Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Emergency Candle Clear Mist|Change

We have several of these "candles" in our house, to use during power outages. Being fueled with liquid paraffin, they burn without smoke or odor, and the fuel won't break down even after years of storage. The container is designed to extinguish the flame if it tips over - although the base is stable enough that it would take a big smack to tip it over.

The light from these candles is bright and clear, although not as bright as a flashlight. We put one on the kitchen counter and it lights the room enough to get around safely, but not enough to read by.

Because of the risk of fire, I wouldn't suggest using these candles in a tent or in a car (as one reviewer wanted to do). Set them safely on a table or countertop and enjoy 100 hours of non-smelly light.
22 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2011
I initially bought 4 of these just in-case of Emergencies. I just wanted to test them, because I wasn't sure what type of light-giving device I wanted in my SHTF Box.

When Irene hit, I lost power for a few days and I got a chance to test them. I gave one to my parents and kept the other 3 for myself. The light was about the equivalent of a normal candle so I actually pulled the wick out to about double the original length (maybe 1/4" exposed) and it more then doubled the flame size. I know with the larger flame it won't last the expected 100 hours, but for the amount of light these gave off it is well worth the sacrifice.

The recent snow storm devastated my area had me without power for a few days, These candles were once again a life saver. I don't know how much less life they have with the longer flame, but the main one that has been lit thru both storms still has 2/3 of the fuel left. I recently ordered 12 more candles, so I could re-stock my Emergency kit. These are a MUST HAVE for any Emergency kit.

My only recommendation is to make sure to re-cap the candles when not in use. The fuel can evaporate and be a waste. Other then that, these are the best investment I have made so far.
11 comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
This is misnamed. It is not a candle (i.e. made of wax) it is a small container of liquid fuel with a wick. It works just like the old fashioned kerosene lamps. The light output is equivalent to a candle and it does last for about 100 hours. Be sure to keep the cap on when not using it to prevent the fuel from evaporating. A great item to have on hand for power outages. Be sure to keep a lighter or a pack of matches (sealed in a plastic bag to keep them dry) right beside it in the drawer. Unlike a candle this won't tip over and won't drip. I recommend it.
3232 comments| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2011
This liquid candle works as advertised. In a black out PROPERLY PLACED IN A SAFE AREA AWAY FROM DOGS, CATS AND KIDS this liquid candle will prevent you from stumbling around and last several days. Think! You only use it when it's dark! 12 hours at most? During a recent blackout we put one on the bathroom shelf and the light was sufficient to ,,,, well you get the idea.
We did put it out when we went to bed and in it's place used a light stick which kinda does the job. One thing we have learned is that you can never have too many of these candles in storage. They last almost forever! And you can never have too many light sticks either.
I highly recommend these candles, especially when it's dark! ~~LOL~~
33 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2011
These arrived on time and work well. I like them better than candles, for burn time as well as safety reasons. However, one of the "lids" wasn't secure, and it therefore leaked all over the shipping box. In fact, none of the lids are particularly airtight, so I'm curious to see whether there is evaporation over time. For the cost and ease, they're a good buy.
on January 27, 2012
I wanted a long-lasting candle that was not powered by kerosene or gasoline or alcohol. This is a great purchase because it's safe, it lasts a long time and it's not 'explosive', being powered by parrafin.
on May 16, 2012
I left a neutral 3-star review for the item itself because we haven't used it yet. I'm sure it would do the job. But the packaging is dangerous. It was not in any kind of shrink-wrap or anything. It had only a piece of clear packing tape over the cap, and it leaked in transit! Add to that, it came in a box with several other items we ordered, and one was a baby toy. Not happy with that AT ALL. We order from Amazon quite often, and this is not typical. Very disappointing.
review image
44 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2010
I bought these "just in case" and sure enough our power went out about 1 month later. A great purchase, just what I needed.
on September 23, 2011
i got a 6 pack of these threw them on a shelf and forgot about them but the first time we lost power these candles were a life saver the flame is very small so it gives off very little heat and in the summer time it gets hot with no a/c! i keep these candles in my house 24/7 and there great fro camping but u need to put them in a zip top bag they might leak a little
on June 9, 2014
Good value for the money but same issues as previous reviewers.

Pros
Good price for 100 hours of burn time
No smoke
Easy thing to have on hand that you should always be able to get use out of.
If you "give up" on an emergency situation arising, you can always put it in a decorative glass candle holder and go to town.

Cons
Poor packaging - some of the "fuel" leaked into the box. It's basically a plastic cap that is supposed to keep the fuel inside the candle. If the box is not always right side up it WILL leak.
Not sure whether to blame this on Amazon or the manufacturer. I tend to lean torwards the manufacturer since I've never had this type of problem with Amazon.
Small wick exposure - Pulled the wick out a little bit to provide more light. Not sure how much this will affect the burn time (I'm sure it will decrease it but hopefully not drastically) but it certainly increased the light output.