5.0 out of 5 stars I'm here to defend a continuously amazing show...
Published on June 25, 2011 by Nathan A. Olson

2.0 out of 5 stars Self Destruction
A case can be made that over the arc of the show we have been watching a self destructive character completing his goal. In the early seasons, however, House and his writers still maintained a sort of backward humanity you couldn't help but enjoy and admire.
Published on January 14, 2012 by Fred Eder

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm here to defend a continuously amazing show..., June 25, 2011
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
The relationship between House and Cuddy has been coming, and in season seven it is here. Many have complained about the writer's not doing justice to the relationship. And that is where I strongly disagree. The writers have created a character from season 1 who has been damaged beyond repair. Every relationship with any woman, whether it be Stacy, or even Cameron, has failed. I don't think it could have been more in character the way everything played out this year. Who really expected the relationship between House and Cuddy to be all kisses and hugs? Knowing what you do about the character, you know that this is incredible growth: the act of trying to be with her. But, there is only so much our damaged doc can offer. Whether or not that is enough is something I'll let you watch and see.

(up above is spoiler free, down below is the review for those who have seen the season. If you haven't I suggest reading the above paragraph and stopping)

Let's get into the fabric of this season. It is all about change, all about House trying to be happy. In the first episode "what now" he tells Cuddy they shouldn't be together because he'll eventually do something to make her leave him. In different words it's what he says to Stacy before breaking it off with her in season 2. He knows he is damaged. He knows that anyone who gets close to him will eventually leave. Cuddy becomes an exception to this rule... for 15 episodes, and then like everyone else leaves him.
I blame Cuddy for what ultimately ends the season. She kept pushing House to let out his feelings, even after (in many ways) she tore out what was left of his heart. No one can say that House wasn't trying in the relationship. He was trying a lot harder than Cuddy. The fact that she ended it over one slip up shows that she never really wanted it to begin with. She took advantage of him in his most vulnerable state, and went for something she didn't fully want. I feel she was lucky that she only lost part of her house because of it. A lot worse could have happened. House was not House driving that car up her yard and through her dining room. That House was years of anger manifesting, possessing him to do something he never would have done otherwise.
As a huge fan of the show, I feel a need to defend the negative reviews. If you are a casual viewer, go back to the beginning and start this incredible story from the pilot on. Let me talk about the negative reviews. Critics and fans alike attack the ending of the season, saying "House could have killed Rachel. He didn't know where she was, and for that reason I find the character now unwatchable," or "House has jumped many sharks, but this is the biggest" which by the way is the most overused term in the world. It's an argument with some weight to it. But, I have a better one. As I said above, in that moment it was the anger manifesting. That wasn't the House of season 1 or even earlier season 7. That was a House trying to pick up the pieces of what was left of his life, only to have them knocked out of his hands over and over again. In many ways I think that's the point of the ending of the season. He has gone too far. He has cut ties with everyone close. If he returns, won't he do time in jail? Won't he lose his medical license?
To answer those questions, I'll say this. I have absolute faith in these writers to take us to the next point in House's journey. It will be realistic, in character, and must watch tv. According to Hugh Laurie, season 8 is probably the final season. Why would you jump ship now? See it to the end. Maybe you'll appreciate the show for what it's always been: nothing short of amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Quality Season--3.5 to 4 Stars, April 12, 2011
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
Update: I just saw a pre release screener of episode one of series 8 of HOUSE. I sat there stunned afterwards. It was totally different from anything I was expecting. Hugh Laurie does his usual outstanding acting job. Every other cast member is someone new because he is serving out a prison sentence. I'm not sure what this is. Is it a dream or a psychotic break due to more drug ingestion? I have no idea. It seems fairly real but I'm just not sure. It seems weird that not even Wilson visits him. I know a lot of viewers are not tuning in for season 8 because season 7 was so bizarre, especially the ending. If you are one of these viewers, you may want to reconsider that position.

My original review, filed before above rant:

I am a fan of this show from day one. I am a Hugh Laurie fan from back when no one knew who he was, when he was playing Bertie Wooster with his comedy partner Stephen Fry as Jeeves. Big a fan as I am though, I have to say the quality has been all over the map this season. If you asked me whether to buy it, I'd say "maybe" and caution you that the whole thing might be no more than 3.5 stars.

I still think he is the best thing in the show. There is no one else even close to giving him a run for the money. No one else has his range. His supporting cast varies in how much one can stand of them. Taub's "problems" for me this season have been a real turn off. His problems are all self created and he whines about them constantly. The other three supporting doctors en suite score a little higher with, surprisingly, the new one, Amber Tamblyn, scoring the best. The other two just don't have much to work with this season and overall come off a bit blah.

Faring much better than the team are both Cuddy and Wilson. I enjoyed both of their roles this season. Cuddy tries to handle House as her boyfriend and her mother as a patient. Some of the best episodes are with these two, with Candace Bergen as the mother going to head to toe with House. Wilson is back on the singles market after more problems on the romance front. He and House are well cut out for one another as they are both disasters when it comes to women. For entirely different reasons they wreck up but they are disasters nonetheless. I know many people HATE this aspect of the show but frankly I give the writers credit for trying to explore and get underneath a real problem for many doctors: the inability to form lasting marriages.

Many of the cases are not interesting this season. In fact, often when they went to work on their cases I found myself rooting around for something else to keep me occupied until the show got interesting again. Perhaps the cases got so esoteric and remotely plausible that I had about as much interest in them as House (hardly any). House is often out of the office doing something else while the team has to phone him for advice. I can understand why he is bored with the whole thing but the problem is that the viewer shouldn't be!

House has some very cute episodes with Rachel and the school Rachel aspires to attend. I didn't expect to enjoy those but I did. This was yet another example of House being better outside of the hospital.

All of these shows have a natural cycle and it could be that everyone is just running out of something interesting to do with these characters. Seven years is a long time to last in series network tv. It could be that the well is just running dry creatively and there is not much creative life left in the show.

The very last episode of this season was the best one. In it, Hugh Laurie conveys a moment of sheer distilled rage with absolute mastery. It is triggered by devastating emotional loss which he conveys almost wordlessly. No one else in the cast is capable of this kind of acting which is why he remains the whole show.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

5.0 out of 5 stars House Does Not Disappoint, August 3, 2011
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
I'm a HUGE House fan, I own all the seasons and I never miss the show on T.V. I realize that this season was a little different than past seasons, but its because House and Cuddy were dating and they had to show House's "softer side". You know the writers had this coming for us, they had to creatively show House as himself, as well as someone who actually cares about something or someone. I feel for the storyline of season 7, they did an awesome job. House is still an ass, the relationship kept the storyline interesting, and the patient cases were still interesting mysteries. The only thing I would suggest about this show is give House more clinic duty! That part always cracks me up. I don't believe this season has gone downhill at all, especially when you see the season finale!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still House after all these years, December 11, 2011
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
It's always interesting to read the one-star reviews of a popular show. At the time I am writing this there are ten. One is from a troll and two are from people dissatisfied with the purchase and the packaging respectively, neither of whom mention the show. The other seven are from people who all claim to be fans of 'House' who say that this season is so bad it only deserves one star. Hey, folks- it's the same show. The cast is largely the same, the writers, directors and producers are the same. The show didn't suddenly go from the best thing on TV to a one-star show. House is still House after all these years and if you want to substitute 'crazy' for 'House', that would be equally true.

This season has highs and lows like every other season. I enjoyed some episodes very much, others somewhat less. The introduction of Martha Masters was successful; the episode 'Last Temptation' was one of the best of the season (and incidentally gave Wilson the rare opportunity to deliver the funniest line of the episode). 'Fall From Grace' was also a great episode with a real twist in the tail. I didn't care for the penultimate episode very much, just too dark for me, but the last episode delivered a suitable punch for the series conclusion.

This isn't my favorite season of 'House', but it's still a very good show. I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen next season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very different, but worth owning, August 3, 2011
Amy Trek (Southeastern USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
I've been a House fan since Season 1. That being said, the character has gone through a lot of transition over the last several years. The negative reviews of this season are not warranted; it is different from the others, but still an important part of the House saga, if you are a real fan. In real life, there are periods of time that are not as interesting, not as productive, and off the "norm". These periods of time still add to the "bigger picture". This is how I view this season...if you love the character, and have been watching the growth, (and fallback), of him; this is important.
I recommend, if you are a true House fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Self Destruction, January 14, 2012
Fred Eder (Anthem, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
If their point was that a person can not be entirely self absorbed and long survive, they've made that point. But, in doing so, they have also taken away any sense of entertainment left in the series.
While we began with a Sherlock Holmes sort of brilliance in solving medical mysteries, we have been left with almost no mysteries to solve, and the show has become concerned with the various sex lives of its characters. It has lost its penetrating moral dilemmas and become a portrait of a ruined man. Like the performance artist in the finale, it is self absorbed and almost entirely devoid of actual art.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maturity in baby steps, February 23, 2011
phoenix (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
House - is growing - he is learning about how to be in a relationship. Bravo! This type of turn is what keeps his character interesting and vibrant - I couldn't have continued to be his fan if he didn't grow and change - something we all need to be doing in order to have a life worth living!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Relationship Oriented Opening Episode, September 21, 2010
This wasn't a bad episode by any means. However, they tackled something very difficult in taking the House character and having him be in love. I give the creators a lot of credit for doing this. It certainly is a radical departure for series television. Usually ten seasons of unrequited love is the norm. I do hope the drama, scathing wit and baffling cases are back next week. I don't know if I can handle a whole season of a softer, gentler House M.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo! He's Back to His Old Scathing, Brilliant Self, September 29, 2010
Whew....I am glad to report that I can stay with House. He has not gone all soft, gentle and sappy. Well, he has with Cuddy but he's himself with everyone else. They now are working on establishing a working relationship too. They try being nicer to one another at work and you can imagine the problems that creates! An interesting case is before the team as well plus a family facing an impossible choice. Glad to have you back, House.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ended in failure, March 8, 2012
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 7 (DVD)
When I first watched this season, I was extremely disappointed at the drop off in quality. (Season 6 after the first episode was the beginning of the end for me really.) In the first half of the season, the Cuddy/House relationship became an unbearable distraction. This second half of this season was ruined by the destruction of the House and Cuddy characters as we had known them. It was just plain bizarre. Cuddy was ruined. No wonder the actress, Lisa Edelstein, left. I give it 2 1/2 stars for the first few episodes.

House, M.D.: Season 7
House, M.D.: Season 7 by Hugh Laurie (DVD - 2011)
$59.98 $12.96