5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Stimulating!
Published on April 20, 2000 by Tracy B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book with flaws
Published 7 months ago by Sarah M. Goeden

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Stimulating!, April 20, 2000
Tracy B. (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
Houses and Homes is a great book to stimulate conversation for young beginning readers! The photos alone are worth a thousand words. I used this book as a lead in for a discussion with first graders about different types of homes around the world. The text is simple enough that they'll read it unassisted over and over. The index in the back of the book, along with a world map, is very informative! It states the specific country where each photo was taken and gives detailed information on the uses of the types of homes shown. The descriptions also include information on the relationships between homes, cultures, and climates around the world. My 5 year old nephew, a beginning reader, would not put the book down. If he wasn't actually reading the book, he was spending time looking at the real-life photos!

5.0 out of 5 stars Houses and Homes, January 25, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book with gorgeous illustrations. I found it very useful in my second grade social studies unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Photos are great for discussion!, July 13, 2006
L. Weichel (Rockford, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
While the text of the book is not particularly inspiring, it is an introduction to the different ways some people live around the world. My daughter is not yet two but she loves Ann Morris' entire series of books and likes to identify things in each photograph. We use the books to discuss differences and similarities between how we and others live. The photos are obviously dated but I don't believe that alters the impact of what the author and photographer are trying to do. As she grows, we intend to continue to read these books, moving on from identifying simple items to talking about cultures, traditions, environments, geography, and etc. The back of each book contains a map and descriptions of locations/actions for each page and will allow us to talk about where places are in relation to one another. I recommend these books for curious children starting at age 18 months and all the way up into the school years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and colorful book, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
My son enjoys reading this book. There are just a few words on each page, and the pictures are large and mostly colorful. I think it is a great introduction to learning more about the world.

Updated November 2013- I now have a daughter and she loves this book too. Even though there is not much of a story-line, this book has stayed in my kids collection because the photos are conversation starters and my kids and I talk about something different every time we read it. Just wonderful and well worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book with flaws, May 16, 2014
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
I bought this for a book exchange. The theme was anything international or of a different culture. The age group was 1st and 2nd graders. I thought the book was beautiful until I happened upon the couple pages of kids with bare butts. Obviously, this is the kids in their natural setting and my own 1st grader was fine with it (after she giggled awhile) however the boys at school went absolutely bonkers. I felt like "that parent" who brought the naked book. So just be warned.....naked little boy butts in this book.....otherwise very interesting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to show homes around the world!, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
Terrific book for showing how others live in home similar and different from our own neighborhoods. Ann Morris brings such large concepts into accessible bites for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it!, July 12, 2011
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
Hello! My name is Claudia, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and bought this book for my granddaughter for four years. It is amazing to see her reaction on each page, noting the diversity of materials, colors, climates and people. And in the end, the absolute truth! No matter where or what type of house you live if you live with loved ones, you have a home. Congratulations on the beautiful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn about the cultures of others., July 25, 2007
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
This is a great way for children to view other cultures and how they live. Children often cannot think beyond what they can see, feel, touch, and hear at such a young age. This book had wonderful, vivid details in each colored page. I scanned the images in and made a lesson plan out of it. The kids loved to learn about others around the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great great content!, November 1, 2013
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) (Paperback)
The book was very helpful in my class especially during our lesson on cultures around the world. The children loved it!Ü

4.0 out of 5 stars Abodes Around the World, May 30, 2013
S. R. OBRYAN (Centennial, CO, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Houses and Homes (Hardcover)
A great look at all different homes around the world and some of the people who live in them. My younger students will be enthralled.

Houses and Homes (Around the World Series)
Houses and Homes (Around the World Series) by Ann Morris (Paperback - March 29, 1995)
$6.99 $6.91