5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Buy this plate, you will not be disappointed.
Published on September 4, 2009 by St Louis shopper

1.0 out of 5 stars Cracked
I put my HotSmart plate in the microwave today, and it came out with an enormous crack as long as 3/4 of the plate.

I bought mine several months ago and I've noticed that as time has gone by, I've had to heat it longer and longer in the microwave to get it to stay warm.

Published on September 5, 2012 by J. Arena

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Buy this plate, you will not be disappointed., September 4, 2009
This review is from: HotSmart Hot Gourmet Plates - InstaHot 30 minute Plus (Patented)
The plate is wonderful, it does the job just as advertised. The plate comes with instructions on recommended microwave time for the wattage of the microwave. My microwave is 1100 watts so I heated the plate for 1 minute, it was able to keep the food warm for over 45 minutes. A family member is a very slow eater (due to medical problems each meal takes a little over an hour not including dessert) and this plate was able to keep the food warm the entire time. Initially, I was looking for a metal platter/wood tray combo that restaurants use to serve fajitas or steaks to help keep food warm. I saw this and thought I would try it out; I am very glad I did. I think it is much better than the "sizzler" plates since:
1) it keeps food warm for a longer period of time.
2) it can be washed in dishwasher (some metal plates have to be hand-washed).
3) takes up less room in cabinet, do not have the hassle of metal plate and protective outer wood/plastic plate.
4) safer than metal plate since rim of this plate is safe to touch if you follow the instructions.
Plus, it is very pretty and neutral in design so fits with any decor. The only potential down side is that the plate is a little heavy, however, it is still lighter than the metal platter/protective tray combo. I am very impressed with this product and recommend it to everyone who likes their food hot. As I said, buy it and you won't be disappointed.

A big THANK YOU to the inventor for coming up with this product :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Possible fix for leakage problems with Hot Plates, November 1, 2010
I ordered two of these plates and did not overheat them in the microwave. I also hand washed to try and avoid the problems others had before me. Unfortunately, one of my plates lost it's seal and water got inside. I called and actually talked with Juan (the inventor) about the problem. He was very nice and quite willing to do whatever to make sure I was happy. I do not want to return the plates though as they truly do a better job of keeping food hot than anything I've ever tried. Juan told me I could try and reseal the seam with heat resistant silicon. This works and appears(so far) to solve the problem. I also realize, as my wife told me, that nobody wants to have to work on something you just paid good money for. Part of me is a natural handyman so I had to try and fix it first! Also, I was quite impressed with both Juan and his story of his startup company, so I wanted to try some possible solutions. After all, I want to keep and use the plates, and I also would love to be able to help Juan to make his venture a success. He told me he was partially disabled and this was both his dream and his only source of income. (Kind of a make it or break it situation for his family.) So in that light, if anybody would like the steps I've taken to try and fix this problem, email me at gregorysugg at gmail dot com and I'll be happy to send you an email with the info I've found out on what helps. Thanks, Greg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for slow eaters and weight loss surgery patients, January 1, 2010
A. Kleymann (Chicagoland, IL) - See all my reviews
Hubby and I finally got to using our InstaHot plates tonight. First off, THANK YOU for creating this product. We love them. Really. As recent WLS patients (both hubby and myself), we have to eat our meals over about 20 minutes. I take a bit longer than he does. One of my biggest pet peeves since having surgery is all my hot food is cold after about 10 minutes. I like my food to be hot while I eat it.

So in come InstaHot plates. We were so thrilled to find them. I have to say, at $15 a piece, I was a bit trepidatious about the purchase. You're talking to someone who has an entire set of plates from IKEA for less than the two plates we ordered and we use those cheap plates every day. I can say, now that I've used the InstaHot plates, the $15 was a small price to pay to keep my food hot through my dinner. And that they did.

The plates, as advertised, stayed cool on the rim, and the base and plate area was hot. After 20+ minutes of eating, my fish stayed hot, but was not overcooked, dry or overheated. I figured we'd try the plates with fish first, as it's very easy to overcook trout, but the plates did exactly as advertised and kept the food steadily hot throughout the meal without any further cooking or, as said, drying out.

The plates are a bit heavy, and (unless I missed it) the instructions are a bit sketchy on care and cleaning. We hand washed our plates after letting them cool for a little over an hour. If you're not used to grabbing your plates by the rim, you'll have to get used to that. I had to keep telling myself to not put my hand under the plate itself. I should note, however, that the hot plates did not damage my table or where the plates were set after heating and through dinner.

The quality of the plates is high and the plates are neutral.

Overall, a great product. The customer service from the inventor/vendor has been excellent. I look forward to this product line expanding.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cracked, September 5, 2012
J. Arena (New York, NY) - See all my reviews

The other commenters who pointed out how ugly the bottom of the HotSmart plate is are right - the creator responded that the back of a refrigerator is ugly too, and that doesn't matter. Um... but you *see* the bottom of these plates, you don't see the back of a fridge. Before the plate cracked it worked fine, but yes, it's ugly. I would have no problem with this, but all of the literature on Amazon, the product's website, and that comes with the HotSmart plate SCREAMS AT YOU IN ALL CAPS about how this is elegant china that can be used for formal dining. Um... no, it can't. If it could, the creator wouldn't have compared it to the back of a fridge. At its best it is useful and hospital-looking.

Like I said the HotSmart plate does stay warm, but it's too fragile for regular use. Mine chipped a little right off the bat so I've always been extremely gentle with it, but if it cracks from regular microwave use, it's not well-made.

Also it seems like an intentional typo that it's labeled HotSmart Plates (plural). You only get one - it should be HotSmart Plate (singular).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with quality of plate, May 19, 2010
Don Starr (Commerce City,Co.) - See all my reviews
The plate kept the heat for almost an hour.but when the the plate was washed it retained water between the base of the plate and the actual plate.Within a month the base disconnected from the plate.You could see were the water had rusted to the heating element inside the base of the plate.I am not happy.Plate was returned immediatly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it., January 23, 2012
Hal B (Rancho PV, CA) - See all my reviews
It's really nice to eat a meal where everything stays hot. It seems like forever that most meals got cold before I finished. No more. It's easy to heat the plates up, only one minute in the microwave, and that can be done while preparing other things. The design is such that most of the plate gets quite warm while the rim stays cool enough to pick up without gloves. The plate stays warm for about 30 minutes and is quite effective at keeping the food hot. Too bad it's not dishwasher safe, but I understand that that is coming.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was Ok..., February 1, 2010
k.p. (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I bought this plate for it's intended use, but was a little disappointed with it. Yes the middle of the plate did get hot, but I didn't notice a huge difference in keeping my food warm. It's very, very heavy. You also have to keep the food directly in the middle of the plate and the food on the top of the pile (like spaghetti) needs to be rotated to get to the middle of the plate part. So some parts stay hot if they're right directly in the middle, others still cool down.

I noticed a small (not a HUGE) difference in keeping my food hot. Another reviewer said the hot plates at mexican restaurants were better, and I kinda agree.
There's some bugs to be worked out, but overall is an acceptable investment if you need to eat slower.

It's also kind of annoying that the inventor comments & rates his product from different amazon accounts! Not cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you hate cold food you will love this plate, January 13, 2010
I received my first plate as a Christmas gift. I couldn't believe how warm it kept my food all the way to the last bite. I talked about it so much my husband asked me if I would order one for him. I decided to order two so I would have a spare. I read the one complaint about water getting in the plate and I can tell you that I don't have that problem because as soon as we are done eating I wash the plates by hand and I don't immerse them in water. I think they are worth that little extra care.

Wanda Marumoto

3.0 out of 5 stars nice product, December 22, 2012
As discribed, the center of the plate gets very warm and the edges are cool and it's easy to handle. The food stays warmer a bit longer than it would otherwise, but not that much. I think a bowl shape would be better. This helps, but it's not the complete solution for my mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars SuppertimeSaver, March 18, 2012
This plate has saved suppertime for my family. My dad came to live with us. He is a very slow eater. Everytime he complained that his supper was getting cold I would heat it up in the microwave. Sometimes it was then too hot and he'd have to wait and then it would quickly get cold and I would heat it up again. Now his meal is placed in the center of this heated plate and we all can enjoy suppertime together.