Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Create Your Own Luck: The "You Never Know" Approach to Networking, Taking Chances, and Opening Yourself to Opportunity
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 10, 2013
I admit, I cheated - I bought this book after checking it out from the library, so this review will be a little biased anyway. Believe me, I don't buy library books I don't like! I've always been a go-getter - my phrase is, you don't ask, you don't GET. Meaning, you have to go after what you want. But I own a business, and sometimes I can feel kind of shy about promoting it, because I don't want to seem pushy. I can't keep doing that. Susan's book taught me how to talk to people about it without seeming pushy, and creating my own luck in the process.

I live in the Washington, DC, area, and frankly, you get told to "clam up" and "shut it" here when it comes to showing signs of actually having a personality. Sad thing to say, but I think it's true. You can lose the kind of openness that can make life fun. Susan helped me bring back that part of myself.

And she writes in a down-to-earth style that makes it seem like talking with a friend. And Susan's a very nice lady. I emailed her after I finished reading it, and she replied back literally within a hour, with a fun, friendly email.

Great book, nice author...what more could you want?
on June 9, 2009
How to Create Your Own Luck is not what I expected - but this is a good thing. I picked up this book on the recommendation of a colleage. From the title, I expected something heavily "new age-y," very full of personal mantras and visualizations and so forth, and I was a bit skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised to find that, while the author does address attitude and framing in great detail, she always keeps an eye on the practical and the everyday. Every piece of advice the author offers has real world application, and can be put into practice essentially immediately.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever watched a friend or colleague seemingly sail through life and happen on one good thing after another, and wondered "How come that sort of thing doesn't happen to me??" The crux of the book is: good things come around more often than most of us notice or are able to take advantage of. It doesn't matter if opportunity knocks on your front door if you are downstairs at the time grumbling in your basement and bemoaning the unfairness of it all!

The one major caveat I have to offer is: the book is a bit cutesy. I understand why authors choose catchy phrases for concepts and know that these sort of phrases make it easier to process and remember information. However, while reading this book I found myself occasionally grimacing; the good advice and sound practices are coated in a thin layer of pink sugary icing every now and then. Try to ignore the style in these parts, but absorb the underlying content just the same.
on December 5, 2004
I am a self-confessed fan of Susan RoAne and her work. Recognized internationally as "the networking maven," she knows her specialty well and communicates it effectively. And that won't be my last understatement!

Essentially, RoAne's message is that you create your own luck by reaching out to others, by building relationships, and by practicing proven techniques of opening the doors of opportunity before you hear the knock. The book is built around eight traits of success:

Talk to strangers, make small talk, drop names, eavesdrop and listen, ask for and offer help, stray from your chosen path, exit graciously without burning bridges, and say "yes" when you want to say "no."

As you move smoothly through the pages of this book (it's written to be read easily), you will enjoy focused illustrations that illuminate the vital traits. RoAne shares a wealth of meaningful stories that bring her messages to life, then explains again the process to follow to achieve your desired results. You can tell this book was written by a former teacher; the emphasis on learning shines through. Each teaching is an inspiration; readers will find themselves motivated to put their new knowledge to work. Summaries and action plan starters at the end of each chapter encourage application of the learnings. For some, the experience may be, in at least a small way, life-changing.

In the first paragraph of this review, I used the word "maven." This is a Yiddish word meaning "an expert, a knowledgeable person." That definition is one of many that are included in a glossary at the end of this book. RoAne uses several Yiddish terms in her writing, so the reader gains an understanding of this language. There's even a thorough index to add value to this volume.

"How to Create Your Own Luck" is highly recommended for everyone who wants to smooth their path through life. It will be particularly valuable for people in business (not just sales), entrepreneurs, students entering the world of work, prospective retirees...and the list goes on. Your biggest challenge will come when you finish reading the book: you'll have to decide if you want to covet it, or pass it along to someone else.
on August 29, 2005
Basically you only need to read the first two pages. The remaining 150 say pretty much the same thing over and over. A totally unoriginal book in every way.
on January 28, 2005
Just when you think that surely nothing more could ever be written on networking, the guru herself, Susan RoAne, weaves a masterful extension to connecting with people for synchronistic

(or lucky) outcomes. She clearly outlines the right traits of "lucky" people and then proceeds to relate illustrative story after story. Read this book. Take the advise. Get "lucky"

Eileen McDargh, author of THE RESILIENT SPIRIT, WORK FOR A LIVING & STILL BE FREE TO LIVE.
on November 23, 2004
I know so many people personally and in business that walk around with their eyes on the ground trying to figure out how to get what they want. RoAne makes it very clear; the answer's right in front of you! Success is a true "can't see the forest through the trees" scenario. How To Create Your Own Luck helps you smack right into one of those trees and clear your blurred vision of hopelessness. It's a great book for young entrepreneurs like me!
on August 6, 2007
I have always believed that the simplest ideas are best, even though many of the best simple ideas are overlooked by millions of people. Susan RoAne's eminently readable book reminds us that some of the simple things that create success may be forgotten in our madcap efforts to make it from day to day. "Luck" does not come to us by luck, we have to work at it. In the best tradition of the self-help book, RoAne offers a step-by-step plan for creating your own luck. This is achieved primarily through connecting with other people.

It is important to recognize that RoAne is not a Johnny-come-lately to the topic of networking. She practically invented the subject with her groundbreaking books, How to Work a Room and The Secrets of Savvy Networking. How to Create Your Own Luck succeeds as another book you need to read if you want to be successful with people. As RoAne points out, you can't do it alone. Lighthouse keepers are not lucky. Only those of us who follow RoAne's Reminders will reap the benefits of a lucky existence.
on October 27, 2004
If you've ever wondered how you could bring more luck into your life, Susan RoAne has the perfect answer. With her trademark humor, she distills the stories of real people who turned serendipity and You Never Know opportunities into success. She provides insights and a game plan so we can do the same. Create your own good luck by reading this book.
on October 20, 2004
Susan Roane as usual makes her points through humor and wit. Some of the greatest success stories are when people broke the rules and created their own path. Through her book, Susan shows how each of us are capable of greatness by not stepping over those little clues and opportunities.