4.0 out of 5 stars Too good?
This book is an excellent resource for the DIY greenhouse builder who wants a professional quality greenhouse.
If you just want to piece together some old windows and basically create a cold frame you can walk into (like we did), then this book is TOO MUCH for you.
Published on July 13, 2011 by Jessica Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthless as a builder's guide.
The wife wants a real greenhouse. OK, I said. After reading up on all the glowing reviews herein for this one, I ordered this book with real anticipation. Boy, what a let-down after it arrived.

Published on April 1, 2010 by "Honey-do" Mike

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthless as a builder's guide., April 1, 2010
This review is from: How to Build Your Own Greenhouse: Designs and Plans to Meet Your Growing Needs (Paperback)

This overwhelmingly simplistic book has information and details that are of a level that I would expect to find in weekend newspaper articles and others of that sort. Nothing of any real help in actually 'building' anything but the most rudimentary sheds is covered here. What are these other reviewers thinking or expecting here?

I guess that there is 'general info' within it, but nothing more. Greenhouse Building 101 it's not. More like Remedial Greenhouse 040.

The one real bit of value in this book is the reference page at the end. It lists a number of greenhouse suppliers of both kits and components in the U.S. However, Google did the same thing for me in .016 seconds, and for free.

All that being said, the Author himself does indeed seem to be an experienced gardener, with much of it in his homemade greenhouses. Perhaps this is what other reviewers found so appealing. I wish him well -he seems a likable sort; but the title of this book, in my opinion, should have instead been: "Gardening with Homemade Greenhouses".

4.0 out of 5 stars Too good?, July 13, 2011
Still, I'm glad I bought it. It's nice to have in my garden library and if we ever want to retrofit our greenhouse with a heating or irrigation system, it'll be a great resource. And the plans are very approachable for the layman so if we ever want to build a proper greenhouse with a permanent foundation, this book is a one-stop shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Build your own Greenhouse, February 25, 2009
Excellent book. The book is well written. It explains many options that can be taken...from a very cheap, basic structure to a more costly, complex building.

5.0 out of 5 stars One terrific book on greenhouses, June 9, 2008
Simple Lifer (Drummond Island, MI) - See all my reviews
I finally "sprang" for this book because I read a good review on a garden club website. It is a wonderful book on all aspects of greenhouse design. I am sure glad I spent this money before we started spending the serious money, and hard work, on the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arkoe Garden Greenhouse In Design, March 27, 2009
I am so grateful to Roger Marshall for writing this book. Even a cursory glance of it gave me the impression that it was the book I would need to bring my plans of a greenhouse for the Arkoe Garden (arkoegarden.blogspot.com) to reality.

After having read it, I am in the stages of finalizing the type of greenhouse I want and making plans for building it this summer. If you would like to see the progress, you can visit the blog. The Lord willing, I will begin sometime in August in preparation for fall.

I appreciate the checklist especially, because I am a list maker and lists make projects a lot less stressful as far as I'm concerned. I was also inspired by the watering system using the 5-gallon buckets and the fish tank pump for reclaiming and reusing the water. I plan to repurpose bricks from a building demolition in a neighboring city for my greenhouse base and incorporate the bricks and the ideas for cold frames for a couple of other raised beds that will be added around the property, and one for the strawberry box newly added.

The greenhouse will allow me to have fresh-cut flowers year round. Because both rock and space aren't much of a problem, I am considering a rock heating system, or a propane generator and heater that can be hooked into the large propane tank already onsite. Roger's book really has inspired me to be imaginative, though imagination tempered with some practicality -- or not.

I plan to add Roger's book to my Black and Decker home repair library (purchased used on Amazon) and work the greenhouse into my landscaping plans already in works on my Better Homes and Gardens software (also purchased used on Amazon.) But in order to include the book on my reference shelf I'll have to put it down first. Oh, and a final special note of thanks to Roger for the extra white space in the book and the wide margins. I will, no doubt be making a lot of notes as my project progresses.

If you're going to build a greenhouse, buy this book.

The designs are simple, the instructions are detailed, and quite straightforward, and the illustrations are immensely helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN GREENHOUSE covers it all, May 11, 2007
Any who would build a greenhouse will find HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN GREENHOUSE: DESIGNS AND PLANS TO MEET YOUR GROWING NEEDS offers up the hope of year-round gardening as it explores a range of greenhouse designs and options, from simple cold frames to elaborate freestanding tropical constructions. Chapters cover basic freestanding and extension designs for greenhouses, include lean-tos and garden shed blends, and discuss not only construction of independent structures, but how to incorporate them into an existing home. From floor to ceiling options, HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN GREENHOUSE covers it all, includes design tips and basic plans, and is a pick for any library strong in homeowner's or gardener's construction references.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that you need for a greenhouse design and build is here, June 2, 2009
This is the go-to book for backyard, or even small hobby farm, greenhouse design and construction. There are lots of different schemes here, from season extending frames to full-on solaria and orchid houses. All budgets are discussed and plans cover the full price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband actually used this book to build my greenhouse, October 12, 2008
Very good information. The greenhouse is almost done. My husband referred to this little book often. I'm a happy camper.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Greenhouses, May 5, 2008
I originally bought this because I am thinking about making a greenhouse. The book is very comprehensive with lots of drawings and pictures. It was well worth the investment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Green house building for the beginner, September 3, 2013
If you have any building skills, you will find this book way to basic to help you very much. For the size and type of greenhouse they show you how to build you would be better off buying one of the cheap kits on the market.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›