5.0 out of 5 stars An instant Fulci classic in the best release yet
Lucio Fulci. If you're a diehard gore/horror/grindhouse/exploitation/cult movie fan, this man's name and legacy is instantly recognizable. From such classics as Zombie, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, The New York Ripper and this,
Published on November 8, 2011 by firefire

3.0 out of 5 stars It�s all relative�
Published on December 12, 2000 by John H. Butler II

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant Fulci classic in the best release yet, November 8, 2011
This review is from: The House by the Cemetery [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The House By the Cemetery, you know what you are getting:all-out gore,violently creative and graphic deaths,zombies,laughably bad dialogue, some of the worst editing ever and to-be-expected awful English dubbing(considering these are Italian films).

This one is no exception,delivering all the goods as expected. A NY moves into a New England house,with a sordid past. Not surprisingly,that past has never left.Macabre and frightening things soon happen. WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS We get not only some really good gore,such as a bloody killing with a poker,a struggle with a bat,very bloody throat slashing/decapitation,and ultimately severed limbs and guts all about during a flashback, but this has a genuine creepy and frightening atmosphere, which you will not get most of the time in this genre. Classic horror film and haunted house flick musical score. The editing is as problematic as ever, like the rest of Fulci's catalog;pointless cuts and uneven structure. To the point of irritating. Dialogue and acting are(again like all of other Fulci's films)so bad it's hilarious, but who watches these movies for that anyway??? Only the editing is the flaw that bothers me.

Once again, Blue Underground has a done a terrific job on this BD release. Presented in it's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1,anamorphic, with an English DTS-HD 2.0 track as well as the original Italian mono, with English subtitles. Audio is clear and sharp, no problems. Picture is as vivid as you can hope for an aged,obscure title like this. Just the right amount of film grain, I did not notice any problems with DNR or compression. Colors are sharped then they've ever been. In fact, I doubt this movie has ever looked better.

Boasts a whole truckload of extras,with all but two(TV spot and poster/still gallery)being in HD. There is a deleted scene without sound, pretty much an extension of the bat-attack aftermath. The first interview with the lovely and still beautiful to-this-day Catriona MacColl and Paolo Malco is fun watch as they give their recollections and commentary. The other interviews I have yet to watch, but I'm sure they are all worth the time.

A solid release of another solid Fulci classic, this one is not to be missed for Fulci fans, gorehounds, and horror fans in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ZOOOOMMMM by The Cemetery, April 19, 2005
This review is from: The House by the Cemetery (DVD)
When i first saw this film on video way back in the early 8os, i thought it was a pile of smudgy ,worm infested pile of crap.It lured me in with it's lurid poster on the video shops shelf among all the great tacky films we love today.So whats changed? Firstly, the video version was full screen and worn and cut. Now that it is on dvd we can all see it in widescream digitallllly mastered and uncut. It is like watching another film, and i must say, i think it is one of Fulcis best films. Full of poetry, atmosphere and creepy menace. Yes it may be tacky in parts and some scenes tend to rely on over the top gore, but this is what makes this film so unique. It's unpredictable and has an almost homemade feel about it that you just don't get anymore from films. Maybe Jess Franco. but he never made a film like this. A film that could only have come out of Italy at that most cherished of times the 80s, and offering somthing that America could never duplicate with all it's millions, and for that it should be appreciated. Go seek it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third best Fulci film?, March 16, 2003
Roule Duke (the Green Inferno) - See all my reviews
For starters I genuinely enjoy Fulci's films and am a fan of senseless gore movies, so if your an average horror fan you should maybe deduct one star of my rating.
Anyhow, I've seen most of Fulci's film's, The Beyond being my favourite and the Anchorbay DVD of Beyond rocks, but House by the cemetary was one that I had not seen. I decided to buy the film as it was offten ranked as his third greatest (#1 Beyond, #2 Zombi but I like City of the Living Dead a little better than House as third) and also as it starred the super cute Fulci regular Catriona (Katherine) MacColl. I got the Diamond DVD as it was afordable and another guy in his review here said that he had being informed that although the Daimond version was rated 'R', it was actually the uncut version. And although a VERY graphic throat slashing scene remained intact and the rest of the film seemed uncut, I later read somewhere that a version 3 minutes longer was soon to be released. Whether or not the Diamond DVD here is the uncut version I cannot say.
House by the Cemetary basicly centres on a family moving into a house inhabited by a evil doctor who uses his victims fresh body parts to stay alive. It is filmed in typical Fulci style that critics consider full of continuety errors, while fans feel that this makes the films dream/nightmare like. I am fairly in between, I always believed that Fulcis camera technique is certainly artistic but he obviously can't tell a straight story and while this works brilliantly in the Beyond, it just makes some of his work very boring to sit through like Zombi. House had a genuinely eerie ambiance and Fulci does create a creepy atmosphere successfully but not to the extent of his master piece the Beyond.
Being Fulci, there is some great gore in this film. Theres a great throat slashing scene (mentioned above) which is an excellent effect and a knife in the back of the head scene, but there is also a very weak bat attack scene, the bat ten times more phoney than the fake spiders in the Beyond. There was not as much of Fulci's trademark gore in House as some of his other flicks, but once again the Diamond version is 84 minutes and I read somewhere that the uncut running time is 87 minutes, but this is the only version I've seen so I cannont coment.
If your a fulci fan then you will really enjoy this film but if you are new to his work then maybe check out the Beyond first or rent House before you buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars It�s all relative�, December 12, 2000
My rating reflects my affinity for "B" movies. The three stars are "B" movie stars, not "normal" movie stars. I am being a little generous since this is only my first review, and there was a very little bit of skin during the opening credits. If I could I'd give it 2 ˝ stars, but I rounded up. If you aren't into 70's and 80's "B" movies, if you only watch "good" movies, then you can consider this movie a zero.
The DVD video quality is very good, and as others have mentioned, it is in wide screen format. The audio quality is clean; however, there is poor volume control. At times the characters are so quiet, they can not be heard; at other times the volume goes high and well past the pain threshold. I understand this was most likely done for effect, but it is so badly done I almost wonder if it wasn't caused by an error in the transfer process, which appears to have come directly from laser disc. As the price would suggest, there are no frills or extras with this DVD. The movie is adequately dubbed.
There are the expected plot problems; in fact, the plot gets down right confused at points. In my opinion, Fulci failed to fully utilize the creepy Librarian character. While the gore is pretty cheesy, it was ample, and managed to make me squirm more than once. The "Bat scene" was a laugh riot, and there is some hilarious dialogue in the film. The husband is tasked with consoling his nervous wife saying things like, "This is New England, everybody has a tomb in their house". Lucio Fulci nailed my childhood fears of the basement, and I believe many people will appreciate this as well. I wish there had been more development on how Dr. Freudstein used his victim's to stay alive. Any demonstration is notably absent though it is mentioned on the back cover, as well as once in the last 10 minutes of the movie. This is not Lucio Fulci best work, but it had its moments, and in between the obligatory confusion, managed to scare me. If you're a fan of the genre, then by all means, rent it. If you are a hard core Fulci fan, and already own better titles like Zombie, then you can't beet the price of adding it to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't go in the basement....!!!!, May 14, 2005
Brian (The Twilight Zone) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House by the Cemetery (DVD)
I have long been a Fulci fanatic and this film, "House By The Cemetery," delivers the goods in spades.

The story is simple, if not altogether derivative. A young family moves from their cramped New York apartment into a spacious New England mansion. What sets this place apart from their previous abode, however, is the presence of the home's original owner, the detestable Dr. Freudstein. It would seem that he has been hiding in the home's shuttered basement for the last 100 years, picking off stray dwellers of the house and using their fluids and various other organs to sustain his own decomposing body. Sound far-fetched? Well, it should. But don't let that deter you. This is not "Rebecca From Sunnybrook Farm" or "Meet John Doe" we're talking about. It's a horror film with all the trademark gore and over-the-top violence we've come to expect from Lucio Fulci. Not high art by any stretch, but certainly never boring either. Definitely worth a purchase, especially if, like me, you happen to be a fan of this stuff.

The Anchor Bay DVD is absolutely first-rate with a pristine transfer and some cool theatrical/T.V. trailers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Ending More Than Makes Up For Any Flaws, February 5, 2008
David Girod (Westminster, Maryland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The House By the Cemetery (DVD)
Sometimes I get in the mood for a good old fashioned blood bash. I don't mean something as pasturized as the latest "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remakes. I don't want something loaded down with CGI effects like "300". I want good old latex and red-corn-syrup blood-letting. Something that could only have come out of Italy in the 1980's. Usually when I'm in this mood I will turn to Fulci's "Gates of Hell", (blood by the bucketful) but I've worn that flick out in recent years so I turned to "House by the Cemetery". The movie starts right out with a great splatter of the red stuff and we are off and runnin'! The first thing you will notice about this movie is the haunting score. It's fantastic, one of the best elements of the film. The second thing you will notice is the lousy vocal dub for "Bob"??? Not sure who or what is providing that voice....but it is pretty jarring when first heard to say the least. Finally you will notice that "House" actually serves up more suspense than oozing red stuff as it plays out. There are some pretty chilling scenes sprinkled throughout the film, and the final 15 minutes is fantastic! The blood does flow, don't get me wrong, there are several scenes to satisfy the gorehound, but the emphasis on suspense and the creepiness the underlies the entire film really make the gore secondary. If you can get past "Bob", then you will really enjoy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun horror movie!, November 2, 2003
Peter (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this film a lot. I'd only seen one other Fulci film. That movie was really good, though i vaguely remember that parts of it made no sense. Still, i can't wait to own it on dvd. House By The Cemetery is a really good haunted house movie. Don't bother over-analyzing this movie. Just watch it with all the lights off like i did. The first thing i noticed was how incredibly great and effective the music was. The music that accompanies the opening credits and the scene immediately following that where the boy is looking at the photograph of the house is very beautiful. That music reminded me of another memorable piece of music from the horror classic Phantasm. I love when horror movies use instrumental music instead of the current trend of using songs from current pop rock and heavy metal groups, which totally ruins things in my opinion. I love pop rock and heavy metal, but neither genre belongs in a horror movie because it just takes the scariness of the movie away totally. Horror movies should be about building atmosphere through music, not selling a current band's tunes. I give the opening and closing credits music a five star rating. Secondly, the cinematography is excellent, and the director builds tension and suspense with good camera work and also the effective use of sound effects. The gore is fairly decent, and very excessive in several scenes, as it is with most Italian and Euro horror movies. A lot of people talk about the annoying kid in the movie. I thought he did a good job for a kid his age. They should have picked someone who looked more like a boy. I'm pretty sure his voice was dubbed, and they should have picked a better-sounding voice. Maybe it's the kid's voice that everyone finds annoying. All in all i really liked this movie a lot. It has some really great elements to it and i found it very stylish and effective. I'd definitely watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eerie, unsettling, exciting and beautifully photographed, September 14, 2002
m j sanderson (doncaster, south yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House by the Cemetery (DVD)
Anchor Bay are to be commended for releasing classics by directors like Fulci and Argento, even more so for presenting clean transfers (not counting ZOMBIE), in the fullest uncut versions, AND IN THE ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO.
HOUSE's transfer really shows off Fulci's ability to create a magnificent atmosphere, and is evident of his mastery of composition in the 'scope format.
The film is one of Fulci's best. It isn't as volcanic as THE BEYOND, but it's probably just as brilliant. It forsakes the Surrealist logic of the former film, it doesn't jump abstractly from one seemingly unconnected moment to the next, and is far more linear in its story telling. But that is not to say that HOUSE shirks the weird nightmare qualities: it just builds up to them a little mre slowly. By the end you'll still feel as though you've been taken into another strange world. The story itself isn't anything special; it plays on certain archetypes of the haunted house flick and the zombie in the cellar set piece. But what elevates this film above such popular classics as NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, the slightly overrated LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE and others is Fulci's total command of the formal aspects of cinema. The visuals and sounds are unlike anything else.
Almost every image in the film is beautiful and melancholy. At times the film has the oneiric quality of dreams and nightmares. Fulci composes his images as a painter would. The link between Fulci's cinema and painting is heightened by the motif of the ghosts in the painting, as the line between the corporeal (the physical world) and the ethereal (the world of ghosts associated with the painting)is blurred until it is obliterated in the haunting finish. Many people will find the atmosphere too depressing, but it enhances the film's power.
I must also comment on the music. It perfectly complemented the imagery, and is truly eerie. The acting is good, too, especially Ania Peroni as a weirdo babysitter. The close ups of her eyes are unsettling.
Overall, I would highly recommend this for people interested in Euro horror, because this is one of the finest examples. Also, people interested in formalism and poetic cinema combined with horror will also be impressed. It is not for all tastes. It won't satisfy gore hounds because there are only three or four scenes of pure horror. But it's still great.

4.0 out of 5 stars A B-Horror Classic, July 19, 2005
One of many (somewhere in the blur) - See all my reviews
House By The Cemetery is another fine film that is often missed among horror lovers. While it's not a masterpiece, it is a very satisfying killer flick.

Trimming down the movie's plot to it's essentials, HBTC presents the story of the horrifying legend of a man, Dr. Freudstein, who has been living in the basement of a creepy house for many years -- surviving off of the cells of living humans he captures. The Boyle family, who've just moved into the house, are the most recent unlucky bunch to meet the zombie Doctor and face his diabolical intentions. Will they escape? Or will they just become a few more bodies in Freudstein's mass grave of a laboratory?

Fulci attempts to throw in a little "twist" for the ending, and I suppose he succeeds, even though I, for one, was a little confused by the ending. It seems interesting, but the meaning of it is not too clear. Nonetheless, you can be assured that even if you miss any underlying cleverness, you should still be able to enjoy this good old-fashioned piece of horror. The only complaint I have is of the english overdubs. I warn you: the vocal actors are horrible. But hopefully you can ignore it and only use it as hate for the victims. Mwahahahaha...

5.0 out of 5 stars Way cool!! Fulci did it again!, June 5, 2002
The house by the cementery is a horror movie of mine taste!
It contains lots of blood and gore, and it is pretty scary to.
If you are afraid of basements and darkness, you wount get any sleep in the last two months.
The story is well made and fx are very good. The acting may not be perfect and the people in the film are realy stupid.
After two have get killed in the house and there are dryed blood on the kitchenfloor next morning, they just klean it up and dont get suspicius.When you se the film for the first time you will think like "Who is it that cryes like a five year old kid down from the besement?" "Who is Dr.Freudstein??" "Who are is this little girl that play with the boy???" and you abslolutely will wounder "Who is the killer?" well..why don't you find out?
I recomand this mountion picture on DvD cause it is uncut and in Wide-screen and the sound are refreshed.

The House by the Cemetery [Blu-ray]
The House by the Cemetery [Blu-ray] by Lucio Fulci (Blu-ray - 2011)
$29.98 $17.78