5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect beach read!
I downloaded and read this fun book in one day! It was very entertaining :). I really hope that there will be future books featuring Kat Cavvichio.

I loved how Kim brought autism's day to day battles into the story without making it seem like an "autism book". I would absolutely recommend it to anyone, not just to autism mom's.

On a side note, I...
Published on December 22, 2011 by planetpj

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to worry, Janet!
Published on January 24, 2012 by Sailor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect beach read!, December 22, 2011
planetpj "planetpj" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)

On a side note, I was impressed that as a "kindle first" book, it was well edited and not filled with typos. I read lots of "kindle only" books That are just filled with errors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quick vacation read., January 1, 2012
Stephanie Hunt (York, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
I got House of Cards to read while visiting relatives for the holidays. As someone without kids with Autism, I was worried the book might be bogged down with the Autism aspect but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked into the story. The story was fast packed and a lot of fun! It was a great quick read, and I especially enjoyed the references to the Boston area, it brought me back. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a fun quick "chick thriller".

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Fun Ride!, January 12, 2012
Tina M (Royal Oak, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
Escapism at it's best! Chick lit, suspense, and a bit of autism weaved together to make for a fun and excited ride! I flipped each page (well, scrolled as it was my Kindle) with gusto to see what was going to happen next. Thanks Kim Stag for writing something to help us escape!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read!, January 4, 2012
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
House of Cards has it all - suspense, murder, romance - and autism! Kim does a wonderful job of weaving it all together and I certainly hope that readers will get a sequel(s). The characters are well developed while still leaving some wiggle room to learn more about them in later installments (hint hint Kim). Autism plays an important but not overpowering part in the book and i think that Kim did a great job of balancing autism and the rest of the story. For autism parents there will be a lot of recognition of things from our lives but, for those not familiar with autism, Kim does a great job of explaining the issues faced by the Cards. My only criticism is that all that terrific sounding food that Cat and her clan were regularly eating made me hungry the whole time. This is a great quick read and fit the bill for a quiet afternoon (a rarity for me!).

5.0 out of 5 stars about half way through, December 21, 2011
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
I am about half way through with this book and love it. It is well written with believable, well developed characters and a plausable storyline. As with her nonfiction books, Kim does a great job of telling about the good, bad, really ugly, and very touching parts of life in a family with autism while not being overbearing or preachy. I love the way she gives the reality of life with autism, whithout being all whiney and "poor me."
This is a great book with a great storyline, I will recommend it to all of my friends, even those not in the "autism" world. Great job Kim!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to worry, Janet!, January 24, 2012
Sailor "www.ShoeboxProject.org" (Green Cove Springs, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
Janet Evanovich need not worry--Kat is no competition to Stephanie Plum. As the grandmother of an autistic young man, I am sympathetic to the author as mother, but as reader, I don't need to be hit over the head in what was supposed to be a romantic mystery by the plight of parents of autistic kids. I get it, & the other readers would probably have gotten it without 90% of the details of daily care of autistic kids.

This author, with time, & more experience in this particular genre, could probably write a decent series. However, she cut off her story by wrapping it up in pink ribbons, so she would have to develop a different protagonist (hopefully, one w/out the propensity to barf so much), one who is both feisty & sustainable. The attempts at humor were heavy handed, & I hope in the future the humor will flow more naturally. I also hope future heroines will display some attributes that could reasonably appeal to future love interests.

I hate to complain so much since this book was a free offer, but I am still unhappy that I spent so much time slogging through bodily functions. I'd be willing to give this author another try, except she has enough writing experience so that this should have been a more polished effort (there were a few typos, but I'm talking about the writing, not the typing).

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book to escape with!, January 17, 2012
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
Kim did a great job of holding readers in suspense, using humor and sprinkling with life in a family with Autism. It was delightful, entertaining and suspenseful all in one.

I look forward to the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, December 27, 2011
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
Kim stagliano does it again! Super read!!!!!
I have nothing but admiration for this writer, mother, and advocate. This time around she gets to write fiction! Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoping to hear more from Kat!, December 27, 2011
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
This book was such a fun read. The characters are really well-developed, I found myself attached to them very quickly. The Cavicchio family dynamic is just fantastic, definitely a group of people you'd like to have dinner with. I really enjoyed their love for each other and their great sense of humor. Kat is hilarious - I had several "Laugh Out Loud" moments while reading this book. As a parent of a child with autism, I thought Kim Stagliano did a fantastic job of weaving in the daily struggles that we face without making this a story about autism. The murder/mystery/romance storyline is exciting and fast, and I really enjoyed all of the New England references. I hope to hear more from Kat soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 26, 2011
John Elder Robison (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Cards (Kindle Edition)
I read the first incarnation of this book a few years ago, and it's come a long way since then. Kim is a great storyteller and I encourage you to give this one a try, along with her memoir, All I Can Handle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›