5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and a perfect gift
Published on December 14, 2010 by motherblogger

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned - - - Female Perspective
This book covers a lot of ground and has a great deal of good information in it. Writing is done very well and the topics are thoroughly covered.

Published on January 1, 2012 by M. Delauro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and a perfect gift, December 14, 2010
This review is from: How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew (Paperback)
This wonderful guide is the grandfather companion to Bried's heartwarming How to Sew a Button, a book that was filled with homespun wisdom from savvy grandmas. How to Sew a Button covered all things home-economics-ish, How to Build a Fire offers a fair dose of boy scouting skills for men and women, but where it really shines is the lessons it offers in being a grown up. My favorite tips include:

How to leave work at home

How to say you're sorry

How to handle bad news

How to keep a secret

How to think about politics

How to buy flowers

How to ask for help

How to comfort a loved one

Plus other useful stuff such as how to build a fire, how to make a good cup of coffee, how to buy a car and how to make toast.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little book for men... and women too!, January 10, 2011
I ordered one of these, thumbed through it and ordered 2 more. This is a fun little reference book for men and women alike. Great, short how-to explanations on topics that you might talk with your grandfather about as you are growing up or as an adult. They are simple and presented in steps that are concise, informative, and entertaining. If you only have one reference book on your book shelf, I highly recommend this one and its companion "How to Sew on a Button". I also recommend it for those of us who have more books than sense, and those who have forgotten how satisfying it is to deal with things directly and efficiently. I gave this as gifts to 3 different types of people and found all 3 reading it. It isn't just for those fellows in your life; the ladies will love it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned - - - Female Perspective, January 1, 2012
M. Delauro (Bradford County) - See all my reviews

That said, I have to agree with another review, this type of book is usually aimed at being fun and educational, no reason to bring politics into the book. One other thing worth mentioning -- although the book description and some of the reviews seem to aim this book at a male audience the writing has a female flair in many areas and it might be better suited if the book were promoted as a uni-sex read. You won't find a lot of detail about hunting / fishing / bushcraft.

3.0 out of 5 stars they are handy things to know ..., June 18, 2012
doc peterson (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've been accused of being a "Luddite" because of my "old fashioned" ways: I don't own a cell phone (I don't see the need for one), I shave with a straight razor (I like a close, tight shave), I don't take my clothes to the cleaners preferring to iron them myself - in spite of the fact that I am a Gen Xer many for whom this is not de rigueur. That said, I couldn't believe that so much of what the authors present here is somethng that (apparently) most young adults are unfamiliar with how to do: smoke a pipe, make an old fashioned, split firewood, and so forth. Of course, I could be just too earnest about what is otherwise a fun little book.

There is a tone of playfulness and nostalgia to the book when, for example, it has advice on how to be a gentleman (really?!) or how to grow a beard. Taking it in the spirit it was written, _How to Build a Fire_ is cut from the same cloth as The Dangerous Book for Boys or The Daring Book for Girls, but for adults. Fun and somewhat whimsical, I still can't quite get my mind around the fact that so many of the pointers would need to be explained. But then again, maybe I'm just being a cantankerous old man.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, March 2, 2011
I bought this as a gift for my son, which was a mistake since men think they know everything---however it's an outstanding book that any woman will appreciate receiving/reading.
I glowingly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars This useful instruction book is the Grandpa companion to the Grandma book, December 15, 2011
Review and revive useful "old fashioned" skills by reading this instructional paperback. It is simply, plainly written, with clearly identified topics. The information is presented cheerfully, in a down-to-earth manner. "Memory lane" may seem like "just yesterday" to Baby Boomers on up : )

4.0 out of 5 stars How To Build A Fire, March 25, 2011
As an old timer, much in the book is common knowledge or common sense. However, I did not purchase the book for myself, but for my grandkids. Much of the stuff we took for granted or learned at a young age, my grandkids have no concept. Although the book is not overly detailed, it gives the person sufficient information to get started and maybe even experiment on his own and that is the intention. I would recommend this for our younger generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, January 22, 2011
What a great collection of interesting stuff!!! I love the info on how to wax a mustache!! Nice coffee table book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fun book, April 27, 2014
I learned so many things from this book. Great to leave on the coffee table and watch your friends pick this book up and get really into it:) Also bought "How to sew a button" it's a grandma book of tips and how to's.

5.0 out of 5 stars the way things were "back in the day", November 18, 2013
I got this for my son for Christmas. He is not really that much of a hands-on type of guy. I am looking forward to introducing him to the way things were "back in the day", should make for an interesting time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew by Erin Bried (Paperback - December 14, 2010)
$15.00 $10.71