4.0 out of 5 stars A must for new cooks!
Published on February 15, 2012 by Grandma

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time
I suppose this would be ok if the writer were right there iwth you in the meat dept. to actually show you what he was trying to describe, but as it is, the book is practically useless. Not much new in it, things that we all pretty much know anyway.
Published 19 months ago by Maggie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for new cooks!, February 15, 2012
This review is from: How to Cook Steak: The 5 Step Formula for the Perfect Steak (Kindle Edition)
Nothing is more quintessentially American than a great big juicy steak cooked to perfection! All too often, perfection is missed by a mile, sometimes even in a restaurant. Jared McDaniel shares his expertise in How to Cook Steak: The 5 Step Formula for the Perfect Steak (Meat Perfection Series). A topic not often covered in most cookbooks, this is a great short book, packed full of right-on-the-money information that will have you turning out perfectly cooked steaks with very little effort. A must for new cooks, a nice addition to any collection!

Note to Author: Jared, I would have given you five stars but you are the victim of the Spellcheck Monster. (Meat is not spelled meet.) You need an editor - and a few pictures of steak wouldn't be amiss.

4.0 out of 5 stars NO TABLE OF CONTENTS, March 16, 2012
Sue B. (Pleasanton, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a useful cookbook as it gives a lot of information about steak: CHOOSING (a large section on various cuts of steak, where to buy, what steaks to use for various situations including everyday, elegant dining, large gatherings, and tailgating. There also is a discussion of what to look for in any steak: color, marbling, etc.), PREPARATION, COOKING and RESTING. However, as there is no table of contents, I had to Mark the page I'd gotten to (being careful to remember what the first sentence on the page was) then searched the word "appendix". The tables in the appendix give cooking times for various cuts of various thicknesses that will result in perfectly cooked steaks according to desired doneness: rare, medium rare and medium.

[There is no instruction for well done steak. Those who want an easy suggestion for well done steak: double the medium rare cooking time. Yeah, this makes for boot leather meat, but that's what my late Mother, bless her soul, wanted! I always cooked one side of her steak the full time to achieve medium rare, flipped it and then left it in the pan while I added, and cooked my steak to medium rare.]

But I digress. I bookmarked the appendix. Then I used a search of My Notes and Marks to return to the page from which I'd begun--that is the page in the text that mentioned the appendix. You see why I value a good Table of Contents, don't you? I like being able to move around in a book by going to MY Notes and Marks, but I'd rather not Mark each chapter when a book's Table of Contents would provide that information while my Notes and Marks could be reserved for specific ideas that caught my interest.

The great advantages to this book are:
1. step by step instructions for the four main methods for cooking steak: grilling (section on charcoal, then a section on gas), broiling, roasting, and pan frying. [That's right. Not one set of instructions from which to extrapolate for one's chosen method of cooking! ] and,
2. a table of desired doneness with requisite cooking times for various cuts of steak, and the thickness of that steak.

This is a useful cookbook for those who don't cook steak often enough to remember what works. It truly is a foolproof method, and yup, I made strip steaks last night. They were perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, desperately needs editing, March 26, 2012
HBS (California) - See all my reviews
The steps for grilling on a propane grill, as well as cooking times, etc., are the best I've found. Easily beats the advice from Webber, Omaha Steaks, and every website I've read.

The point off is entirely for editing issues. So messy that I almost gave it 3 stars, but it's short and concise enough that it's not that big of an issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, February 3, 2013
Maggie (Round Rock, Tx.l USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Advice, March 24, 2012
I can't say that this book really told me anything that I didn't already know about grilling a steak. It did however reinforce my confidence in my cooking technique and give me some more insight into the differences in cuts and types of beef.

If you're a novice cook and are looking for some great tips on how to achieve a fabulous steak, this book is a valuable resource.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steak...it's what's for dinner!, March 19, 2012
I am one of 'those' people who is nervous cooking steak.
Oddly enough when I was a kid my parents made steak often,
I don't remember my parent's being nervous...but I am.
This book gave me a lot of good basic info on how to decide
on what cut I wanted/needed...explained the 'grading' system
and gets you through day to day dinners or BBQ and even if
you want to tailgate with a steak. It was a free download
for me, but I would of paid for it, that is how impressed
I was with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Cook Steak, March 14, 2012
This was a great basic book. I'm a pretty good cook, but not great with meat. This book taught me what to look for when I buy steak and the basics of preparing it. Loved this cookbook. Very helpful. My kind of cookbook author. Just bought his Mexican cookbook -- looks great too. Keep the books coming, Jared. At last, someone who knows how to put a basic cookbook together.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Keeper!, March 13, 2012
Grab this book! It's a nice concise book on how to cook a steak from start to finish. It has very useful information on the cuts of beef which is helpful for selecting the perfect steak of your choice. I also appreciated the cooking chart. I bought the book because my previous ability to cook a delicious steak was 50/50 at best. While the information in the book wasn't exactly "new news" to me, it turned out there were 3 steps I was falling short on. Now I know how to improve the process for better results. Considering the price of a nice steak - this is a very good thing! Definitely handy and definitely a keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than I Expected, February 15, 2012
There is detailed information about shopping for steak, cuts and grades of steak, and and an appendix on the primal cuts of beef. (I agree - butchers can be really awesome and helpful people.)

The author discusses different cooking methods, and I can say that in my experience, the methods he suggests do provide good results for me. My husband's opinion of the steaks I made rose quite a bit once I started cooking them as the author suggests here.

There are a few typos/grammar errors, but nothing that affects readability. "Plus , rib eyes are also moderately prices." for example.

I didn't get a lot of new information, really, but it's nice to have both the beef cuts and cooking tips together in one spot. I liked the book and will be keeping it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Poorly Written Book, July 13, 2014
It is a poorly written book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›