Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$12.99

Sloane is back with more essays telling about her life and adventures. What happens when this city girl goes to Alaska? Why can she never return to France? Why did math class result in a doctor's appointment? The answers to these questions and more can be found in this collection of essays.

Sloane, oh Sloane. I have such a complex relationship with your work. I love love pink puffy heart love your first book. It was witty and honest. This book, well, this book just tries to hard to be as cool as her older sister. And fails miserably.

I found the majority of this book really boring. It is so "New York" that its attempts at sophistication come across as merely pretentiousness. Some of the stories induced a chuckle or two but nothing near the belly laughs that her first book elicited. It merely sounds like the whining of a relatively well adjusted girl from a stable family living in New York and trying to be edgy.

I really thought this book fell short of the benchmark and am not entirely sure if I will read more of her work. Which is absurd to me, given how much I adored her first book. Her first book inspired me to write. This book inspired me to write better that her.
1313 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2010
I read about this book in a magazine and thought it would be a nice, relaxing read. It turned out to be that, and terrifically funny to boot.

The book is a collection of essays that include the musings of a twentysomething on life in New York City, travel in and out of the U.S., family pets, and other subjects. The author is quite simply an incredible writer. She manages to be witty, hip, current, and laugh-out-loud hilarious, with just a touch of sweetness thrown in. There are a number of subtle and overt pop-culture references that are hidden like Easter Eggs throughout the text, so I found myself reading a paragraph and having to go back and read it again to get at all the nuances within.

The only minor problem with this book was a few instances where the sentences sort of started to wander off and I got a little lost in her thought process, but this was a small issue in my opinion.

I realize that I am gushing so much in this review that I probably sound like a friend of Ms. Crosley's or a plant of some kind. I'm not, though I can now be counted as a fan. I can't recommend this book highly enough. It was just wonderful from start to finish. I'm going to buy her other book immediately!
on April 14, 2016
I'm only on page 26, but I'm BORED out of my mind and I want my money back! HOW does she get so many good reviews? Are they all from relatives???? And how does a DULL book like this get published??? I seldom will not finish a book, no matter how bad it is, but I just can't waste any more of my time reading this. I keep waiting for something even remotely funny or even interesting, but if that hasn't happened in 26 pages, I doubt it's going to happen... ever! I need to go find my receipt because it's going back.
on April 9, 2011
I really wanted to like this book, but I just did not find it to be funny. I don't think I laughed once and had to force myself to finish it. The stories were not very unique or interesting. Crosley can be witty, but that doesn't make her book worth reading. How original can it be that a woman grew up middle class in North East Suburbia with seemingly nice parents, went to college in the North East, and moved to NYC? I can't imagine how many women are living in NYC with the exact same background. She has the time and money to travel the world and digs deep to try to make her experiences sound funny.

The writing style was not very good either. The book needed some editing. I got lost in the stories, literally. Crosley would jump around and go off on secondary storylines and then get back to the main storyline. I found it to be an annoying and confusing writing style. I am so glad I got this book from the library and didn't buy it. I also got her first book, but will be returning them together without cracking the first open. I'll pick up that David Sedaris book that has been sitting on my shelf for a while. I know that will make me laugh.

I was surprised by how much marketing this book got. I saw it in O Magazine out of all places. Then, I read about Crosley and learned she works as a book publicist. Questions answered... I guess it just wasn't the book for me.
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2012
Sloane Crosley is one funny woman and her humor is present in every essay/story in the book. Although I read mixed reviews, her stories are empathetic and something I already went through or will probably go through in the next few years. She is a great representation of young-adult angst... if such a thing exists.
VINE VOICEon June 18, 2010
Sloane Crosley is an extraordinary talent. Much like the other notorious essay writers of today (Sedaris, Vowell), her essays are private and often hilarious glimpses into her life. From encountering clowns in Lisbon to getting kicked out of Paris, Crosley has seen - and done - a lot. And her essays let you experience her life in a way that feels like you, too, were there.

How Did You Get This Number is a fantastic book, with an extraordinarily strong voice. (Which is obvious, considering her last book, the fantastically titled I Was Told There'd Be Cake, is in development as a series on HBO.) She makes the mundane interesting, the outrageous seemingly normal. Her writing is vivid, detailed and doesn't leave anything out. Her conversational tone is welcoming, and her stories addictive. And throughout it all, you just wish you were friends with her.

Show Me on the Doll, the first and my favorite essay, details her random trip to Lisbon, where she, as mentioned, met clowns, got lost and found a tower that didn't lead to anything. Still, the experience was enlightening in a way a trip to Paris wouldn't have been. Le Paris!, which chronicles two trips to the city beautiful, shows the humor in traveling, and how things aren't always how you remember them to be. Take a Stab at It is a relatable tale about crazy roommates, and If You Sprinkle is a fantastic tale about growing up and who we - and those who were cool in elementary school - become. It's about those passive-aggressive friendships, and how there's no way to predict the future, despite what the game Girl Talk may suggest. Off the Back of a Truck was incredibly surprising - in a fantastic way. While most of Crosley's essays point out her embarrassing moments, with pure self-deprecating writing, this one shows a very honest, vulnerable person getting over a relationship. None of her other essays have documented her dating life, so I found this one especially telling - in a good way. I really enjoyed it, as it shows how much you take on in a relationship, and how sometimes it's too much.

As much as I enjoyed Crosley's first book, I definitely prefer this one. I still have a thing with her last lines (I like last lines to be epic and sometimes hers left me wanting more), and some of her essays were a bit much (to the point that you wonder if it really was all true), but still I really enjoyed the book. Her essays take you through a maze and just when you think you're completely lost, they bring you right back to where you started. She's a tremendous talent, and I can't wait to see what else she has to come.
on February 7, 2014
Crosley really outdoes herself in this book! I've been a huge fan of her for so long and this book had me laughing out loud! Her experiences are raw and entertaining! I hope everyone that is a fan of bloggers picks up this great book!
on June 13, 2016
I was looking for a fun, quick read during a long, boring stretch of time. I liked Sloane's voice from a few pieces I read on her website and bought this book on Kindle. I really wish I could get my money back. The stories were self-important and lacked depth, and they all started to sound the same and formulaic: insert location; cue odd-ball circumstance; pithy descriptions of assorted people whose first names are used; forced metaphor; conclusion. Repeat. I started skimming and didn't stop.
on June 14, 2013
Although most of the book is lighthearted and humorous Ms. Crosley also shares poignant and painful expereinces of her life. Having experienced dyslexia in myself and with my child I appreciated her explanations of how it is to live with, and the wonderful ways humans adapt to deal with it.
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2012
Sloan Crosley writes exceptionally well, but her publishers have done her a disservice by marketing this book as being by "a female David Sedaris." Crosley is more contemplative than Sedaris, and not as concerned with getting a laugh, and many of these essays, including the tour de force "Off the Back of a Truck" are suffused with melancholy. They made a further mistake, I think, by starting the collection with the weakest piece -- a bit of utterly forgettable travel writing about a week Crosley spent in Portugal, a country she had no particular reason to visit, and where she neither did anything interesting, nor understood what was there well enough to finish her trip with anything worth sharing.

That behind us, the readers can enjoy Crosley's much stronger pieces about New York, and her family, and even a piece about Alaska that works better than one might suppose (like David Foster Wallace's travel essays in A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Crosley uses the trip more as an opportunity to write about her own foibles than about her destination. Unlike the Portugal essay in this collection, it is actually interesting.)

I found a passage about her discussion with a priest at Notre Dame in Paris to be very funny. The discussion of her familly's failed pets similarly so.

The final piece in the book is strongest, a rumination on men and honesty and failed relationships, and shopping, and possessions, all perfectly entwined and seemingly sincere.

I have heard that Crosley's first book was better than this one, but I have not yet read it and can not say. This one is entirely worthwhile.