4.0 out of 5 stars good read
I thought this was a good read for a free kindle book. There were errors in spelling, but I have found that to be true with pretty much all kindle books. This story was interesting. I have never seen the movie but I will now. Considering the time period it was written in I thought it was interesting. The plot kept me reading.
Published on August 21, 2011 by dgh

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbled
I started reading the Kindle version of this last night, and I regret to report that the prologue has several completely garbled sentences as well as some incorrect punctuation. If the whole book is like this, it will be unreadable.

Sloppy work, Rosetta Books. Sloppy.

Published on August 16, 2011 by James Donahue

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbled, August 16, 2011
This review is from: The House of Dr. Edwardes (RosettaBooks Into Film) (Kindle Edition)

Sloppy work, Rosetta Books. Sloppy.

UPDATE: I left a lengthy example of this in comments, but it probably makes sense to put it here, too, as you can't read comments on the Kindle:

"Sometimes the road midday when it appeared. We were turning a corner and I saw a big notice stuck out on the cliff with 'Gorge du Diable' written on it. The Devil, by the went through tunnels. It was most exciting. I suppose it must have been about way, is pretty frequent in these parts. He has gorges and rocks and chimneys in every direction."

That goes beyond minor misspellings, which I don't like, but can live with. I have no idea what this passage is supposed to mean.

I've notified Amazon of this, so maybe it will be corrected.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, August 21, 2011
dgh (new Orleans) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, hope the movie is better, August 27, 2011
Fly Guy (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
I had never heard of the book or the Hitchcock movie based on the book, but it was free so downloaded it to the Kindle. As another reviewer pointed out, there is some garbled text. But that is not the author's fault.

The writing style seems typical of the 1920s and 30s: slow, lengthy, and overwrought. For that, 3 stars only. Rather disappointing that the "trick" in the plot is given away before the trick is actually sprung.

One reviewer says this book is better than the movie. That's usually the case, but it seems a perfect plot for a movie, and could be done better than the book. I hope Hitchcock in fact does so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Creepy!, December 19, 2013
I read this because I am a big Hitchcock movie fan. While this is significantly different than Spellbound, it is very good. I can see why Hitchcock turned it into a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 3, 2013
The book arrive on my Kindle. It was crystal clear. Thanks for your prompt delivery to my Kindle. I love receiving new books on my Kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, November 20, 2012
Excellent storyline. Timeless

characters captivate and hold the reader,s interest would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars A minnor classic., September 13, 2012
By now, the twist premise (which I'm not going to spoil for you) has been so overused that it doesn't seem strong enough to carry a novel alone, but the first two-thirds are still a classic example of keeping things ominous without obviously telegraphing all of what's going on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book The house of Dr Edwardes, April 23, 2012
It was an easy read and but felt the content was alittle amateurish. Would have enjoyed it more if it had more mystery to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors, December 9, 2011
I slogged my way through this book even though the errors referenced by other reviewers annoyed the heck out of me. I find it hard to believe this inspired Hitchcock, but oh well, I guess it did. I like a good mystery and a good scare, but this was neither for me...

3.0 out of 5 stars The House of Dr. Edwardes, November 15, 2011
I thought this was funny, interesting, and intriguing. It's more of a light read but still has it's "mystery" to keep you wanting to read more. A little short (I'd like to seen more "book") but was worth the time!

Rate and Discover Movies