Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on October 18, 2007
I read this book at the age of 18 (well over 30 years ago) and have not been able to forget it. It captured my attention from the first page and didn't let go until the end.

I've been looking for this book for years, wanting to read it again, and have finally bought it. There's not many books which remain with you all your life but this is one that does.

Imagine a world ruled by astrology. All marriage unions are based on the compatability of each person's astrological sign. This is about a couple who went against all rules and married, having 7 daughters, (I think). The couple (I don't remember what happened to them) separate somehow and their children are separated and given false horoscopes (like birth certificates here).

One daughter, needs to find out about her family and finds more than she expected when she hires a specialist on such matters.

I have read many books which have captured my imagination, but none which have stayed in my heart like this one. If you have a chance, buy this book and read it. You won't regret it.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2005
If this is the book I am thinking of, it takes place on a world like earth but different. It is a world of Astrology and your sign that you were born under is very important. This is a book of murder, romance mystery and suspence. I recommend it highly!
on October 25, 2010
I read this book for the first time years ago, And read it and read it and read it! It finally fell apart. How can we convince the publishers to re-release this? I like it a lot but not enough to pay $68 for a used paperback. Anyone know who to contact to get out of print books re-published? This is a fun read, not deep, just a romance. But I would love to read it again.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2011
I loved this book when I read it the first 15 times. Now my copy is all ragged. If they can reprint some of the crap that is coming out - why can't they reprint some of the really good stuff. With the popularity of paranormal romance this would be a best seller right now, so bring it back.
on February 10, 2013
Although this book has the copyright of 1975 and a rather dull book blurb, I remembered it long after I read it. Why? It can't be for its back cover:
The reign of ordinary passions is at an end; The Age of Aquarius is over. The fate of six sisters lies in the House of Scorpio, where they are brought together by forces beyond their control-written in the stars and over the human heart. Haven of Horror, Haven of Love! Scorpio.

Whew! This is exactly the feverish, melodramatic schtick we would expect from early 1970's romances (Gothic Novels!). So the real surprise is opening up the book and finding six exquisitely wrought stories inside, one for each of the six sisters. (Oddly each story is almost exactly 100 pages long). And the heroines were genuine, fully drawn, and capable. Ara was a tutor (today's professor), Vena was a governess (today's grade school teacher), Claire was a nurse (never out of style!), Celene was a housekeeper (today's property manager), Meni was an artist (timeless), and Cybele was a..hum..I can't remember what she did.

Anyway, the first mystery is that all the sisters do not know they are sisters...they have been separated at birth but all have a small necklace of a scorpion. Actually, I take that back, two of the sisters have found each other but not one of them know why they were separated and who the other sisters are. The author, Pat Wallace, slowly peoples her world (Zodiaca) with as many layers as today's "immortal series" or "Buffy" or any other paranormal book you care to crack open. Only Pat Wallace did it almost forty years ago.

The reason I remembered the book was that we are kept hooked by such questions as: Will the sisters be reunited? Will they find their proper loves (Claire takes the longest and roller-coasters us through love found and lost and found)? Who are their parents? Why is the old world referred to as Terran and why did it get replaced with Zodiaca? Is it possible the stars have more to do with our destinies than we realize? In this new world can we trust the usual physical senses or has the mind evolved? We even get a bonus appendix in the back explaining the "astrocaces of Zodiaca": the Ignicians (Fire people), the Terrans (yes, Earth people), the Etherians (Air people), and the Fluidians (Water). In this appendix we are told such things as "All Fluidians have black hair with highlights like the color of abalone and gray-green eyes"). I fell in love with the sisters because they were MYSTERIOUS, each elementally different, the settings and technology exotic, but with the standard gorgeous males and possibility of sex in the air. Actually, there are no lurid love scenes (damnit!) but the tone was oddly endearing anyway and I didn't resent not knowing what went on inside the bedroom.

Astrology is perhaps one of our most enduring fantasies and Pat Wallace was a deft storyteller, neither hammering us with too much astrology nor withering us under a hail of gothic verbiage. Oh sure, some of the descriptions and writing are dated (governesses for real? traveling with suitcases? gorgeous pantsuits...truly a 1970's fashion hit), the book is rather long at 612 pages, and my own copy has those hideous yellowing pages that come from crappy paper stock, but I think the story deserves a fresh new audience and I think that Avon or some other publisher should reprint it. My own copy says $1.95 but I paid over $50.00 for it at a used book store. You would think that if nothing else, the new digital publishers would pick it up and run with it.
on February 15, 2014
I found this at a bookstore over 20 years ago for a quarter...loved it and kept it for years to reread again and again ( never gets old ) about 2 years ago I brought a bunch of books to the used book store and accidently got rid of it...didn't realize for over a year what I had just 6 months ago I began to try and find has had 2 from hippo books on here for quite a while for $99 each...well today they marked them down to $46 and I got one ( the other was already gone ) so YAY !!! I am so happy...I called harper books ( who bought avon books) just 3 days ago and after many transfers over the phone I was put thru to the avon department...I talked at length to them about republishing this book...the lady I talked to said she promised to bring it up at the next meeting, and she said it was possible that they may do it, when she tells them that there are thousands of people wanting this I hope I helped...if they republish I will buy a few extra copies for myself...and 2 months ago ebay had one buy it now for $8.50 and when I went back to get it, it was gone...hopefully someone will be that foolish again LOL
on August 26, 2010
With so many earlier Avon romances being reprinted, it's a shame that "House of Scorpio" isn't one of them. If it were being published today, it'd be a futuristic or paranormal. It was truly ahead of its time; I've owned two copies and read them both until the covers fell off.

The story takes place in a far-off country called Zodiaca, where six sisters live separate lives, the only clue to their past a golden scorpion necklace they all possess. In each part of the story each heroine begins her duties(nurse, governess, housekeeper, secretary, etc.)in a new enviroment, faces intrigue and danger, and meets her hero, who is always her astrological opposite. The book's twice as much fun if you share one of the heroine's signs--and you might find yourself wishing you had another heroine's sign, too! The plot is fast-paced and the world-building and settings wonderful, and at over 500 pages, it's a long, satisfying read. And there's a gorgeous foldout poster of the sisters.

Romance fans, READ THIS. It's a definite keeper!
on June 12, 2011
I too read this book at 18 and loved it then & now as well! It is TRULY a unique concept of paranormal romance in a futuristic earth-like world based on Astrology and zodiac signs--in relation to the topography of this world! I'm a romance reader and while some of the terms are now outdated (Telex machine as opposed to Email, etc.,)but it is beloved to me still! I would love to know more about Pat Wallace and if she is still writing. I can find no current information on her! This is a great work of creativity as well as masterpiece of sweet romance. LOVE IT!
on July 6, 2011
My sister had this book years ago and I read it and loved it. Then I accidently spilled something on it, so I looked for several years for a used version. I found one at a used book store for $1.00 and that was about 15 years ago. Now years later, I was looking for the book to buy again. I would love to read it again. I can't believe how expensive the book is now and it is used. That is dissappointing. It was one of the best books I have ever read but I don't think it is worth $56.00. Wish they had a cheaper copy.
on March 30, 2010
I read this book when I was fourteen, I remember hiding it so my mother wouldn't find it because one of the characters was topless on the inside cover. Fire sign women aren't treated well in this book, but the rest of the signs will adore it. The author has to be an air,earth or water sign. Its a well done astrological mystery, and would stand by itself if the hundreds of astrological references were taken out.