Eric Carr's vocal debut on one of his own songs) fill out the album. There are also a couple of tracks that should have been left off of the album simply because they were nowhere near the caliber that warrants inclusion on a KISS album. Those songs include "Read My Body" (a poor attempt at cloning Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me," with a rather stiff rap verse from Paul), and "Cadillac Dreams" (a rather un-KISS-like shuffle). Gene's "The Street Giveth And The Street Taketh Away" is another standout track (giving just a little tip of the hat to Guns N Roses), as is "Boomerang," another fast and furious tune driven hard by Eric. All in all a truly mixed bag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Wrong Here....., March 4, 2005
Daniel Pinto (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
HITS is one of the better non makeup Kiss albums. With 15 tracks total, there was bound to be a little filler, so I can deal with the occasional clinker. HITS comes off as an album of Demos and unfinished songs, it is what it is, and at times its very good. Its not nearly as wimpy as some of the other 80's releases, and at the time when it came out, was actually a breath of fresh air for Die hard makeup era Kiss fans, as some of the songs where tougher and not just Bon Jovi type knock offs.

Regarding the songs themselves, they are allover the place, so many different styles, and basiclly non produced, the sound is very raw and unpolished on a lot of tracks, but this is part of the albums charm. "Love is Like A SlapIn The Face" does not have one drum fill or cymbal hit in the entire song, it could very well be a drum machine or better yet, Gene on the drums as he played in many of his demos anyway. A lot of Gene on guitar as well of the other demo songs included. "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell" is a good example.

Hide Your Heart was a Crazy Nights Throwaway. Many bands tried their hand at this one (Molly Hatchet as well as Ace on trouble Walkin), very Bon Jovi-ish. Prsoner of Love is Great! Betrayed & Rise To It are cool Kiss Songs! Silver Spoon has a great hook as well. Forever gave Kiss a much needed BIG HIT! Some very good material here....

Overall, HITS has a bum rap among Kiss fans, yet its much better than at least 3 of the Non Makeup albums (Personally, I feel its better than Revenge as well), and ranks as one of the FUN Kiss records. People ofter forget that it has one of their biggest if not the biggest hit in "Forever", which is a very cool song. It was a step in the right direction, following 3 of the wimpiest, weakest albums of their career. They toured with a huge stage show, and brought back some of the classic Kiss tunes in the process. I saw Eric's last concert at MSG in 11/90 as well.

I have great memories of this album, this is when I Finally accepted Kiss without the makeup, because the music is GOOD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to round out the eighties., June 28, 2001
"raystrop" (Columbia, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
I have been a Kiss fan since I was age five and have never lost my love for what this band stands for and the professionalism to which they bring their trade. I'm thirty now and sad to see them go. Hot in the Shade is their lengthiest studio album. While every song is not a classic, they all show solid musicianship and a great variety of rock styles. I love King of Hearts which would probably rank in my top ten favorite Kiss tunes. This is also the best album of my favorite line up of the band. I for one love Boomerang mainly for it's intensity and the killer playing by Eric Carr. The musicianship on this song is solid and I doubt anybody could have played it better. Read My Body and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell are not great songs, but good songs. A lot of Kiss's good songs are better than other bands' supposedly great songs and they hardly "stink." I like the seventies albums as well, but the improvements in musicianship in this era made Kiss the band that it always should have been. Not knocking Ace and Peter whose talents I also enjoy. By all means buy this album, but if you are closed minded and only like the original line-up then you will not appreciate this album for what it is: a great diverse body of music by a band that captures the essence of rock-n-roll regardless of who lend their talents to it. To Kiss, your legacy is solid and this album is a great contribution to a great catalog of music which is diverse, fun, risk taking, and ultimately satisfying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eric's Last, March 7, 2000
Brent Evans (Rockhampton, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
Fearing they where losing their hard rock followers,Kiss tried to toughen their pop sound on the release.Vini Ponica was at the mixing desk and all was right for a classic album.HOT IN THE SHADE shows a leaner,heavier Kiss that was not present in the days of ANIMALISE,ASYLUM,and CRAZY NIGHTS.Athough their are one of two duffers(READ MY BODY,PRISONER OF LOVE),the rest are Kiss Klassics,proving that the boys still retained a little of that seventies' magic.Eric provides vocals on his LITTLE CEASAR (co-written with Gene).Sadly,this was to become his last full album and tour with Kiss;many fans are still mourning the loss.This was the start of Kiss' rock redemption,which would be fully realised with REVENGE.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was awesome..., March 25, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
Although this album has taken a beating from some KISS fans, I really loved it. It has some really cool hooks in it and I loved the input that ERIC CARR had on the album, especially "Little Caesar." There are some obvious weak links on the album like "read my body" but I think that if people honestly listen to the album, they'll like it. My favs on the album: "Forever," "Little Caesar" and the one I can't get enough of; "Love me to Hate You!" I love the hooks in that song! Bruce has some brilliant input! END

5.0 out of 5 stars One HOT!!! CD, October 10, 2007
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
KISS lives up to the title and is smokin' HOT on this disc. Paul Stanley shows complete genius in his lyrics and music. Even 15 years later, I just can't consider this music as "old." CD arrived in original wrapping and delivery was as promised.

4.0 out of 5 stars itll hit you like....a boomeraaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnggggggg, July 16, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
this album wasnt all that great.but its good songs,were really good.Like Betrayed,Silver Spoons,the ever-classic Forever,Cadillac Dreams,Little Ceazar(the debu of Eric Carr's vocal stylings),and my favorite,Boomerang.Boomerang's guitar parts will blow you straight into hell.So overall,buy it for the goob stuff on it 'cause theres nothin like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving at first listen, it does get better over time., January 27, 2009
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
Ok, there are already DOZENS of reviews posted for HITS, so what are the chances anyone will read mine, let alone vote for it? Slim at best. But I don't care. HITS is not one of Kiss's standout albums, but I do like it, so here's my review.

At first listen, I was not impressed. In fact, I was pretty disappointed. Even after a couple of listens, I couldn't remember any of the songs except Hide Your Heart (which got alot of airplay as the first single) and Forever (because it was "the ballad" of the album). This led to me feel the album was a throwaway.

But I do love 90% of Kiss's music overall, so a few years later on a long car ride (about 36 hours round-trip), HITS was one of the tapes I decided to bring along. I figured I'd try to get more familiar with it. With 15 tracks, the album was huge for its time (released 20 years), so maybe I just needed more time with the songs. Well, surprisingly, alot of the songs did get my attention once I was able to sort them out in my head.

The opener, Rise To It, sounds like Bad Seamstress Blues from Cinderella's "Long Cold Winter" album...very bluegrass/hillbilly sounding intro. But after that, the song itself is actually pretty rockin'. I think its downright awesome with the alternating Paul/Gene vocals midway in. This is Paul's song, overall.

Other Paul songs I took to were Hide Your Heart (no big surprise) and King of Hearts. KoH just really rocks my socks off! Nice guitar work & Paul sings his heart out (no pun intended).

In general, though, I preferred Gene's songs on this album. Betrayed & Prisoner of Love seemed really inspired to me, like he took his time with them, more so than his Animalize & Asylum efforts. And I can't say why, but I could imagine him singing Love's A Slap In The Face in full Demon-costume during the Dynasty/Unmasked era.

It was also nice to finally hear Eric Carr sing an original song on a studio album. Little Caesar may not have been an instant classic on its own, but it was a good song overall. Just sad that he finally sings lead, and it turns out to be his final album before his untimely death due to cancer. (Ironically, Bruce Kulick would also finally sing lead vocal on his last Kiss album, Revenge. Thankfully, this was not due to death.)

So those are the standout songs from HITS in my opinion...Rise To It, Betrayed, Hide Your Heart, Prisoner Of Love, Love's A Slap In The Face, King Of Hearts, and Little Caesar. I liked Forever, too, but it got so much airplay I've grown bored with it. The rest of the songs...not horrible, not spectacular, just kind of there.

Hopefully, despite all the other reviews, someone will read my review, give those few tracks a re-listen, and find more enjoyment out of HITS than they originally had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock and Roll, May 3, 2006
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
Rockin and a rollin head banging to da wall, this is groovy music man and i loves it.Gives me a head ache but this music makes me go wild.And it drives me wild and drives me crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good non make-up era KISS album!!!!!, June 26, 2004
This review is from: Hot in the Shade (Audio CD)
This album is no Destroyer, Love Gun, or Alive!, but it is still a good KISS album! Best songs include:Rise To It,Hide your Heart,Siver Spoon,Forever,You Love me to Hate You,and King of Hearts.

Hot in the Shade
Hot in the Shade by Kiss (Audio CD - 1989)
Rate and Discover Movies