4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to build and play. Included car is not as pictured.
This track is a motorized hot wheels track that takes around 10-15 minutes to build.
I had my 1st grader help me and he could almost do all of it alone.

It takes 4 D batteries which are not included and you need a phillips head screwdriver to open the batter case.

Published 12 months ago by Sam Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard powered track - terrible iPad app
Published 11 months ago by D_Strasse

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to build and play. Included car is not as pictured., July 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had my 1st grader help me and he could almost do all of it alone.

The toy is very fun. The kids love playing it and the cars really jump. There are some levers to pull so the kids aren't just watching the cars go around. You can switch the track your cars go on with the two levers.

The only negative I can think of is that the car that the track came with looks NOTHING like the one on the box. It says colors and graphics may vary but it isn't even the same car at all. It still works but it's totally different.

If you found this review helpful please give it a thumbs up below. Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, but please be careful, August 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We LOVE Hotwheels. We probably have accumulated more than a hundred of them over the years and have I believe 7 different tracks and play sets for them. This is the first one for us that is battery powered (four D's) rather than kid powered. Personally I like my kids to have to move the cars themselves rather than just watch a toy go, but this one is really a lot of fun. The cars shoot around the track really fast, and fall off just often enough that you have to keep engaged with the toy, but not so often it's annoying.

While I would not call this toy dangerous by any means, we don't play with it right in front of the tv in case a car might fly off and scratch the screen. We don't let the kids put their face right next to the track so they don't get a Hotwheel in the eye. And please don't let your kids touch the spinning little wheels that send the cars around and around. Unfortunately my 3 year old daughter was curious and sneaked out a finger to touch one of the wheels. It did not pinch her but she got a nasty friction burn, her little finger tip turned red and she cried for ten minutes, and this is a kid who doesn't even cry at bloody skinned knees.

I'm giving the track four stars because it's super fun and we are enjoying it! I just wanted to share my safety concerns just in case they might be helpful in keeping your kids safe too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard powered track - terrible iPad app, July 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is your standard powered track. It is a little larger than most and includes a couple neat gimmicks as you can adjust the loop the cars run as one of three choices. This is done using two levers that are easy for a 4 or 5 year old to use. This type of toy is nothing new except for the unique ability to pair it with an iPad for some interactive fun. And that's where this set completely and utterly falls apart.

iPad interactivity requires you owning a full size iPad, version 2 or greater. The set comes with a stand that lines the camera up with a section of the track where two lanes cross. This allows the camera to show that section on the screen with some added graphics around it that the child can interact with. In order to choose which scene you are playing, you are supposed to read an included code card. When this system works my children were focusing more on it than on the track. Considering that a base track can lose a child's interest fairly quickly this isn't such a bad thing.

So how does the app work? Like I stated previously, it's completely broken. To start you are given 3 code cards called glyphs. These are supposed to match up with the options on the app. Problem is that two options are locked out being in app purchases (Yay!) and one of the glyph cards matches one of the locked out options. So you get 3 cards, but can only use 2 unless you buy one. That is just wrong. (Working cards are tornado and robot, locked card is Dinosaur. Finally there is an unlocked shark design in the app but no matching card in the set.)

Additionally, the app barely works with the unlocked cards. You are supposed to scan the card and then place the iPad into the cradle. Except moving the iPad after scanning the card kicks off the scanning procedure losing what you just chose. Very aggravating to be stuck in this useless cycle with the in-app instructions being completely useless. I got this to work once but couldn't repeat it.

In summary, the physical track works well enough, 4 stars, while the app works hard to get 1 star. Maybe Mattel will fix the app by the time you buy this, I just wouldn't count on it when deciding whether to purchase this set.

Additional Details:
* Easy to assemble though instructions aren't entirely clear.
* Requires 4 D batteries - not included. (I was surprised the set required so much power.)
* Comes with 4 stickers to apply.
* Philips head screwdriver needed to install batteries (but what child's toy doesn't.)
* Includes a single Hot Wheels car - might not be as pictured on the box. Ours wasn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speed, Loops and Mayhem - What More Could a Boy Want?, September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have not had a lot of luck with Hot Wheels tracks for several years - love the cars, but the tracks had always been overly-complicated and cheaply-constructed, a recipe for "none of the cool tricks work right." However, the Triple Track Twister fixes the problems of the past and delivers a lot of racing fun (along with a similar amount of noise).

Setup was not 100% easy, as the illustrations in the instructions were drawn from confusing angles and the labeling on the track pieces wasn't always easy to see. However, by keeping the box cover handy, we were all able to piece it together in about 30 minutes.

The track has a base station that accelerates the cars through one of three loops based on which combination of switches you set on the fly. Each of the paths works fine - no cars flying off into oblivion to stop the fun. Boys being boys, they immediately set out to alter the "right" way to play with the Triple Track Twister and starting loading more and more cars on simultaneously. This works for a while until there's the inevitable massive collision - to the complete delight! The track is very durable as well - despite numerous collisions, we've never had a coupling separate or any other fit issues. Note that the set uses 4 D batteries, so cost-to-operate can get steep over time. It also makes a lot of noise and there's no easy way to fold it up for storage, so plan on appropriate placement.

The iPad integration wasn't something that I was interested in using - kids get more than enough screen time as it is without shoe-horning it into other activities! I saw my two boys immediately begin developing and using their imagination with the Triple Track Twister (vs. being fed streaming content) so I didn't even show them that additional piece or let on that there's an app that goes with it.

The Triple Track Twister has surpassed our expectations for a modern Hot Wheels track, delivering a lot of fun and laughs for our two boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun powered car track, August 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 5 year old son really got into cars lately so this was a perfect gift for him.

Right out of the box, the ramp is relatively not easy to assemble. I build stuff all the time and the hot wheels car tracks are typically the worst items to assemble. Personally, I think the people at Mattel hate parents. But that's another story. So, assembly is sort of an adventure. It's possible to do, so long as your 5 year old doesn't try to take the pieces and make a monster track. You're going to need 4 D batteries to power this sucker up.

After you've got it assembled, just turn it on. The wheels don't have that much power that you can pinch a finger. I tried and couldn't hurt myself. (I had to make sure it was safe for the kid.) The included car works well. My son was able to use plenty of his other cars on the track. He made it a challenge to see how many cars he could get running on the track at the same time.

They do recommend that you brace part of the track with a book which did help keep the cars on the track. It's got a little bit of a wobble.

The downside to this is the noise. When the track is on, it's got a medium grade hum. It reminded me of something like a vacuum cleaner running in the room. My son didn't mind it but I wanted to be far away after 10 minutes of listening to it.

I didn't get into the iPad component of this and I'm not sure that I will. It's a little more than necessary for a car track, especially for a 5 year old (IMO). It's a nice idea but not really necessary. So I can't speak for how well that works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Major disappointment, September 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having played with Hot Wheels and tracks as a kid, I was really looking forward to the excitement of multiple cars on a sturdy track. With one car, it works well. Pulling levers at the right time to get the car to switch tracks is fun. Otherwise, this track was a huge let-down.

* Two cars didn't stay on the track. They kept flying off. Do not use multiple cars near anything valuable or breakable.
* It's really large. That's not a con in and of itself, but it will be difficult to store.
* When on, it's LOUD, like a Dustbuster.
* To produce the loud sound, you need 4 D batteries.
* It's wobbly. If your instructions suggest bracing with a book, I'd suggest making it already braced. That seems like a design flaw they should have corrected.
* Tablet support is for iPad only. This might seem like a drawback, but given the actual app, trust me, it's not. It's a weak app with poor animation that uses the camera function of the iPad. It's more fun without the app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crash or continue racing...you decide!, September 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a "super fast" Hot Wheels track according to my son. He gets to control the action with a lever that has the cars on a crash course or with an adjustment puts them on course for further racing. The other boys that have come over have been impressed as well since it does go fast and there is quite a bit of interesting, elevated track action. My son who is eight put this track together very quickly and by himself. It has survived quite a bit of play at this point and is still intact despite being picked up and moved by holding the tracks. We think that this would make a great birthday or Christmas present for the young boy in your life and if my son can easily put it together then so can you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for fans of cars and roller coasters and crashes, August 17, 2013
Nicole Alger "imanoonle" (Belmont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was definitely my son's favorite present that we gave to him for his 7th birthday, and I can't blame him. It's definitely a fun toy... but:
-- It's huge. Luckily all the kids enjoy the toy enough that I don't need to really put it away, but I have no idea how it will store when I do need to put it away. It will not fit on any shelf or fit into any toy bin unless I take it apart first.
-- It's loud. If you need a quiet race track in your house, this is not for you-- unless you are far away from the track. Even in my kids' playroom, I can hear the toy going a couple rooms away. My husband isn't as good as tuning out sounds like this, so this is a definite drawback for him.
-- Assembly is required, as are batteries (4 D's). The assembly isn't hard, but it can be a bit time consuming if you have some antsy kids who are really excited about playing with the toy. Note: assembly is made even easier because each track piece has a letter that you match up to the other piece that has that same letter. This took me a couple steps to realize!
-- Lastly, and I'm sure this is specific to our toy, but a piece was missing to fasten one of the loops. We were going to call the number on the box, but the toy actually works fine without it, so we haven't yet. Like I said, this probably won't happen to every single purchase of the track, but it's something I figured I'd mention.

Some of the positives:
-- FUN. It is very easy for this toy to hold my kids' attentions (ages 7, 4 1/2 and almost 2). It's fun to watch the cars go around, and it is especially fun to do multiple cars on the tracks and watch them crash.
-- You can "control" the loops to an extent by some knobs and levers.
-- More than one car can run on the track at a time. You will have crashes, but that's part of the fun.
-- The track doesn't seem to be too specific about the type of Hot Wheels you use. We've had one track where you have to pick a certain shape car, but this one will work with lots of our cars.
-- It's so easy, my 22 month old can easily work it. He knows how to turn it on, manipulate the tracks and get the cars to go, and he has a fabulous time doing it.

We haven't even attempted using an ipad and the corresponding app. It really isn't needed.

Seriously, if this toy was a bit quieter and easily disassembled or compact enough to store somewhere, it would definitely be one of our top toys.

5.0 out of 5 stars A twisting good time, July 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son is turning 5 next month and my daughter is 7, they both throughly enjoy this set. The set up was a snap and didn't take more than a few minutes.

The set does require 4 D batteries (not included) and only comes with one car. So if your looking at getting this for someone as a gift those are things to keep in mind.

The "controllers" were easy for both children to figure out, and they love making the cars crash. Any toy that can create laughter for any amount of time is a winner in my book.

It also comes with a stand for an ipad as well as an app for additional fun. Since we don't own an ipad I can't comment on how well it works. My kids don't seem to mind not being able to take advantage of that feature.

Overall I can recommend it for any child age 4 to 10, boys and girls can both enjoy this one. Well done Hot Wheels!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cars fall off immediately, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Hot Wheels Triple Track Twister Track Set (Toy)
Even the car supplied with this set does not make it around the first loop. When you push the cars full force into the motor they still fall on the first loop. We've tried over 30 different cars now, and only the thinnest, lightest one can complete half the track. Very big disappointment.

Hot Wheels Triple Track Twister Track Set