Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on June 27, 2011
Containing some good tips such as read, set goals, and smile, the author was constantly bashing things like The Hills and push up bras then recommending them in the next chapter. Her unending criticism of people whom she refers to as "the stupids" irritated me to no ends. While I am not a fan of MTV, hot pink lip gloss, or chasing after guys I still find calling someone stupid is not the way to go. What bothered me the most was instead of focusing on kindness and compassion for others, just as the late Ms. Hepburn was famous for, the author was more focused on her write-ups on people, mostly based on their clothes and not their hearts. She failed to realize that you shouldn't always judge a girl by her skirt length.
11 comment|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2011
In Jordan Christy's world we are at war. There are two camps, The Hiltons and Hepburns, and women must declare allegiance.

To be fair, I never finished this book, but I found the first half badly written and disheartening. What the author seems to have forgotten is that grace and kindness will always be welcome and that if "stupid girls" are filling up tabloids avoiding them is as simple as avoiding tabloids. I find it interesting that she harps on putting class back in People Magazine and US Weekly, but never suggests picking up Vogue or W. When discussing the benefits of behaving with style, she tells the reader to think of our grand-daughters, and make them proud, even if you're not having fun. In doing so Christy makes acting graceful sound like a long uphill battle with no payoff. And her descriptions of the classy life, pizza, jeans, chick-flicks on repeat, sound miserable. While the Hiltons of the world love to go out, that's no reason for the Hepburns to forsake having fun!

When I see someone who's classy or graceful I'm drawn to their kindness and authenticity, and that's not hard emulate. However, Jordan Christy's misplaced superiority left me uninspired, and wishing that this clever title had been given to a better book.
on April 22, 2010
I was encouraged to order the book by Amazon's usually spot-on tagging of what I like to read. This book is definitely for a very young and not particularly intellectual or sophisticated audience. I will forgive the match this time; but must admit I was very disappointed. The book is shallow and is not aimed to the reader who might want to explore historical versus contemporary standards of chic which is, unfortunately, what I expected of the title and recommendation. I guess I am dated by the fact that I didn't understand that Hilton in the title meant Paris Hilton!
on September 12, 2011
This was a disappointing buy. I thought that it would be actual advice, but it was more of the author trying to convince the readers to not be a stupid girl. That's great and everything, but I think its more geared toward the type of person who is not buying a book about being classy.

Anyway, I wanted tips and rules, etiquette, etc., but this was not it. It was actually very repetitive. I wouldn't be surprised if there were several spots in the book that were identical- I know that several chunks were, but usually she used different wording towards the end of paragraph.

Ultimately, I would only buy this to give to a younger sister/friend who is struggling with self esteem and acting as such. But really, I'm not sure how useful it would be even then .
on March 13, 2013
Jordan Christy's How to be a Hepburn in a Hitlon World has been on my to-read list for a long time. I'm borderline obsessed with Audrey Hepburn, and I can't turn down a book with her name in the title.

But I have to admit, the introduction had me on the defensive. For me personally, I don't see anything wrong with a few strong drinks, dressing on the less conservative side for a night at the club or watching MTV's The Real World. All things that Christy warns against right off the bat.

As I kept reading, there continued to be moments where I felt defensive of my own lifestyle. I felt like Christy was asking me to conform to a goody-two-shoes lifestyle that I don't necessarily fit into.

But she has good points in addition to some of her preachiness. She encourages young women to read, continue improving themselves and keep good friends around, while discourages desperately chasing after boys and spending time with people you don't enjoy being around.

I didn't fall in love with this book like I had hoped to. But it did offer some good advice on being a well-rounded young lady who is better known for her smarts and success than her drunken antics and short skirts.
on November 16, 2012
So disappointing. I thought this book was about etiquette, dressing work appropriately, similar to "Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange", but it was the author mainly ranted about "stupid girls" and how not to be a tramp. The title should have been "How not to be tramp, a guide for teenagers". Obviously the author has some personal issues with women, and to me she just came off very bitchy and judgmental.
The book is so judgmental and the author has way too many preconceptions of what is it to be a "stupid girl", such as: wearing mini skirts is trashy (has she seen the skirts at JCrew or Banana), watching reality TV is stupid, going out and dancing (some people like to dance!) instead of sitting by the bar and sipping your drink - trashy. Seriously, women can be confident, chic, clever and FUN, plus watch reality TV, and have hair extensions. So many preconceptions! Waste of money! If you are looking for a fashion etiquette book i recommend: "Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange"
on November 17, 2012
I stumbled upon this book by accident browsing through Amazon and was attracted to the title. When I read the "look inside" the main points were presented in a very "un-classy" manner. I guess some people become what they hate. It is possible to be intelligent, wear mini-skirts some days, as well as full length gowns and still be compassionate towards others who make different if sometimes unfortunate choices. I doubt this book speaks to attractive young woman. All of the positive reviews are from older mothers and teachers, who perhaps share this judgement of society and are worried about their daughters and students. You can't teach something positive by focussing on the negative. I think she has a message, but this is definitely not the way to present it! So yuck, I wouldn't want to share a cab with this author. Perhaps a half dressed Paris Hilton would be a kinder, more pleasant and classier human being.
on February 13, 2013
I don't recommend this book, even in the cheap kindle edition. The book is very dated and really doesn't have much advice for someone who has already advanced in self-presentation beyond the 20-year-old sorority party girl (or, for that matter, never participated in such a lifestyle). Rather than providing tips for being polite and charming (i.e. like Hepburn), the book is simply a list of fleeting celebrities one should not model oneself after. This makes the book irrelevant today as many of the "celebrities" Ms. Christy disapproves of have already disappeared from mainstream gossip news.
The book is written in an unsophisticated language that lacks in wit and charm. It seems to be written from the perspective of a high school girl who feels the need to complain about how it's unfair that obnoxious girls get all the attention. Ms. Christy would have potentially done a better job if she had actually done some reading about how to compose oneself beyond being revolted by the stories and photos in US Weekly and People Magazine.

If you are interested in how to present yourself in a charming manner, a better bet is the reprint of the 1938 book "Better than Beauty: a guide to charm". The first portion of the book regarding dress and eating habits is obviously dated, but still enjoyable to read. The second portion of the book regarding presentation and interaction with others is full of timeless advice, and will actually teach you something about being "classy".
on December 29, 2012
The author of this book needs some desperate research. The title does not fit at all the contents of the book. It barely discusses HOW to be an Audrey and it is actually very biased. The book discusses topics like the actions of today's Hollywood society, not to make the first move in a relationship [which in my opinion, is retarded (no other word to describe it) considering we don't live in the 19th century anymore and it has nothing to do with class], how to "choose your friends", among other topics that are, again, not related AT ALL to the topic. It's overrated and the author discusses more what her grandmother was like [literally, she mentioned her grandmother like 30 times throughout the book] and how she had met many "stupid girls" throughout her life.

I think Audrey will revolt in her grave for having her name used for such book. I wouldn't recommend it at all; the author is clearly no expert in the area, just a girl who had a nice upbringing and thinks she can give society a lesson on class and grace. No.
on November 28, 2012
The book was just not well written. It came off narrow, and preachy. I got the distinct impression that the author was just a tad high on herself, and it offered no real solid advice other than the overall message "don't be a whore".