4.0 out of 5 stars This Hotel is no Red Woof Inn!
So my brother and sister and their spouses are taking an "emergency mental health day" over to the casino boats and I'm pulling Uncle duty for a couple hours. We decide to go to the movies and I try to convince them to go see My Bloody Valentine 3D.
"We don't wanna see it." they said, "It scares us."

"Why, I asked," because you're all a bunch of...
Published on February 3, 2009 by Michael Noga

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs not a total dog
We bought this to play for the kids at church, and I was skeptical. It's a better movie than the title implies. Lot's of cliches' but reasonably well acted. And we didn't have to worry about content.
Published on November 24, 2009 by Harry

4.0 out of 5 stars This Hotel is no Red Woof Inn!, February 3, 2009
Michael Noga "Jumping kings and making Haste ... (Somewhere near the mean streets of Chicago) - See all my reviews
"We don't wanna see it." they said, "It scares us."

"Why, I asked," because you're all a bunch of babies?"

"We're not babies! We're this many", they said, holding up 3 fingers.

"Exactly. You're not babies. You're post-toddlers."

"Uncle Hammoooooock! We wanna see Hotel for Dogs".

Well I thought, maybe it would be for the best to see Hotel for Dogs. If I take them to see it then maybe years from now when I'm a toothless old loon confined to a government nursing home the kids will remember this movie fondly and come around to visit me and shoo the flies off my face and maybe keep the attendents from stealing my teeth and underpants.
Besides, i could teach them how to mix Milk Duds with popcorn and the flask of "Uncle Medicine" I carry would smooth over any bumps, especially if I mixed it with a nice fizzy Tab. Okay, kids, Hotel for Dogs it is!

Well sir, I was flabbergasted. This movie was much better than it looked in trailers and commercials. In the trailers, it looked like your average , dopey, mediocre kid movie. But it's better than that. The fine folks who made this film seemed to have put some actual thought and effort into entertaining our kids.

Basically, you got these two kids, bother and sister, who have been in and out of various foster homes since their parents died. They are a handful, a couple of smart little con-artists. But they are motivated by the desire to stay together and remain as much of a family as possible, and this desire extends to their dog, Friday, whom they keep hidden from a string of foster parents who won't take kids with dogs. Most of their schemes involve ways to feed or shelter Friday, but when that becomes too daunting a task they decide to bunk him in an abandoned hotel. One thing leads to another and eventually they are taking care of not only Friday, but a whole pack of dogs. The stray children have created a family for themselves with other strays. Of course there is a serious threat to their happiness, which(do I need to say spoiler alert) is alleviated in the end and eveyone lives happily ever after. That covers the plot.

There's a lot to like about this film. The acting is good. Lisa Kudrow and Kevin Dillon are especially funny as Lois and Carl Scudder, the stars of the Carl Scudder Experience, a low-rent rock lounge act that couldn't cut the mustard playing for a back-alley craps game much less at a venue in Vegas. They're more petty and selfish than evil, although Kudrow looks kind of like a white trash Cruella DeVil. Emma Roberts and Jake T. Austin do a good job as the kids. They're smart but not that wise-beyond -their -years smart you see in some movies. They look and act like actual kids.

I should also mention the dogs. I'm generally not a fan of animals that "act" unless they're terrorizing the human population of a small town or island somewhere, but these dogs are often funny, even by adult standards. I think the trick is that the dog scenes are not overdone. They don't wear out their welcome for the grown-up crowd. Kids will love it. The mutts have their own little characteristics and traits but the crowd favorite was Cooper, a big english bull dog who eats anything and everything, from license plates to ladies shoes.

The movie was written by Jeff Lowell,Robert Schooley ,& Mark McCorkle. Schooley and McCorkle created the Kim Possible series and helped write Sky High. They are developing a reputation for making quality family pictures that are fun, smart and imaginitive.

The plot is simple but it's also well done. It's silly in ways that kids will enjoy but it's never insulting, pandering or overly sentimental. And really, does a kid's movie need an intricate, detailed plot. Sure any adult who's lives in a country with free electricity is going to know how this thing turns out, but this movie really wasn't written for adults. It has humor in it that will keep an adults attention, but it's meant for th kids. A big part of the fun of seieng a movie like this with the kids is watching them watch the movie. Most of this stuff is new to them. They don't know for sure if the Hotel is doomed when the dog catchers find out about it. They don't know if the brother and sister are going to remain a family. And they are completely surprised and tickled when the dogs perform cute and funny little stunts that dogs have performed for years. You can get a kick out of watching the suspense, surprise and joy play across their faces as the movie progresses. It's one of those nice little films you can share with your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Dog-Gone Classic For The Family, March 14, 2009
HOTEL FOR DOGS is About A Couple of Children That Open A Hotel For Dogs After Finding 2 Dogs That Were Already There. But Problems Happen When The Dog Cathers Wander Were All The Stray Dogs Went (The Kids Took Them). The Cathers Are On Loose and Will Do Anything To Get The Strays Back.

HOTEL FOR DOGS is An Absolutly Funny, Dramatic, and Thrilling Family Film. Jake T. Austin (From Disney's WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PLACE) is One Great Young Actor in This Film, and Brings Some Funny Inventons That The Carecter He Plays Builds. Emma Roberts (From Nick's UNFABOLUS) is The Best When it Comes Playing The Sister Who Falls Head-Over-Healls For A Teen Who Works at A Pet Shop.

The Dogs Themselves Are Great! The Stunts By The Dogs Are Great!

HOTEL FOR DOGS is A Must-See For The Family and Recommended For Kids 5 & Older.

I Also Recommend You see
Air Bud, The Adventures of Milo and Otis, and The All Dogs Go to Heaven Series

Overall Rating-5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your average fleabag hotel at all!, March 6, 2009
Well, this movie hasn't totally gone to the dogs. Wasn't it W. C. Fields who said never act up against either a kid or an animal? "Hotel for Dogs" best performances are by the shorter cast members be they two or four footed.

Andi (Emma Roberts) and Bruce (Jake T. Austin) are a pair of orphans living in possibly the world's worst foster home with Carl and Lois Scudder (Kevin Dillon and Lisa Kudrow). Dog food looks better than what Lois serves up for dinner and the music they play as a rock group has gone to the dogs.

Andi and Bruce at first appear to be a pair of cons. They're selling rocks in shrink wrapped cell phone packaging to unsuspecting strangers. Turns out, they're not doing this for themselves, but to keep the family together and that means feeding Friday, the long gut mutt they've been hiding from the foster parents for the past three years.

When Friday ends up nearly kept by the Animal Control Officers, the sibs decide to make him a home in an abandoned hotel. What they don't realize until they get there is that two dogs have already claimed the spot. And well, the more the merrier as they devise a Rube Goldberg type apparatus to keep the animals fed, scooped and entertained while they are gone.

Unfortunately, things go awry. Will the plucky kids and their four legged family be able to keep the home they have carved out for themselves? Go see the film to find out. You'll be surprised how doggone funny it is.

Rebecca Kyle, March 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs not a total dog, November 24, 2009
Harry (Franklin, TN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotel for Dogs [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Movie Ever! By: Kiley Moe, February 8, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Hotel for Dogs (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I'm a major dog lover, so when I saw that a movie like Hotel for Dogs came out I rushed to go and see it.
Hotel for Dogs is about two orphans finding an abandoned hotel and saving all the stray dogs in town from the pound. They run into a few conflicts but manage to get past them with help from others!
Hotel for Dogs is for sure a good movie, filled with sad moments and happy moments. Amazing family movie!!! I give it four and a half stars!
My favorite scene or the funniest is when the two adults fall into the entire nasty dog poop!! This is very nasty!! Luckily, they were in bags.
The movie crew and cast did an amazing job dog training all the dogs. Training them to walk where they need to and when to bark or whine was just wonderful!!
This movie really brings out the dog lover in people. It also shows how SOME shelters treat dogs and other poor animals! It really made me take a step back and think about the poor animals and what they go through in this world!
WONDERFUL movie is all I have left to say!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches something good, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Hotel for Dogs (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I love this movie not only cause I'm a dog lover, but also it teaches the true meaning of family. I can't wait for my daughter to see this with me

4.0 out of 5 stars ...a wonderful movie the whole family can enjoy together., January 24, 2009
Ever since Rin Tin Tin and Lassie America has loved a good dog flick. Some have made us laugh (The Ugly Dachshund), some have made us cry (Old Yeller, Marley & Me), others are just plain fun (Beverly Hills Chihuahua). Nickelodeon/ Dreamworks' Hotel For Dogs falls into this category. Even though it's officially a comedy, there's still some real life thrown in.

Siblings Andi (Emma Roberts) and Bruce (Jake T. Austin) have been in and out of foster homes since their parents died, and up to now they've managed to stay together and keep their dog, a scruffy Jack Russell terrier named Friday, a secret. But the bubble's about to burst. When Friday's picked up by the dog catcher and they barely get him back, they realize he deserves a real home. They can't hide him in parks and behind dumpsters forever. Then one night Andi and Bruce stumble upon an old abandoned hotel, and the adventure begins.

In the vein of 2003's Good Boy (minus the talking dogs), Hotel for Dogs hits all the right notes in the balance of humor, mayhem and drama. Thankfully the film makers resisted the temptation to elicit laughs from potty jokes alone, although there's still a few appropriate gags involving doggie doo-doo that'll please the younger set. The ingenious inventions created by Bruce, like an automatic assembly line dog feeder, car ride simulator, and some hilarious mechanical sheep keep our disbelief thoroughly suspended, but they're also what make this film fun and kid-friendly.

Even though Hotel For Dogs' take-away is never heavy-handed, the subtle message of love for the unwanted, whether they be dogs or kids, isn't lost on viewers. It's a touching theme and the film's more serious element. But let's face it. We're watching Hotel for Dogs for the dogs. And there are enough of them here to fill a . . . er, hotel. Breeds all over the AKC map make appearances, but a Boston Terrier, Mastiff, Bulldog, Border Collie, and a Chinese Crested Hairless take center stage alongside lead dog Friday (played by a shelter rescue named Cosmo) who steals the spotlight even from his young human stars. Which isn't to say Roberts and Austin don't put on a great performance. Roberts, known for her roles in the films Nancy Drew and Aquamarine, plays the ideal older sister who wants to be the voice of reason but shares her brother's soft spot for pups. It won't be long before she's known for much more than being Julia Roberts' niece.

A few tense thematic moments involving the pound and stray dogs being put down (a dog is led out the back door rather roughly by one of the dog catchers and later the man returns alone) could be troubling to younger or extra sensitive viewers. I heard a parent whispering to their concerned child once or twice behind me in the theater. But aside from this, Hotel for Dogs is a wonderful movie the whole family can enjoy together. Be sure to watch the ending credits featuring the cast and crew with their real-life pets.

--Reviewed by C.J. Darlington for TitleTrakk

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid-Tested (from 4.5 to 11) and Mother Approved, May 3, 2009
This review is from: Hotel for Dogs (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I took my son (4.5 years old), my daughter (10) and two other kids (11 and 8) to this movie over Spring Break. I didn't know much about it, but we all loved it.

It's a good caper movie, featuring a teen girl and her brother's solution to keeping their dog in spite of living in a foster home.

One thing I loved about it was the lack of crude humor (except a few dog bodily function jokes), and also the lack of romance. There was a little bit of romantic interest, but it was not the focus of the story, and I personally don't think that movies targeted to preschoolers on up need to feature a love story (but most of them, from Cinderella on up do).

4.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Film!!!, May 11, 2009
I gave my mom this movie for Mother's day, and we both liked it! The dogs were awesome and cute! Andi and Bruce live with crappy foster parents and try to hide their dog, Friday. They soon find a rundown hotel and give stray dogs a place to eat and sleep. The more dogs they find, the more help they'll need from friends who work at a pet store, and a kid with a police scanner. It was very funny and I highly recommend you let your pet stay at the HOTEL FOR DOGS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog and Kid Rescue, April 28, 2009
This review is from: Hotel for Dogs (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
We took our six-year-old granddaughter to see this movie and we all enjoyed it. I do dog rescue and my heart loved the message in the film that it is not okay to throw away our dogs when we are tired of them. The kids in the movie get stuck with some horrible foster parents and they want to stay together--brother, sister and dog. It is not all heart string pulling though; there are tons of funny moments in the film. A definite family movie worth seeing. Power Path to Love

Hotel for Dogs (Widescreen Edition)
Hotel for Dogs (Widescreen Edition) by Thor Freudenthal (DVD - 2009)
$19.99 $3.37