House of Gold & Bones Part 2
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$10.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 9, 2013
Format: Audio CD
Chances are, you're already a fan of HoGaB Pt. 1 if you're reading this review. I can tell you for certain that this album goes above and beyond the already amazing beginning to this story. As a whole, double concept albums have not held a great reputation. Corey Tayor and Co. have in my opinion set new standards to how a dual album should pan out.

Starting with the intense build-up of "Red City", this track without a doubt sets the tone for the rest of the album. Yes it is darker, however you're always able to see the silver lining in the clouds and hope within.

"Black John" is a song about one of the antagonists of the story. Its an excellent track with some amazing drumming and of course the catchy chorus Stone Sour almost always delivers.

"Sadist" is one of the darker, yet not heavier, tracks on the album. Amazing singing by Corey, you can feel the emotion he is portraying from the point of view from the protagonist of the story.

"Peckinpah" is definitely a stand-out track to me. The build-up to the chorus is absolutely intense!! The blast beats of the drums mixed with Mr. Taylor's aggressive vocals that deliver us into a clean and emotional chorus blow me away every time I hear it.

"Stalemate" to me compares with the likes of the tune "Tired" from part one. It most definitely sounds to me like the most radio-friendly song on the album. Its not to say that its a bad song by any means, but it probably stands out the least of all the others to me.

"Gravesend" sounds like old Stone Sour in the fact of its sheer heaviness and dark undertones. This probably has to be the darkest songs on the album. The lyrics are what makes it though. The story alone in this song alone tells us the battle of good and evil our protagonist faces.

"'82" is also one of the more radio-friendly tracks on the album. This one stands out to me more than "Stalemate" does. The guitar work is top notch and the chorus is absolutely astounding. It isn't at all a dark song, it conveys more hope and positivity than any other on the album.

"The Uncanny Valley" sounds like one of the more experimental tracks. The guitar work sound like nothing you've heard on a Stone Sour album thus far.

"Blue Smoke" serves as a creepy and forbearing intermission and a perfect intro track to our next song.

"Do Me a Favor" is something I'm sure you all have heard by now. You know it's already a blasting mad tune. I didn't much care for it at first, but it is now one of my top tracks by this band.

"The Conflagration" is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard before. Starting with just piano and drums mixed with Corey Taylors' amazing voice, this song unfolds into the best track on this album. I am personally not the biggest fan of their slower songs and ballads, but this one without a doubt is the golden child.

"The House of Gold and Bones" is a grand finale indeed. Starting with the chant, "RU486" which I'm sure you're familiar with, this song has everything and more in it that you love in Stone Sour. Aggression, catchy chorus, a great solo, and overall amazing quality are the best words I can use to describe it.

All in all, get this album right now. You have my word that if you're already a huge fan of Corey Taylor, then this album will not disappoint you. The real treat for me was the way that certain songs link directly back to some that are on the first part. I'll leave it to you to find which ones they are. You'll be grinning from ear to ear when you discover them.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2013
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I have only discovered Stone Sour a couple years ago when I heard their single "Say You'll Haunt Me" on the radio and I enjoyed it. I looked into them and have enjoyed many of their songs since. More recently I purchased HoGaB pt. 1 and compeletly enjoyed it, great hooks, great lyrics, and terrific instrumentation on thatr record. This half lives up to the anticipation thrust upon it after a brilliant part 1. It is darker, doesn't quite have the diversity that the first record has but it has much heavier, catchier riffs and more difficult instrumentation and in my opinion, more compelling lyrics to end the series of two. I shall now do a song by song review with a few words describing my decision.

1. "Red City" 9/10 - A dark ballad to begin the record, it really is a beautifully twisted song, the lyrics are brilliant but lacks a distinct melody which might upset fans but I think it's a terrific song.

2. "Black John" 10/10 - Such a catchy verse, the classic cymbal/bass beat creates this almost dance-like song. The lyrics are compelling, the guitar riff is infectious, one of the highlights of the record.

3. "Sadist" 10/10 - The longest song on the record clocking in at just over five minutes, the lyrics are brilliant, a slower song but nevertheless incredible.I particularly love the chorus, it's just darkly intelligent.

4. "Peckinpah" 10/10 - Another incredibly dark and heavy song but it succeeds with terrific lyrics, the chorus is heavy and epic, I just love this song for what it is. The riff in the bridge is just fantastic, simplistic but effective, the guitar solo is mind-bending, I love it.

5. "Stalemate" 10/10 - This is a song that would have worked well on the first part, an acoustic intro and a heavy metal riff follows. It's very catchy, has a thrashy edge and the chorus is catchy, the screams are well placed, and once again, the lyrics are amazing.

6. "Gravesend" 10/10 - Very dark, the heaviest song out of the two records. The lyrics are brilliant, the darkened screams are suprising (especially when the volume is fully up) but effective. The chorus is not my favorite but does a good job telling the story. The guitar solo is great by the way, a great song.

7. "82" 10/10 - The intro riff is original, it's just a classic stone sour song, great riffs and great words to compliment it. The chorus is really catchy, the guitar solo is short but effective (it's a reprise from the first record), it's just another great song.

8. "The Uncanny Valley" 8/10 - A slower song, more of a post-grunge sounding song (which is one of my least favorite genres of music). The best thing about this song is the chorus, incredibly catchy. The guitar solo is cool and is a reprise from the previous record. The acoustic guitars add something to the song, it's hard to say. I think it's a matter of opinion, listen for your self.

9. "Blue Smoke" 8/10 - A short electronic intro to "Do Me A Favor", it's really interesting, it's mysteriously haunting with some strings are strange sound effects, that's all I want to say.

10. "Do Me A Favor" 10/10 - A catchy, radio friendly song, the first single of the record. It's really great, I loved it from the first moment I heard it on the radio. The best part of the song in my opinion is the reprise towards the ending of "A Rumor of Skin" but other highlights are the verses and the guitar solo.

11. "The Conflagration" 10/10 - It's a beautiful song with a piano played by Corey. The lyrics are beautiful, the chorus is one of the best on the records, probably my favorite. It's a great song, one that you need to listen to for yourself.

12. "The House of Gold and Bones" 11/10 - Brilliant ending, from the chanting of RU486 to the heavy riffs to the pounding drums, everything is amazing. It takes many elements from "Absolute Zero" on the first record but really holds its on, it's amazing, great ending to a great record.

It's a great record, buy it for yourself for a friend, for anybody. I highly recommend it, my favorite tracks are: The House of Gold and Bones, Sadist, Black John, and Stalemate.
on April 12, 2013
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
WHAT?! Not a 5-star review?! HEATHEN!!!

Hold on, friend. Let me explain. I hold Stone Sour in pretty high regard, so it pains me to have to criticize their work. As much as it hurts, though, I cannot give high praise where high praise is not due.

Back when House of Gold & Bones Part 1 (HoG&B Pt. 1 from here on out) came out I was excited, but I tempered my expectations because Corey's prediction that this two-part concept album would be "Pink Floyd's The Wall meets Alice in Chains' Dirt on steroids" seemed just a little bit lofty. As I expected, HoG&B Pt. 1 fell short of the unattainable. I still enjoyed it, though, and I ended my review of that album by stating I was optimistic Part 2 would leave me satisfied. Well... not quite.

"Red City" starts HoG&B Pt. 2 in the right direction as it transforms from a mellow vocal over piano into a signature Corey Taylor harsh-vocal amidst snarling guitars. Then, as so often was the case on HoG&B Pt. 1, the album takes a big step backwards with "Black John," a snoozer reminiscient of "My Name is Allen" from the first album. This track utilizes an annoying (and seemingly pointless) sample at the beginning, which is a recurring thing in the HoG&B experience. None of the samples add much to the music, but their inclusion does provide a very distant similarity to The Wall, which is what Taylor was probably going for.

Next up is "Sadist," a dark, imposing track that features a filthy interlude from guitarist Jim Root. "Sadist" is one of the few tracks that stands out immediately; it gives way to "Peckinpah," which is unexciting except for one cool riff midway through. "Stalemate" and "Gravesend" follow with more boring guitars, average lyrics, and another dose of those annoying samples. "'82" is fun but not memorable. At the eighth spot on the album "The Uncanny Valley" shows up. This track is easily the worst on the album with its weak hook and stock lyrics. Fortunately, "Blue Smoke" deviates from the previous tracks and does some interesting things musically. Taylor's haunting vocals only make it better, and though it really serves as an intro to "Do Me A Favor," it is still worthwhile.

Already a hit single, "Do Me A Favor" is similar to "Absolute Zero" in that it is the catchiest song on its half of the concept dual-album. Near the end it changes direction and flashes back to "A Rumor of Skin" from HoG&B Pt. 1, which only enhances its value. Surprisingly, "Do Me A Favor" ends up being one of the best tracks on the album. "The Conflagration" is another standout. It cleverly wraps up the repetitious lyrical them of, you guessed it, fire/conflagration found on both albums, and Taylor provides what might be his best vocal on the album. Musically, there is a lot going on as well. Orchestral arrangements underlie piano and multiple guitars. It leads directly into the title track, which is by far my favorite track from either album. "House of Gold & Bones" is classic Stone Sour: fast, angry, and catchy. While it includes musical themes from "Absolute Zero," it also reminds me of material from Come What(ever) May. "House of Gold & Bones" fittingly concludes the two-part experience with a bang.

In the end, the House of Gold & Bones experience is solid. I love concept albums, but they have to be done carefully. The awesome thing about a concept album is that some of the really cool riffs and melodies usually recur throughout the experience (think Dream Theater's Awake, or really any of their work). The awful thing about concept albums is that the boring parts might also show up repeatedly, leaving the listener no avenue of escape. HoG&B Pt. 2 is a mixed bag in this regard. While I greatly enjoyed the last handful of tracks on HoG&B Pt. 2, there are too many uninteresting riffs and lyrics in the middle tracks for me to really get into this album. In that sense, it is a lot like HoG&B Pt. 1, which was also plagued by boring moments. As I said in my review of that album, Stone Sour will not make many new fans with this two-part effort, but they certainly won't lose any either. The House of Gold & Bones experience caters to the fans, so I understand why people like both albums. I do, too. I just don't love them, and that is why I have to give both parts of the House of Gold & Bones experience a mediocre three star rating.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2013
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Hard rock to soft rock transition masters. And there's a storyline in the lyrics... check out the comics. Very thankful this side project stayed the course.
on May 4, 2013
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This album has to be by far one of my most favorite albums. The songs are so well done and the way some of the songs directly correlate with other songs from part one make the album that much better. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who loves rock, hard rock or metal. Stone Sour is amazing!
on February 20, 2015
Format: MP3 MusicVerified Purchase
Two words.....Cory Taylor......
Format: Audio CD
All I can say is Corey Taylor is the s***! Im going to keep this short and sweat. I really dont care for music these days that has a bunch of singing, Im more into heavy riffs, and the instruments doing the work. You know bands like Tool and Trivium. This guy actually has the nerve to sing his ass off and boy can he sing! Holly s***! I can listen to these albums over and over! Bravo! Bravo!
on May 13, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I like this CD. I bought Part 1 and Part 2 at the same time. Love listening to these in my car.
on April 17, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
love Stone Sour great CD keep making more albums and I guess I will have to buy them all lol
on April 9, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This is really an excellent album and is my favorite from Stone Sour to date. It integrates well with part 1 and they really belong on the same playlist. If you like Stone Sour, you will love this album.