Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on August 3, 2012
I've been trying to decide if and what curling iron product to buy. I had heard good things about curling "wands" in general, i.e. the curling iron without the clip. I looked and heard great things about the CHI products, and I have one of their straightening irons. However, they are not budget-friendly, so I decided to give this one a try. I had heard good things about hot tools because of the temperature control. I LOVE this feature. It allows you to control the heat and helps keep you from getting burned. This curling wand, unlike some others, has a cool tip. This really prevents burning. I haven't burned myself yet, and I haven't used the glove. The tapered end gives versatility because you can create tighter curls or looser waves. It is definitely a looser look than a traditional curling iron. It creates waves more so than ringlets. If you are going for true ringlet curls, I would not suggest this product. It DOES give you a look that you see a lot of celebrities with--loose waves, great for layered hair.

BEST part--it's easy! I had heard there was a big learning curve with curling wands, but my first time using it was so easy! I am a low-maintenance hair person, so I've been looking for something that is faster and easier. It is very easy to use and to learn how to use, which I found surprising because it usually takes me longer. For example,I've been trying to curl my hair with the CHI straightener as many people do, but I have not been able to get it with practice. This curling iron gives a more similar look to what people achieve with a straightener who use it as a curling tool.

Glad I followed the other reviews and hope you do the same!
11 comment|183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2012
I would highly recommend this product if you are looking for something reasonably priced with great results. I have long hair that typically is very time consuming to style. This curling iron gets up to 400 degrees and I can have soft big waves in about 10 min or tight curls in about 25. Because there is no clamp- it doesn't fry the ends of my hair.
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2015
This is a great curling wand! I have thick hair and it doesn't take me that long to curl it with this wand. The curls also last and look amazing!
review image
on September 11, 2014
Bought this to bring waves into my hair when it falls flat. Great device to get the perfect curl for the windswept 'beachy' look, which is what I was going for. Works fast and so far haven't burnt my hand. Glove is provided, however, it will 'melt' if it comes in contact with barrel, but will protect hand from heat.
on December 10, 2015
I upgraded from a Con -Air curling iron from 2008, so the first time I used this wand I was all like:
Okay so my hair keeps slipping of the end of the wand. I hate this thing. IT'S HOT. Why is the cord so long? Oh. My looks fabulous. I LOVE THIS THING.
For real, though, it took a little getting used to. I wish the barrel was longer - my hair is fine, falls past my shoulders, and I kept having to reward the section of hair until I got a feel for how to hold the wand. (Hint, holding upside down worked for me, but I'm kind of known for doing things backwards). The heat setting goes past 400, but I set it to 380 and it works really well. I don't want to singe my hair, and I've read that too high of heat will turn your hair into frizz, kind of like those 90s trolls we grew up with. After using this wand three times now, I'll say what I like most is that my hair actually holds a curl. I thought it was my hair, but it seems the issue was that crappy curling iron I subjected my hair to for so many years. I would totally buy this again. 4 starts because I wish the Bartel was longer (maybe they make one. I don't care enough to go look because then I'll just be pissed I didn't see it before ordering this one). I'd include a photo but I'm Selfie challenged. Oh hell, maybe y'all could use a confidence booster (Damn, I thought MY selfies were bad. Check out THIS chick). Ignore the frizz. It's humid today. But you can see the back as well. I curled my hair in 2 layers.
review image
on July 17, 2012
Love this curling wand! Heats up quick and makes beautiful beach waves! Took a few days to feel comfortable holding it but now I use it almost everyday!
on April 6, 2015
This has transformed my hair routine! This is a long review but I rarely buy products that truly make a difference like this. I have thick, naturally curly hair that falls past my chest. I've typically just blow-dried smooth and put hot rollers, but my hair has gotten so long that they no longer stay in or give much of a curl anyway. I bought this wand after researching similar products around and have to say, it's put that smooth curl back in my hair! This is a really nice quality tool given the ceramic barrel, pop out stand and generously long cord.

If you don't look so great the first time, though, don't despair- I was honestly disappointed after my first use but it was only because I didn't understand how to use the tool correctly. You need to hold it a certain angle (Skinnier end facing down, not up) on each side to get the right curl, and just like any beauty technique takes some practice! There are plenty of Youtube tutorials on curling wands, even using this one specifically. I'd really encourage you to check them out and see how they hold it to get your bearings! It is a little confusing, especially since I never used a traditional curling iron before, either. Depending on the length of your hair you'll have to figure out what works for you. I also made the mistake of trying to do too large of sections. You want to do about an inch wide of sections and hold it for at least 8-10 seconds. Make sure that you are curling AWAY from your face.

My favorite thing is this is can really give you any look. If you want very soft waves, you can take larger sections and hold for less time. If you want Shirley Temple ringlets, take 1 inch sections and hold about 12 sec. It does everything I need and then some! I've even tried using it without blow drying my hair smooth (my natural hair is a fairly tight curl) and it really smoothed the frizz out. My go-to is to blow dry straight, do the tight ringlets, add a bit of Moroccan hair oil, and then gently brush the curls out with a flat brush. It gives me that perfect, smooth bouncy curl which I prefer and honestly lasts me 3 days easy! The 4th and 5th day I can rock a looser curly ponytail. Depending on the length of your hair you can really experiment with curl size since the barrel is so nicely tapered. I would also highly recommend using the included glove the first few times around. I no longer need it since I've figured out my hand placement, but I got cocky after a few tries and wound up with more than a few burns!

Hope this helped someone out. Really a great buy and would definitely consider Hot Tools for future purchases!
on July 7, 2012
Ladies, this is the secret! I have tried everything from sponge rollers to hot rollers to traditional curling irons of various barrel sizes. NOTHING gives my hair beautiful waves like this product. I have natural waves but they aren't very pretty. This curling iron allowed me to style my hair exactly like I have been wanting it to look for years. And they last! I did my hair last night before a night on the town, and then this morning it was still curly. I did a few touch ups before heading out to brunch with the girls but it took barely anytime. I recommend letting your hair dry naturally, or with a blowdryer for a bit and let it finish drying naturally. I did not use any products, only a touch of hairspray when I was finished. You can do large sections for big waves or little sections for tighter curls. I recommend this product to anyone who wants beautiful hair!
on December 6, 2011
this curling iron is super easy to use. my hair is really thin, fine, and straight but it will hold the curl for about 2 days. i don't even use hairspray. well worth the money!
on April 5, 2014
Love this curling iron! I honestly haven't bought a curling iron for many years, so I was hesitant about buying a new one. I am so glad I did! This gets hot super fast and the curl stays in my hair 2-3 days! It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it it's faster. I did a YouTube review and how to use tutorial if you want to see it in action. http://youtu.be/QtYV1cDwtz0