Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 1, 2011
I was hoping for protips on being classy, but this is just a slut shaming tirade. The writing is tedious. I already bought the book; surely it is obvious I am not invested in being a tramp? Yet I'm still reading chapters about why it's a bad idea.

What I find most obnoxious is that this isn't an etiquette book but an excuse to rant about the author's hatred/insecurity regarding "stupid girls." It's entirely possible to establish the value of poise and class without dragging other women through the mud. The true foundation of courtesy is to respect others, and there's none of that here.

Kindle formatting is sloppy to boot.
33 comments|230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2011
Containing some good tips such as read, set goals, and smile, the author was constantly bashing things like The Hills and push up bras then recommending them in the next chapter. Her unending criticism of people whom she refers to as "the stupids" irritated me to no ends. While I am not a fan of MTV, hot pink lip gloss, or chasing after guys I still find calling someone stupid is not the way to go. What bothered me the most was instead of focusing on kindness and compassion for others, just as the late Ms. Hepburn was famous for, the author was more focused on her write-ups on people, mostly based on their clothes and not their hearts. She failed to realize that you shouldn't always judge a girl by her skirt length.
11 comment|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
I had such high hopes for this book. I was so excited when it came in the mail today that I'm over halfway done with it. I'm 20 years old and am more than capable of behaving like a lady, but I was curious to see how the author worked the ideals of Audrey Hepburn's by-gone era into modern literature.

What I got instead was complete and utter garbage.

Instead of focusing on Hepburn (which I am sure is the reason over half of the people purchased this book), the author instead does a good deal of name-dropping, talking about her own life, calling other women stupid (this book's first chapter is entitled Stupid Girls), and generally making fun of/bashing anybody who DARES to have a different opinion than herself. The author is so much more Hilton than Hepburn that it's almost UNFATHOMABLE.

It's also distinctly against any sort of progressive ideals/feminism and directly states that if you DARE to call a man who gives you his phone number, you are stalking him and he is a "poor boy" who NEEDS to run away from you. She also idolizes men pursuing women in cases where the women repeatedly rejected him, and then finally gave in to his incessant demands for dates. This has double standard written all over it, and it's sickening.

If I had a daughter, I would rather her bedazzle her cell phone with pink rhinestones than read this garbage any day of the week. If I could give it less than one star, believe me, I would.
33 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
As other reviewers have said, there is nothing remotely Hepburn about this book, the author, or the information therein.
Was Hepburn's iconic role not a quirky, whimsical free spirit? Jordan sets herself as an example, instead of Hepburn, a bland and catty debutante who always aspired to be a broodmare. The idea on becoming well-read and developing a vocabulary had my chin on the floor for it's banality. She tears down reality TV, but admits to secretly loving The Hills and seems to have no shame over her affection for "chick lit" and chick flicks, which are regarded by actual art esthetes as brainless garbage. Her prime accomplishment in life seems to be getting a husband who talks about women in clothes they are too heavy for looking like "10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb bag," a mental image I would not expect from a book on class and manners, who also helped her in assertive letter writing exercises--- which, by the way, was a worthless anectdote to include, since smiling like Stepford Barbie is the way she ended up getting respect in the workplace, according to the chapter on hard work. I should have stopped at the first chapter, since I've met women like this, and it's not their prudishness that grates on me, but their obliviousness. Read the list of "types" of ladies she breaks down by style. I don't think Jordan has interacted with anyone outside her bubble of her female family, girls like her, and her TV and tabloids. (Also, all boob jobs are "shoddy" and wasted money, but pushup bras are encouraged (?) ) I continued reading for the trainwreck factor, whereas I just always changed the channel on the Hollywood media caricatures Jordan delights in tearing down on every page. The light goes off, the light goes on with this author. Very little thoughfulness, analysis, depth or credibility at defining what a lady is. All ladies simply want to marry and serve a man, who are all sports loving and scared of women! I hope Kirstie Alley hasn't read that Jordan thinks she is a slob, or an impressionable young woman reads that owning her own sexuality at all makes her a Stupid GIrl. Read The Female Problem or Female Chauvinist PIgs instead, and buy THOSE for your daughter, for discussions on feminine ideals and what's bad about 3rd Wave Feminism.
on April 11, 2013
I can't believe the author would even remotely liken the advice given in this book to Audrey or Katharine. Formula for most sections:

"Catty comment. Self-righteous comment. Several judgey sentences about why girls who only leave one button undone are infinitely better than those who leave two buttons undone. One sentence about double standards. Name drop. Celebrity quote. Mediocre recommendation!"

AUGH. It may be true that neither Audrey nor Katharine ever owned a bejeweled pink phone. I really don't think that's the basis of their appeal. If this is the manual for the new woman, our intellects should all be insulted.
on March 22, 2011
I don't see how a book about how to be classy could ever have been published with every other sentence bitching about and making fun of people. I get it - we don't want to be like Paris, we want to be like Audrey. But that's no reason to belittle other females and call them "stupid" - I don't think that's classy at all.

I only read the introduction and half of the first chapter before I had to put it down. It was too negative and judgmental. Not very classy in my book. Definitely not worth a read.
on April 15, 2013
As I turned the first few pages, I couldn't help feeling like it's being at a sit-down dinner or that particular Sunday dinner where your over-achieving, twin sister/older sister/younger sister/ girl cousin is there to remind everyone else especially you that she has it all going and living the perfect, perfect life.
on April 1, 2012
I read this item after reading Jennifer L Scott's 'Lessons from Madame Chic'. Honestly, in comparison this book seemed poorly written with uneducated advice.

I honestly don't like posting product reviews but felt that any potential readers of this book should be warned.

I think the inspiration for this book - the ever-wonderful Audrey Hepburn - would be ashamed that her name was being used in such a way!
on November 2, 2012
Not both. There's nothing less classy than the word classy, and while this book contains some decent advice, albeit the kind of advice you'd think would be commonsense, there's also a lot in here that seems judgmental, and many of the things it judges are someone's opinion, and not inarguable. Grace is all well and good, but this book would be better if it worried less about class and more about kindness, a la Audrey, and less about style and more about substance, a la Kate.
VINE VOICEon September 12, 2011
Although the title was catchy, a more appropriate title would have been "How Not to be a Tramp". Christy brought upbeat cheerfulness to her writing, but the book is less about refinement than it is a pep talk for baffled, indignant coeds who can't understand why their late (drunken) nights, party-girl Facebook pages and skimpy clothing are putting off potential employers and nice, decent guys.

When you have to start with explaining WHY it's a bad idea to dance half-naked on tables, progress takes the form of being able to get fully dressed, learning to apply non-hooker-style makeup and beginning to generate a sense of respect for self and others... not an "art of living with style, class, and grace."

Although everything Christy said was valid, and she clearly brings the heart of a practical, compassionate girlfriend trying to help another girl out to her writing, I'm not sure this book is positioned to be successful. Those who really need the message are unlikely to either read it or be persuaded by its common sense. Those who will read it looking to improve their classy selves will find nothing in it they didn't already know.