House of Hades Book Discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 5:58:45 PM PDT
Kiba Rater says:
Once again there's been an end and a beginning. What do you think is in store?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 1:36:46 PM PDT
S. Reading says:
Is that the title of the next book?

I have to say it is bizarre to read a RR book with a cliffhanger...I guess I'm just used to him ending with each mini story before the next adventure begins. I liked MOA more then I thought I would. I was already a big Percy/ Annabeth fan and this books just makes me want to root for them all over again. At the end when he realizes he is not willing to let her go...that was heartbreaking. I hope RR realizes that at the end of this series they better be alive, whole and in tact couple or readers will rebel!

I hope RR sticks with the same pov's as this book. It is alittle confushiona nd you loose some of the momenteum when he keeps switching. Overall I really liked Annabeth/ Percy/ leo and Piper POVs. I'm sort of wondering if Jason steps up a little bit more in the next book and stops throwing himself a pitty party. I really liked him in the previous two. How many books are in this series again? 5?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:52:03 PM PDT
yeah 5 and i really liked that. The 4th book is called "The House of Hades".

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 2:58:21 PM PDT
I loved MoA and really can't wait for the next book. I got done reading it at around 2am Wenesday morning and I had to wake my wife up just to tell her how crazy the ending was. Though I have a question, does anyone else find it difficult explaining whats going on in the books to people who haven't read them?

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:08:24 PM PDT
Grant A. Imler - It is difficult. Especially if they have no idea about Greek mythology and are utterly clueless. But, i try my best to explain the whole thing.

I loved the book. I can't wait to see what the next prophecy is for House of Hades. Now i'm even certain someone will have to sacrifice themselves to close the Doors of Death. Biting my nails for Percy and Annabeth. I hope it's a smooth landing and i hate to know what visions Jason, Piper, Hazel, Leo, Frank, and Nico. Love that Nico is back and has apparently joined the quest by Percy's urging. Will definitely be a horrible wait for it... (A complete year!!!).... Oh well.. maybe Riordan will release something new now that the Kane's Chronicles is completed.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:56:13 PM PDT
I think the cliffhanger RR brought to us in this book is some fresh air we all need. All of the previous books had their own completed storyline, but this one seems like a stepping stone for the next 2 books, and The Lost Hero as well as The Son of Neptune were more like preludes. For the next book, I doubt Percy and Annabeth will die, but one of the others might, most likely Nico or Coach Hedge since they were not part of the prophecy.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 7:41:24 AM PDT
S. Reading says:
I'm actually thinking it will be Hazel who dies...since technically she already did die and was brought back to life by Nico.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 9:34:40 AM PDT
amy says:
I agree, I think either Hazel or Frank will die. Frank is being told too often that he's TOO gifted, and neither of them have POV chapters.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 7:19:00 PM PDT
mrs.story says:
Is anyone worried about Camp Half-Blood? And I've wondered about Ella. To me, it seems like she should be important at some point.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:14:25 AM PDT
I, too think it's Hazel or Frank. Probably Frank because as Amy says, everyone is hinting at how fragile his life is. But, of course.. when Nico tells everyone that the Doors of Death have to be closed from the inside and outside. The thing that comes to mind is sacrifice. Unfortunately, Hazel and Frank fit that bill. I think the next book, will be.... Jason, Hazel, Frank, and Nico... ^_^.. I'm hoping.
mrs. story- I'm trying not to worry about Camp Half-blood. But, I think they'll be fine. I don't think they're on the offensive. Just on the defense from the Romans. I gotta wonder though if they'll hold up against them, since the Romans did overrun Greece eventually. I do have to agree with you on Ella. There's no way Riordan would introduce a character like Ella and whoops, the end. Her role probably doesn't show up until much later much like Rachel Elizabeth Dare in PJO.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:20:41 PM PDT
Augie says:
I agree, and the book was fantastic. I hope that percy and Annabeth live since i loved them from the beginning. But I'm afraid something might happen to leo, since the prophecy says the world will fall by fire or storm.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:01:00 AM PDT
Oh... the Kane Chronicles are done with? I thought R.R. was going to bring them (or one of the 2 from Kane) as one of the 7 for this series bridging all 3 major myths of the world, Greek, Roman, and Egyptian. Oh well... maybe not.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 11:21:13 AM PDT
'Tasia says:
And...PERCABETH LIVES ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!
*giggle* Sorry, I just think they're really good together. I bet something's gonna happen between Leo and Reyna...it's not fair for him to be so lonely while everyone else (except for Nico) feels the love.
I thought it was weird, in PJO, Percy was always the impulsive one, but MoA, Annabeth was the one convincing him to sneak into the stables. I hope that gets straightened out in HoH.
I bet the POVs are gonna be either Percy or Annabeth; someone on the ship, like Jason; someone in Camp Half-Blood, like Rachel; and Reyna from Camp Jupiter. It makes sense to have them spread out so you kinda know what's going on everywhere. I mean, isn't Camp Jupiter gonna TRY to crush Camp Half-Blood? (Try being the key word.) ;)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 3:42:56 PM PDT
Coren: Yes, the Kane's Chronicles were completed earlier this year. I didn't hear about him bridging the myths. I don't think that would be possible much. The Heroes of Olympus characters brushed in on the final book of Kane's Chronicles. If anyone had read the books here, at the dance where Sadie is interrupted by Anubis there is a glimpse of the two Aphrodite girls in there. Drew and the younger girl. I don't remember her name, but that was seriously brushed upon which made me happy... ^_^ However, since this is a discussion on the House of Hades. Back to the discussion :D.

'Tasia- That's an interesting thought about Reyna and Leo. Hmm, I think Leo and Hazel together got a shock when they went on that journey together. Suddenly Leo probably feels like he owes her in the brotherly way. Yet knowing that his great grandfather knew her back in the day. Intriguing twist and I can't wait to see what happens with them.

And I totally disagree. I think the POV's will be the Romans Jason, Hazel, Frank, and Nico. (I'm hoping Nico.) It'll be interesting to see how they feel about their camp attacking Camp Half-blood. And more importantly are they going to get defensive and apologetic? It'll be interesting to see in, oh a year. Nico.. well he created interested tension for Percy, but at the end of it all he showed up and didn't desert anyone. I seriously don't want him to be a filler in the whole book. I would like him to have a roll. What makes me scared is Nico made an oath to Percy. "An Oath to Keep with a Final breath."... Sounds very suspicious if you ask me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 5:10:17 PM PDT
'Tasia says:
Yeah, I'm worried about Nico too.
But I do think that Hazel and Frank are better than Hazel and Leo.
Why would the POV's be all Romans? I mean, what about Percy and Annabeth? And Camp Half-Blood?

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:25:16 AM PDT
All of the POV's in Mark of Athena were the Greeks. Piper, Leo, Annabeth, and Percy. It only makes sense to do the Romans in the next book because as an author, you would want to create tension and intrigue in the book. I'd put the best characters in the middle or perhaps last part of the book in order to create a good flow and yeah, rush for the reader. But, not too easy to where a person would skip a whole bunch of chapters just to see where Percy and Annabeth return. I'd create some interesting hook lines in the preceding chapters in order for everything to tie together at the tail end of the book. I personally hope for the Roman's POV and some appearances by the Greek gods. At least some of them.. although their aspects might still be stretch among the camps. We'd get to see Frank suddenly have to use strategy given by his father Mars. I think he stepped back because Annabeth was older than him and therefore the leader so to speak. But, it'd be great to see Frank step up. ^_^

I read a thread somewhere where Riordan had said Calypso would make an appearance MoA. Did anyone see or notice her?

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:39:26 AM PDT
'Tasia says:
I didn't see Calypso at all...that's odd.
But maybe she'll show up in HoH! :)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 4:06:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 12:39:36 PM PST
Veranda Crew says:
I think House of Hades's point of views will be: Hazel, Annabeth, and Jason. Maybe Frank too, or Nico. I hope Leo's in it, though. Percy and Annabeth will probably be stuck in Tartarus most of the book, going to the Doors of Death (battling monsters on the way, of course). RR claimed himself they are ALIVE. And at the end of the book there will be a big battle at the Doors of Death, before the Seven close them. (Seven, not eight!) I think CHB's battle with Camp Jupiter will be in the NEXT next book. I think Calypso might be in The House of Hades - Rick never promised we'd see her in Mark of Athena; just in the series sometime. I like Hazel and Leo better than Frank and Hazel. And I do NOT think that Leo should be with REYNA! I think Frank might die in the next book, or the one after that. It would be sad, though. But if anyone's to die it's him.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:38:29 PM PDT
'Tasia says:
When did you hear Rick say Percy and Annabeth are alive? I figure they're not gonna die, but I'm curious.
NOOOOOO!!!! Don't kill Frank!!!!!!!! Or Hazel!!!! Hazel and Leo just does NOT work in my book. Sorry. Leo and Reyna would work though. I guess it would be like Percy and Annabeth. The girl keeps the boy in line, and the boy gets the girl to take risks.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:07:10 PM PDT
Veranda Crew says:
No Leo and Reyna would be TERRIBLE! I agree I wouldn't like Frank or Hazel to die. I saw it on Rick's blog. Try: http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 9:28:40 AM PDT
'Tasia says:
Why? What's so great about Leo and Hazel?

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:30:39 PM PDT
I wouldn't be surprised if Frank died before they closed the doors...and he comes back alive to save the day. Just a theory though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 9:16:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 9:16:41 PM PDT
Veranda Crew says:
Leo and Hazel are just so sweet together. . . . Leo is my favorite character EVER (I'm actually still debating whether I like him or Percy better) and I really like Hazel. Also, Frank and Hazel were arguing in Mark of Athena. I think Rick Riordan will put Leo and Hazel together. I'm not sure what will happen with Frank. . . . And Frank and Hazel have been very dull toward each other since The Son of Neptune.

Or, Leo and Hazel might just remain friends. I don't know. I'd be fine with that too.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:45:25 AM PDT
'Tasia says:
Well, Frank was super defensive of Hazel when Leo and Jason accused Nico of being a traitor...I think they're still good together.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:24:54 PM PST
Consuelo says:
I think alL POV's will be roman as in MoA they were all greeks. Being said this, I think they will be: Jaso, Hazel, Frank and Reyna. This last one is because by her we will know what's happening with Camp Half-Blood.
I really likeLeo and Hazel together. They are so cute! and Leo deserves a girlfriend. (Also I don't like Frank but I know many people like him)
I don't think we'll hear about Percy and Anabeth until the very end of House of Hades or until the 5th book. I seriously hope I'm wrong.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3)
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3) by Rick Riordan (Hardcover - October 2, 2012)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (3,629)