5.0 out of 5 stars Magisterial
Published 17 months ago by Wabbit98

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Kindle version could be improved
Published 14 months ago by Jess

5.0 out of 5 stars Magisterial, November 13, 2012
This review is from: How to Build a Habitable Planet: The Story of Earth from the Big Bang to Humankind (Hardcover)
How do you build a planet that is capable of supporting life? What needs to happen to make this possible? In this revised, and greatly expanded, second edition the authors answer that question through a step-by-step guide. Each chapter builds on the next, starting from the beginning of the universe; to the very beginning of our solar system. The first edition was published in 1985, since then we have learned so much more about our planet and the universe around us. From plate tectonics, to exo-solar planets; even our understanding of the genetic code has improved. It is with great anticipation to read this work, for it brings together in one volume everything you need to know.

They cover all the major topics, but they keep it readable for the educated reader. You do not need to be a scientist to understand this book. It should be read by those people who want to more about how planets, stars, and solar systems form. The writing is precise, easy to read, with many pictures, graphs, and charts to help the reader. I hope that it is not twenty years before the next edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy, read, recommend, August 31, 2012
I've chosen to use this book for my intro geology course this fall. Chapters 19 and 20, on resources and our present predicament, should be required reading for all voting citizens on the planet. Future generations owe Drs. Langmuir and Broecker a huge thank-you. Let's hope lots of people read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Kindle version could be improved, February 18, 2013
The book itself was fairly good, deserves 4 stars, but I'm reviewing the Kindle version which I thought could be improved. I've bought several other textbooks for my Kindle and they all "look" like textbook pages which I really liked - this book was adapted to fit my Kindle reader settings for other books (particular font size and a sepia background for easier reading) but for textbooks or books with diagrams and tables, I think preserving the textbook formatting would be best.

5.0 out of 5 stars just starting the book, April 6, 2013
Stephen T. Ruegg (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
it seems very detailed and will be a fun read. i got it as a geology major and am looking forward to seeing how everything comes together in the book at the end!

ARRAY(0xa20f866c)

How to Build a Habitable Planet: The Story of Earth from the Big Bang to Humankind by Charles Herbert Langmuir (Hardcover - July 22, 2012)
$39.95 $26.21