5.0 out of 5 stars "THE" Greatest 3D Movie Ever Made! (the Blu-Ray 3D version)
Published 13 months ago by Neil_S

1.0 out of 5 stars movie good, DVD BAD!
Published on February 5, 2004 by just some guy

5.0 out of 5 stars "THE" Greatest 3D Movie Ever Made! (the Blu-Ray 3D version), October 3, 2013
I was a teenager when I saw this movie in 3D (this was my 1st 3D movie). It was re-released in the early '70's and I fell in love with anything 3D. I would sit there flipping the glasses up & down amazed that these 2 images could make such a great looking 3D image. Warner Brothers did an "EXCELLENT" job with this transfer. This is how I remembered it. I will not report on the story as every review re-tells it. I want to report on the technical aspects of this movie.

Some are complaining about ghosting (also with Dial M For Murder) but I found that if you tilt the TV screen downwards the ghosting would disappear. If your TV does not tilt, stand up & you will see the difference. Some are complaining about it being grainy. This is probably the scene where Vincent Price is running after Phyllis Kirk in the fog. Yes it looks grainy because the Blu-Ray is so sharp you will see the graininess.
I am buying many 3D movies but none compare with these movies from the '50's. I also have "The Creature From The Black Lagoon", another great 3D movie. Still waiting for "It Came from Outer Space". I just hope that ALL the studios decide to put out their great backlog of '50's 3D movies. The new movies just don't compare. They look fake.
Again this movie is flawless. If you were waiting for a good reason to buy a 3D TV, this is it! This movie will do it for you.
My only wish was that they put it out with the 5.1 surround soundtrack. It is only DTS 2.0. Please note that this does NOT detract from the fabulous transfer.

Movie Studios, PLEASE release your backlogs (even the cartoons from that era, Bugs, Popeye etc.). Disney did a great job with "Working For Peanuts". There are MANY 3D buffs who can't wait for further releases.

Does not get better than this!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of Price's best films, October 8, 2004
This review is from: House of Wax (DVD)
This movie has wit, excellent pacing and a strong supporting cast (including a blonde Carolyn Jones "Morticia" from the Addams Family) and a small role for Charles Bronson (playing Igor and billed as Charles Buchinsky). Prince gets to be both understated and hammy in the brilliant film, that he is likely best know for.

It catches the atmosphere of the Gaslight period, and is lighting speed, as Price goes from a brilliant artist of life-like wax figures, to a scarred man, nearly killed by his partner wanting the insurance. He is forced to watch his two crowning glories, his Joan of Arc and his Marie Antoinette destroyed in the fire. With scared hands, he is forced to use bodies to fill his new house of wax, while Price also manages to meet out a little revenge to his former partner.

At first bodies are vanishing from the morgue, but when Price sees Jones - the living image of Joan of Arc - and Phyllis Kirk, his Marie Antoinette come to life in his mind - he knows he must possess the bodies of both women to see if greatest works recreated.

Is so spooky, and Kirk ably screams her way from one mishap to the next. Just does not get any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Awesome!, October 1, 2013
James Quirk (Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This is a movie I wanted to see in 3D all my life and Warner Home Video really delivered the goods with this Blu-ray 3D release.

The picture is sharp and detailed, the Warnercolor is beautiful, and the 3D effects are outstanding. The surround stereo is thrilling to hear, and really enhances the entire experience.

This is a much better presentation than Warner's "Dial M for Murder," which was released on 3D Blu-ray last year. Although I enjoyed watching that one, it suffered with heavy ghosting issues at times on my 3D Epson LCD projector. Such is not the case with "House of Wax," which is absolutely spectacular, one of those movies you're gonna want to show family and friends when they stop by.

If you were on the fence about buying this one, it's time to hop down and pay the piper. Congratulations to Warner Bros. for doing an outstanding restoration job on this classic, important piece of cinema history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 50s Gothic Horror Flick, October 11, 2004
Westley (Stuck in my head) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: House of Wax [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Horror films in the 1950s were often set in earlier times - including "House of Wax" - a gothic-styled thriller. Vincent Price stars, and this movie was his first of many, many horror films. He's perfect in this role, and it's puzzling why no one had cast him as this type of character before. He plays Prof. Henry Jarrod, a wax figure sculptor who's far too obsessed with his work. He's the head of an unsuccessful wax museum and watches in disgust as other museums make money by showing horror style wax figures, such as mass murderers. When his museum is burned to the ground, he re-emerges and seeks vengeance on persons responsible.

The film received a great deal of buzz as the second 3-D film released by a major studio ("Bwana Devil" was the first); not surprisingly, it was a major hit, becoming the 7th biggest money-maker of 1953. "House of Wax" was actually a remake of a 1933 film, "Mystery of the Wax Museum." In addition, a remake of this film is currently in the works, and should be released in 2005. One of the stars of the upcoming film is Paris Hilton, which should be interesting!

Although I prefer Castle's horror films from this period, Price alone makes this film worthwhile. Carolyn Jones ("Addams Family") is also fun as a kind harlot. Overall, the movie holds up pretty well, mostly because of its creepy tone. I saw the movie in 2-D but still enjoyed it quite a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars OLD-FASHIONED CHILLS AND THRILLS...., August 6, 2003
This review is from: House of Wax (DVD)
Five stars don't do this DVD justice. It's more than I hoped for. "House of Wax" is a wonderful time capsule of what going to the movies were about in the 50's. Technicolor and 3-D. The print is gorgeous on this disc and the sound is great---allowing the "terror music" full impact. A remake of 1933's "Mystery of the Wax Museum" (also included on the flip side), it's a full-blooded chiller done right. Never a dull moment. When an unscrupulous partner burns his prized wax collection for the insurance money, Prof.Jarrod (Vincent Price) survives and seeks revenge to recreate his creations. Set in turn-of-the-century New York, the gaslit streets never looked so sinister as a horribly burned black-cloaked man wrecks murderous mayhem and stalks the heroine Sue Allen (Phyllis Kirk) whom Jarrod wants for his wax recreation of Marie Antoinette. The men are one in the same, of course, as Jarrod has used his considerable skill to fashion a new face of wax and assembled an equally skilled crew of ex-cons to aid him in rebuilding his collection in a new show place called the "House of Wax". Charles Bronson is featured in an early role as a mute assistant to Jarrod and Carloyn Jones is memorable as Cathy, Sue's roommate, who falls victim to Jarrod and becomes his "Joan of Arc". Jones is delightful and shows the comic skill she would use later as Morticia Adams in TV's "The Addams Family". But of course, it's Price's show all the way. You can see why he was a natural for horror films...honing his florid style as Jarrod. The famous 3-D effects show through with the action aimed straight at the camera and that paddle ball man. But of some interest also is the "Intermission" that pops up on screen. This was never in any print of "House of Wax" I've ever seen. I loved it. But it's "Mystery of the Wax Museum" that I found a treat also. The print is remarkable---a few scratches here and there but overall a truly excellent print. I had never seen it before, it's been so rare. "House of Wax" follows it faithfully with only a few minor changes. Lionel Atwill and a lovely Fay Wray enact the mad wax artist and potential Marie Antoinette. It's in a clever early Technicolor process and features wonderful, cavernous sets and some racy dialogue like Glenda Farrell (as an aggressive reporter) asking a cop, "How's your sex life?" Just a hoot. Enjoy them both--"House of Wax" and "Mystery of the Wax Museum". A fabulous DVD package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding 3D, October 2, 2013
First of all I have to compliment Warner on their magnificent 3D work getting the same effects that if you were lucky enough to see back in the 50's at the theater. I was blown away especially by the guy playing paddle ball at the House of Wax. Of course Vincent Price was 5 star and the color was terrific on the restoration. I also enjoyed the bonus feature "Mystery of the Wax Museum". All in all it's worth the money. By the way, whoever stated that there were no subtitles is totally wrong!! Subtitles are shown not only in "House of Wax" but also in the "Mystery of the Wax Museum". For those of you who don't have 3D, Warner also included a 2D with the restoration but you really have to see this in 3D to appreciate the artistry of the director.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Film is a Must!, February 25, 2001
Jason Cabaniss (Shorewood, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Wax [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I saw this movie at my school in a somewhat theatre experience, but it was worth it. I wish that I could've seen this film in the original 3-D process, because then it would've been much better. But I thought that Vincent Price gave a really great performance as the mad curator of a wax museum that was burned down by his money hungry partner that wanted the insurance money. In a very creepy few minutes, all of the wax figures melt down as Vincent Price tries to get out. Then VIncent Price opens a wax museum that a woman recognises her friend as the Joan of Arc model. She then gets to suspecting, but we already know that Price uses real dead bodies for his models. I won't give away the ending, but I think that you must see this movie. Price is the best villan of all because he gives in more acting than anyone else in the film. I suggest that you see this movie because it shows 50's horror at its peak. Watch this movie. It shows Vincent Price when he first got into the horror market, which was made for him

5.0 out of 5 stars The House of Whacks, September 2, 2003
James H. Wilson (Newport News, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Wax (DVD)
In the tiny print on the "House of Wax" cover it says that you are also getting the 1933 classic, "Mystery of the Wax Museum." Which makes this DVD a great deal. The House of Wax is the classic 1950's remake of the Lionel Atwill/Fay Wray classic. Both movies are great and present great villians who stalk great beauties. They are equally eerie and scenic but the "Mystery of the Wax Museum" has the advantage of being pre-code which allows it to be saucy and even a little daring.
Both films have fantastic supporting casts. The Mystery... has the wise-cracking Glenda Farrell and House... has Frank Lovejoy and an early performance by the great/late Charles Bronson.
Both films have wonderful sets and fine mad sceintist's labs (well, insane wax modeler's museums) The Mystery...is also a nice example of early two strip technicolor process. Also both movies are presented in good clean, clear form. I applaud the company for using good master copies to create this DVD.
Halloween is coming and you need a good movie to watch. These films are two goodies from days gone by that are good to watch and hear. Lose youself in foggy streets and shadowy museums. They are of an age when masters created horror forms of wax and whacked-out disfigured artists created figures in boiling wax.

1.0 out of 5 stars movie good, DVD BAD!, February 5, 2004
This review is from: House of Wax (DVD)
I saw this movie on Turner Classic Movies, and it was beautiful looking and entertaining and atmospheric and I just LOVE Vincent Price. So to me it seemed a perfect idea to own this DVD. But I should have read more of the professional reviews about how awful the picture quality is. Too many reviewers on Amazon talk about how great the movie is (and it is), but we're supposed to also be reviewing the DVD itself. And I feel I must warn anyone who cares about good quality DVDs to STAY AWAY! This is one of the grainiest, blurriest and worst looking DVDs I've ever seen (not exaggerating). On first impression, even my wife said, "Why is that so grainy looking?" I had to tell her that it was the DVD. She was sure something was wrong with our player or the tv, because DVDs are NOT supposed to look like this. It didn't help that we had both recently seen the movie on TCM, where it was beautiful and crystal clear. So I have to ask: If TCM can show the movie in perfect condition, why can't the DVD do the same?

5.0 out of 5 stars House of Wax 3D, July 4, 2013
J. Rae (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
To be released on October 1st 2013.
This 1953 movie is coming to us in Blu-ray 3D and 2D and in full 1080P.
Extras are as follows;
"HOUSE OF WAX: Unlike Anything You've Ever Seen Before" ALL-NEW featurette available for the first time.
an Audio Commentary,
Newsreel,
Theatrical Trailer,
1933 Warner Bros. Feature Film: Mystery of the Wax Museum starring Lionel Atwill and Fay Wray.
2013 is a great year for Vincent Price fans.

House of Wax (1953)